Cosmin's 1994 Toyota Corolla DX "Brianna"

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: 94Crlla5Spd's 1994 Toyota Corolla DX "Brianna" *New Pics*

Post by watkins »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:(other than the fact that hidden under the headlights I have pieces of garden hose aiming the headlight since the headlight adjusters are broken)
Ghetto fixes are still fixes
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

^ Got that right.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:fo shizzle dawg
Edited for ghetto-appropriate vernacular
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

nice work on the engine bay

she looks amazing
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
Draklen
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 Hyundai GenCoupe

Post by Draklen »

watkins wrote: Ghetto fixes are still fixes
I had a bad connection on the negative battery terminal on the WRX and my dad used a nail to take up some space so the terminal would clamp down well heh.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

So I finally got around to changing my transmission mount today. The drivetrain is much improved, but still not perfect. It doesn't chatter from a stop anymore, and after a shift it doesn't buck around trying to decide whether to go or not, it's a nice smooth *vroom* SHIFT *vroom* instead of *vroom* SHIFT *vroovroovroovrooooom*. Only thing that's worse now is quite a bit of vibration in the cabin, but I can gladly live with that. It was definitely a worthwhile fix and I gained some experience. I should do the front mount soon, it looked ridiculously easy compared to the trans mount.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

Re: Cosmin's 1994 Toyota Corolla DX "Brianna" *New Pics*

Slight update. Since I had put in the trans mount, the radiator support started cracking badly. It is connected to a crossmember that holds the front engine mount. Naturally, this put more stress on the front mount and made the clunk/squeak/sloppiness problem I've been having for more than a year now very bad. I finally got around to putting a 1/8" thick bar of aluminum between the crossmember and radiator support. This helped significantly, but I still had to replace the front mount. I did that a week ago, and the car has improved leaps and bounds. No more clunk, no more squeak, and a lot less sloppiness. Even my friend noticed a substantial difference when he was driving in the car. I'd say it was a worthwhile job.

BTW, the crossbolt that goes through the mount was a TOTAL PITA. It was stuck to the rubber for no good reason and required a squeamish amount of brutal hits from the hammer to come out.
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Re: Cosmin's 1994 Toyota Corolla DX "Brianna"

Post by padauk_dust »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:a squeamish amount of brutal hits from the hammer to come out.
Sounds like you're on your way to becoming a professional! :lol: Reminds me of trying to line up my header/downpipe to cat connection with the studs on the head to this particularly crowded mounting bracket underneath the engine on the 99 mx5. I eventually ended up getting the headers in the right spot which in itself took about 30 minutes lol. I had it at that stage and didn't want to mess it up (again) getting the bottom end lined up. So it was either cut out the rather beefy mounting bracket with a hacksaw (which I've read many have done) or try to jam it into place. With the limited working room, I decided to try a piece of long L-shaped steel, against a bolt hole at the bottom of the d-pipe, through the engine bay, up to my sledgehammer. After about 10 minutes of deafening, full-power strikes, that little pos bracket was in place.

All because I couldn't access the bolts clamping the header to the downpipe. :D What a lovely day that was.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

padauk_dust wrote:
94Corolla5Speed wrote:a squeamish amount of brutal hits from the hammer to come out.
Sounds like you're on your way to becoming a professional! :lol: Reminds me of trying to line up my header/downpipe to cat connection with the studs on the head to this particularly crowded mounting bracket underneath the engine on the 99 mx5. I eventually ended up getting the headers in the right spot which in itself took about 30 minutes lol. I had it at that stage and didn't want to mess it up (again) getting the bottom end lined up. So it was either cut out the rather beefy mounting bracket with a hacksaw (which I've read many have done) or try to jam it into place. With the limited working room, I decided to try a piece of long L-shaped steel, against a bolt hole at the bottom of the d-pipe, through the engine bay, up to my sledgehammer. After about 10 minutes of deafening, full-power strikes, that little pos bracket was in place.

All because I couldn't access the bolts clamping the header to the downpipe. :D What a lovely day that was.
Something to tell the grandkids while they sip cocoa in front of the fireplace.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Something to tell the grandkids while they sip cocoa in front of the fireplace.
Ahh yes. I've got some stories... now all I need are some grandkids.
...And cocoa, and a fireplace. :)

Hopefully by the time I have grandkids I'll have accumulated a few more stories to tell.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Post by DKaz »

So, when are you dropping a 4AGE black top / silver top into this bad girl?
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

:lol: When I bought the car I was seriously considering a blacktop 4A-GE swap with the 6 speed, but even though this Corolla makes the other ones here in Chicago look like absolute piles of trash (which they are) it still isn't a good candidate for a swap. Maybe if the engine dies sometime :P
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:So I finally got around to changing my transmission mount today. The drivetrain is much improved, but still not perfect. It doesn't chatter from a stop anymore, and after a shift it doesn't buck around trying to decide whether to go or not, it's a nice smooth *vroom* SHIFT *vroom* instead of *vroom* SHIFT *vroovroovroovrooooom*. Only thing that's worse now is quite a bit of vibration in the cabin, but I can gladly live with that. It was definitely a worthwhile fix and I gained some experience. I should do the front mount soon, it looked ridiculously easy compared to the trans mount.
My mount is going as well.

Chatter from the take-off a bit and shifting is the same. gear....vrooom....shit......vroomvroomvroomvroooooooooom.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

Swap it out right quick. The mounts themselves were pretty easy to swap and it was a worthwhile job. The only annoying thing was the crossbolt that was stuck to the old mount. Other than that it was fairly cake.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

I want cake