BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 UHP Summer

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 UHP Summer

Post by six »

Just got a set of these installed, BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 Ultra-High Performance summer tires. I will post my impressions on them in a few days after they've had a chance to set-in. 235/45ZR17.

Excited! Ranked #1 on TireRack.

// Review on Page 2. Here
Last edited by six on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 UHP Summer

Post by AHTOXA »

They are good tires. I convinced the GF to buy these for her '10 TSX. She likes them a lot and says they do really well with wet traction and overall stability. She doesn't really push them for dry traction but does drive spiritedly. I want a set of these as well.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
4onthefloor
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 WRX, '07 Impreza

Post by 4onthefloor »

I was going to question why you would install summer tires in January, but then I remembered you live in Cali.
Two pedals, two feet, too easy.

Car: 2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 32&t=13230
six
Master Standardshifter

Post by six »

4onthefloor wrote:I was going to question why you would install summer tires in January, but then I remembered you live in Cali.
LOL yeah. 8)
Fortunately for me, I can keep summer tires on my car year-round.
six
Master Standardshifter

Post by six »

AHTOXA wrote:They are good tires. I convinced the GF to buy these for her '10 TSX. She likes them a lot and says they do really well with wet traction and overall stability. She doesn't really push them for dry traction but does drive spiritedly. I want a set of these as well.
Yeah, I noticed the stability right away. Much better than the Generals that were on my car previously. Less chirping too haha. Will post more about them after some seat time with these bad boys.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

I have a three year old set of gforce sports for summer. Love them. I have every intention of getting another set when they wear out.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Everyone I talk to says that these are the tires to get:

They seem to be a smash hit in all the various automotive forums too. I was considering them for my Audi when the OEM tires are worn out. Anyone here have any experience with these tires?
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Yea I hear about those a lot as well, but my recollection is that they are more aggressive than the BFGs we are talking about.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Yup, they are in a different category (maximum performance) than those BFG. I'd still compare tires in both categories anyway because I don't think I'd ever drive my car aggressively enough to make a difference. The OEM tires on my Audi are from the maximum performance category, but I'd have no hesitation buying tires in the ultra-performance category instead.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

I wouldn't compare the two in the same category, simply because I'd suspect that the treadlife of the Pilot Sports will be shorter. This is important in the case of OP, as he's not solely tracking the car. That means that the performance of the BFGs is well adequate for this needs, where Pilot Sports would be overkill, would not be used to their full potential as much and in return will provide less treadlife and possible lower fuel mileage as they are grippier.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
six
Master Standardshifter

Post by six »

Ah yes, the famed Pilot Super Sports. OEM for Ferrari. The big-brother to the g-Forces I have (literally, since Michelin produces both). Max performance is too much for me, in every way. Cost, performance, noise, wear. It costs too much, performs "too well" (can never reach its limit), makes more noise, and wears a lot faster. My previous car (that mattered) came with Max performance tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE050A) and they lasted only about 14000 miles. They were also $200+ each. I downgraded to Ultra-High performance (AVON TECH M500) with no perceived performance sacrifice, and they lasted nearly twice as long, and were a bit quieter. For you, I don't think you would need to stick to Max tires. Ultra-High should be more than enough for your A5.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

AHTOXA wrote:I wouldn't compare the two in the same category, simply because I'd suspect that the treadlife of the Pilot Sports will be shorter. This is important in the case of OP, as he's not solely tracking the car. That means that the performance of the BFGs is well adequate for this needs, where Pilot Sports would be overkill, would not be used to their full potential as much and in return will provide less treadlife and possible lower fuel mileage as they are grippier.
Those Pilot Super Sports have a higher treadwear rating than the OEM tires on my Audi. That's a plus as far as I'm concerned.
Last edited by Shadow on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

six wrote:Ah yes, the famed Pilot Super Sports. OEM for Ferrari. The big-brother to the g-Forces I have (literally, since Michelin produces both). Max performance is too much for me, in every way. Cost, performance, noise, wear. It costs too much, performs "too well" (can never reach its limit), makes more noise, and wears a lot faster. My previous car (that mattered) came with Max performance tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE050A) and they lasted only about 14000 miles. They were also $200+ each. I downgraded to Ultra-High performance (AVON TECH M500) with no perceived performance sacrifice, and they lasted nearly twice as long, and were a bit quieter. For you, I don't think you would need to stick to Max tires. Ultra-High should be more than enough for your A5.
Yeah, as much as I like my twisty mountain roads, I'm not driving 10/10ths very often, so I would probably be fine without Max-Perf tires. Then again, there's also something to be said of staying in the same category when it comes time to replace my tires. One reason is braking---Car and Driver tested my car with a 155 ft stop from 70 mph. That's better than probably 98% of the cars on the road and equal to some serious performance cars. I'd bet that the OEM tires are probably a big part of that short stopping distance, so I might just stay in the Max-Perf category anyway.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Shadow wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:I wouldn't compare the two in the same category, simply because I'd suspect that the treadlife of the Pilot Sports will be shorter. This is important in the case of OP, as he's not solely tracking the car. That means that the performance of the BFGs is well adequate for this needs, where Pilot Sports would be overkill, would not be used to their full potential as much and in return will provide less treadlife and possible lower fuel mileage as they are grippier.
Those Pilot Super Sports have a higher treadwear rating than the OEM tires on my Audi. That's a plus as far as I'm concerned.
The treadwear ratings are only accurate within the same tire brand, however, and even then, the actual result may not necessarily be proportional to the ratings. Meaning, that a tire with a rating of 200 will not necessarily last twice as long as one with 100, it only means that it should last longer.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

AHTOXA wrote:
The treadwear ratings are only accurate within the same tire brand, however, and even then, the actual result may not necessarily be proportional to the ratings. Meaning, that a tire with a rating of 200 will not necessarily last twice as long as one with 100, it only means that it should last longer.

Yeah, I realize that it's not an exact science. But in my experience buying tires over the years, higher treadwear rating numbers generally mean the tires will last longer than lower treadwear rating numbers, even across tire brands. At least that's how it has worked for me throughout the years. My OEM tires are very soft and wear quickly. Still though, I'm not really bothered too much by that as long as the tires perform as well as they should.