jory543's Laser thread

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
jory543
Master Standardshifter

jory543's Laser thread

Post by jory543 »

Since the weather warmed up a bit this week I've been able to play with my car in my spare time. I'm hoping on having it running again soon, alls I need to do is run some wire harnesses and reinstall the fuel tank. Once it is running I can move it from it's current place and begin the real work. The interior is stripped because I had to put a new floor in the driver side, bad I know but the car is originally from Ohio and came here to NY sometime around 04 where it sat in a warehouse until I bought it. It's had a rocky life.

Judging by the spliced wire harness, the old factory ATX skinny gas pedal, and holes drilled for the shifter cables it was originally an automatic. It had a body swap sometime in its past too. The vin and title say 84, and thats almost the only thing 84 about it. Everything else is 86. I'd rather have the 86 anyway for the various improvements over an 84 that make it easier to modify. So this is my pile of junk toy that's hopefully going to be a fun cruiser.

When I first got it. I had a vague idea of what I was getting into, but I think I bit off more than I wanted to chew. I wanted a T-top daytona though and this popped up after a similar one (in much better shape) slipped thru my fingers. Outside it appeared mostly okay but underneath was a different story.

Yeah it was in sorry ass shape. But it's come along since then.

The old rear cross member was shot, I pretty much pulled it right off the spot welds. So a new solid steel brace was welded in. Much better than factory. I cut the spare tire well out and welded some galvanized over it because that crap only gets in the way.

So whats basically left now is re-assembling the damn thing. Of course it's going to need things like new brakes, suspension exhaust etc but that all can pretty much go without saying. Hopefully the weather keeps warming up so I can get it drivable sooner rather than later.

The motor ran perfect last summer, it boosted great and drove good for the 2 miles I drove it. So once it's put back together I'm planning on driving it stock for a little while. Then I'm going to ditch the crap stock suck-thru log intake setup for a way more efficient later year blow thru setup and intercool it. To make the swap easier I'll just pull the head right off. I have a low mile roller cam head with the better intake and exhaust manifolds that's waiting for that day to come. Tuning is easy, the MP computer in it has a socketed chip and tunes can be burned with a reader and some software. People with similar setups have already done the hard work so it's just a matter of getting a reader, downloading a base tune and burning it then I can tweak it to my liking. Hopefully all of that will come this summer if it doesn't fold in half :mrgreen:
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Re: jory543's Laser thread

Post by noob5,000,000 »

Very nice work. The FC needs basically the same treatment, but I don't have the skillz to do it :x . Good job tackling it yourself and doing it right.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

"Laser"
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

^ :lol: :lol: You made me lol.

The car looks like it's in pretty bad shape, the interior, wait...How is there rust in the interior? wtf?