Watkins' 1999 Saab 9-3 convertible (updated 6/1/09)

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Watkins' 1999 Saab 9-3 convertible (updated 6/1/09)

Post by watkins »

The original thread:
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... =23&t=7953

As is now tradition, most pictures posted in this thread will be links to full sized images

Bone stock:

A few from photoshoots:

And last but not least, the engine bay as it is today (mostly)

Last edited by watkins on Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Re: Watkins' 1999 Saab 9-3 convertible

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

That pic of the car with all the lights on is bad-ass. :D Sweet car dude, I really like Saabs (preferably the older ones, but this is still good)
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

This is about as new as I would ever go. After this generation I consider Saab all GM
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

As a 10th birthday present to my car and as a fun new toy for myself I installed this Bad Larry:

Pioneer AVIC-F700BT

It has full iPod interface on the touchscreen, Bluetooth connectivity, text-to-speech capabilities, voice control features, and a pretty fantastic navigation system. Its also highly customizable since some clever folks have figured out how to hack into it and change the programing. Ive done about 8 major mods to date.

Anyway, some off-color(I need a new camera) installation pictures:

And an in-dash picture. Its not finalized yet. I still need to build a cage and locking mechanism to keep it in there better, as well as cut a shroud. For now, its just wedged in using some of the dash material I had to cut out to get it to fit.

Last edited by watkins on Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

850 bucks what the hell? SRSLY?
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

No, $400 on ebay.
Its most certainly is worth twice that though, when you consider its capabilities.
Zexel
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2005 Scion tC RS 1.0

Post by Zexel »

I was looking at getting one of these eventually. I've always had aftermarket Pioneer radios in my cars..I love their products. I just can't justify spending $600 on one when I have a perfectly good Pioneer DEH-P7800MP in my car now. The iPod interface works really well on mine with the multi-directional knob..I can only imagine how well it works with touchscreen.

I do have one thing for you to test with yours though; are you able to multitask with it? For example, navigate while listening to music? Does it shut off the voice queues or does it just speak over your music?
Driving stick since April 8th, 2008.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Zexel wrote:I do have one thing for you to test with yours though; are you able to multitask with it? For example, navigate while listening to music? Does it shut off the voice queues or does it just speak over your music?
Everything can be run at once. Except Bluetooth mutes everything else when youre in a call.
Stock, it just speaks over the music. When I hacked it, I added a button to the touchscreen to mute the navigation voice so I dont have to deal with it.
maskeet
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Ford Focus

Post by maskeet »

that radio took all day!! im just happy we wired it right lol it was a team effort as u say
2009 Focus SE sedan
1994 Mazda B3000
1987 Buick Riviera - sadly all good things come to an end
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

looks good. way too much for me to justify getting one with the nz exchange rate. instead i got a shit sony headunit :P
<3 fwd
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

damn, around here, something like that being in plain sight in a vert will be gone in a day, guaranteed.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

The thing is that it actually looks decently stock. It will look even more stock when Im done with it.
The other issue is that only a retarded thief would look at a Saab. Depreciation means they arent worth the risk, and most Saab owners dont care enough to replace the head unit with something nice. Its not like its a Civic or something :roll:
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

exactly why i dont bother locking my car or taking the face off when i park it at my school. its not a cadillac, cutlass surpeme or a caprice, so black people wont bother trying to steal it, and theres nothing in the car worth stealing besides the radio, and people who go around stealing shit, steal it from baller cars, and they know the market demand, and some 10 year old CD player is not on the high demand list

and its a probe on top of it all. i could have a gold pallet straight from the US mint sitting on the passenger seat and it wont get stolen.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

permabanned wrote:exactly why i dont bother locking my car or taking the face off when i park it at my school. its not a cadillac, cutlass surpeme or a caprice, so black people wont bother trying to steal it, and theres nothing in the car worth stealing besides the radio, and people who go around stealing shit, steal it from baller cars, and they know the market demand, and some 10 year old CD player is not on the high demand list

My neighbor had her window busted and $4+ stolen in change. Everything else was left in the car.

I guess someone was a few bucks short from buying that crack rock.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

I have like $300 worth of speakers in my car... $200 headunit.... $230 amp... but they are all really not known brands except sony headunit so nobody is gunna steal it.
<3 fwd