mtheis's 1995 Toyota Tercel

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
User avatar
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15973
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:36 pm
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT
Location: Glocester, RI
Contact:

Re: mtheis's 1995 Toyota Tercel

Postby theholycow » Mon May 04, 2009 10:31 am

I googled it:
http://www.kbb.com/kbb/UsedCars/Specifi ... llent.aspx
Horsepower 82 @ 5200 RPM
Torque 89 @ 4400 RPM
Redline is likely to be a little bit north of peak HP, maybe 5500 or 6000, though with the car being kinda old and beat-up I personally wouldn't want to take it past 5000.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks. ... rcel-8.htm
4-speed manual: 33/37
5-speed manual: 29/35
Dude, wait, what? Why would they add a gear and make it get worse fuel economy?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD

User avatar
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 8090
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 11:48 am
Cars: NONE - take the bus
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Contact:

Re: mtheis's 1995 Toyota Tercel

Postby wannabe » Mon May 04, 2009 10:46 am

i get 31-36 mixed...:D
Currently not driving anything - the escort died april 2014 and there's no funds to replace it

Crafting and stuff

User avatar
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1505
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:06 pm
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: mtheis's 1995 Toyota Tercel

Postby mtheis » Mon May 04, 2009 1:00 pm

wannabe wrote:where do our cars redline at? i wanna make a paper tach.

I'm not sure where yours redlines. We have different engines. Mine is at 5800.

theholycow wrote:
4-speed manual: 33/37
5-speed manual: 29/35
Dude, wait, what? Why would they add a gear and make it get worse fuel economy?

The 4-spd has taller gears BUT a shorter overdrive (4th is overdrive). Better fuel economy in the city than the 5-spd but not quite as good on the highway. I don't know where you found that info but it's not entirely accurate.
2007 Toyota Corolla
1995 Toyota Tercel
1976 Toyota Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20th, 2002.
Official lurker

User avatar
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 8090
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 11:48 am
Cars: NONE - take the bus
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Contact:

Re: mtheis's 1995 Toyota Tercel

Postby wannabe » Mon May 04, 2009 1:38 pm

darn. what do you get on ave, mixed?
Currently not driving anything - the escort died april 2014 and there's no funds to replace it

Crafting and stuff

User avatar
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15973
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:36 pm
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT
Location: Glocester, RI
Contact:

Re: mtheis's 1995 Toyota Tercel

Postby theholycow » Mon May 04, 2009 1:50 pm

mtheis wrote:The 4-spd has taller gears BUT a shorter overdrive (4th is overdrive). Better fuel economy in the city than the 5-spd but not quite as good on the highway. I don't know where you found that info but it's not entirely accurate.
I got the info at the link that I posted above the quote. Since then I checked the EPA rating...
According to fueleconomy.gov:
1992 Toyota Tercel 4 speed manual: 27/33
1992 Toyota Tercel 5 speed manual: 25/33
So, by the EPA's standardized tests, the 4 speed and 5 speed get the same highway mileage, but the 4 speed gets better city mileage. WTF...doesn't make sense.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD

User avatar
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1505
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:06 pm
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: mtheis's 1995 Toyota Tercel

Postby mtheis » Mon May 04, 2009 4:22 pm

wannabe wrote:darn. what do you get on ave, mixed?

36 mixed.
2007 Toyota Corolla
1995 Toyota Tercel
1976 Toyota Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20th, 2002.
Official lurker

User avatar
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1505
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:06 pm
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: mtheis's 1995 Toyota Tercel

Postby mtheis » Mon May 04, 2009 4:26 pm

theholycow wrote:So, by the EPA's standardized tests, the 4 speed and 5 speed get the same highway mileage, but the 4 speed gets better city mileage. WTF...doesn't make sense.

The 4 speed has taller gears so the rpm's are lower in city driving.
2007 Toyota Corolla
1995 Toyota Tercel
1976 Toyota Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20th, 2002.
Official lurker

User avatar
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15973
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:36 pm
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT
Location: Glocester, RI
Contact:

Re: mtheis's 1995 Toyota Tercel

Postby theholycow » Mon May 04, 2009 6:19 pm

mtheis wrote:The 4 speed has taller gears so the rpm's are lower in city driving.
That doesn't make sense. They both get the same highway mileage, which says they probably both have the same high gear. The 5 speed would have to have its 2nd lower than the 4 speed's 1st before its ratios would be spread more and leave you with a less appropriate gear for any particular speed.

Was the 5 speed with a different engine, maybe? The sites I posted don't mention two engine options, but that would explain it.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD

User avatar
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1505
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:06 pm
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: mtheis's 1995 Toyota Tercel

Postby mtheis » Mon May 04, 2009 6:26 pm

Final drive ratio. Engines are the same.
2007 Toyota Corolla
1995 Toyota Tercel
1976 Toyota Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20th, 2002.
Official lurker

User avatar
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15973
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:36 pm
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT
Location: Glocester, RI
Contact:

Re: mtheis's 1995 Toyota Tercel

Postby theholycow » Mon May 04, 2009 7:01 pm

Ok, I had to look up the ratios.
http://www.tercelreference.com/tercel_i ... specs.html (ratios)
http://www.tirerack.com (tire size - 155/80R13)
http://www.f-body.org/gears (gear calculator)

4 speed C141 transmission:
3.545, 1.904, 1.233, .885; final 3.526
MPH @ 2000 RPM - 11, 20, 31, 43
MPH @ 4000 RPM - 22, 40, 62, 87
RPM @ 25 MPH - 4700, 2500, 1600, 1150
RPM @ 50 MPH - explosion, 5000, 3200, 2300
RPM @ 70 MPH - explosion, explosion, 4500, 3233

5 speed C150 transmission:
3.545, 1.904, 1.310, .969, .815; final 3.722
MPH @ 2000 RPM - 10, 19, 28, 38, 45
MPH @ 4000 RPM - 21, 38, 56, 75, 89
RPM @ 25 MPH - 4850, 2600, 1800, 1350, 1100
RPM @ 50 MPH - explosion, 5200, 3600, 2650, 2250
RPM @ 70 MPH - explosion, explosion, 5050, 3750, 3150

So, the total range is about the same. The 5 speed has a marginally shorter 1st and a marginally taller 5th when you count the final gear. 1st and 2nd are almost the same; 3rd is a little shorter in the 5 speed; high gear is a little taller; and the 5 speed's 4th splits the difference.

I'm just not seeing a transmission-related reason for the city fuel economy rating to suffer. What else was included with the option package that had the 5 speed?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD

User avatar
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1505
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:06 pm
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: mtheis's 1995 Toyota Tercel

Postby mtheis » Mon May 04, 2009 7:02 pm

theholycow wrote:I'm just not seeing a transmission-related reason for the city fuel economy rating to suffer. What else was included with the option package that had the 5 speed?

Cloth seats. :P
2007 Toyota Corolla
1995 Toyota Tercel
1976 Toyota Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20th, 2002.
Official lurker

User avatar
maxpyr0
Junior Standardshifter
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:58 pm
Cars: 2004 Dodge SRT-4
Contact:

Re: mtheis's 1995 Toyota Tercel

Postby maxpyr0 » Mon May 25, 2009 5:27 pm

Props for another great 90s Toyota. Back in the early 90s when I was in grade school, these were awesome. It was "luxurious" to have the latest model Tercel, so I still remember them fondly. :wink:
2004 Dodge SRT-4 5 Spd
----
*Trade* 2004 VW Golf 5 Spd
----
*RIP* 2002 Nissan SE-R Spec V 6 Spd
----

User avatar
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7469
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:33 am
Location: Suburbia

Re: mtheis's 1995 Toyota Tercel

Postby Leedeth » Mon May 25, 2009 11:03 pm

mtheis wrote:The only reason I'm reviving this thread is because I'm drunk off my ass. I have no valid reason to use 5W30 since I moved back south. It doesn't get cold enough here. I still have engine knock and I'm switching to 10W30 sometime this week. I use the cheapest oil too. You know what? My car can handle it. I do have a stuck lifter but I don't care right now.

Ok no more drunk postings tonight. I can see daylight through my bedroom window and I have a f**k exam tomorrow.

You don't look drunk, your english is still good.

User avatar
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1505
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:06 pm
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: mtheis's 1995 Toyota Tercel

Postby mtheis » Tue May 26, 2009 2:02 am

maxpyr0 wrote:Props for another great 90s Toyota. Back in the early 90s when I was in grade school, these were awesome. It was "luxurious" to have the latest model Tercel, so I still remember them fondly. :wink:

Haven't seen you here in a while. Welcome back!


Leedeth wrote:
mtheis wrote:The only reason I'm reviving this thread is because I'm drunk off my ass. I have no valid reason to use 5W30 since I moved back south. It doesn't get cold enough here. I still have engine knock and I'm switching to 10W30 sometime this week. I use the cheapest oil too. You know what? My car can handle it. I do have a stuck lifter but I don't care right now.

Ok no more drunk postings tonight. I can see daylight through my bedroom window and I have a f**k exam tomorrow.

You don't look drunk, your english is still good.

Yeah, my engrish are pretty good when I'm drunk. :lol:
Anyway, I switched back to 10W30 last week when I did an oil change and I'm having good results so far.
2007 Toyota Corolla
1995 Toyota Tercel
1976 Toyota Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20th, 2002.
Official lurker

User avatar
maxpyr0
Junior Standardshifter
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:58 pm
Cars: 2004 Dodge SRT-4
Contact:

Re: mtheis's 1995 Toyota Tercel

Postby maxpyr0 » Tue May 26, 2009 2:59 am

mtheis wrote:
maxpyr0 wrote:Props for another great 90s Toyota. Back in the early 90s when I was in grade school, these were awesome. It was "luxurious" to have the latest model Tercel, so I still remember them fondly. :wink:

Haven't seen you here in a while. Welcome back!


Leedeth wrote:
mtheis wrote:The only reason I'm reviving this thread is because I'm drunk off my ass. I have no valid reason to use 5W30 since I moved back south. It doesn't get cold enough here. I still have engine knock and I'm switching to 10W30 sometime this week. I use the cheapest oil too. You know what? My car can handle it. I do have a stuck lifter but I don't care right now.

Ok no more drunk postings tonight. I can see daylight through my bedroom window and I have a f**k exam tomorrow.

You don't look drunk, your english is still good.

Yeah, my engrish are pretty good when I'm drunk. :lol:
Anyway, I switched back to 10W30 last week when I did an oil change and I'm having good results so far.


Thank you! I am finishing school and getting ready to go to grad school, that has a way of sucking the life out of you. :D
2004 Dodge SRT-4 5 Spd
----
*Trade* 2004 VW Golf 5 Spd
----
*RIP* 2002 Nissan SE-R Spec V 6 Spd
----


Return to “Members' Cars”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest