Silverado's Silverado

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Silverado's Silverado

Post by Rope-Pusher »

^I guess I'm no pharm boy - I thought Bossy was the cow and Bessie was the horse (as in "Whoa thar Bessie!")
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Silverado
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 Silverado

Post by Silverado »

Guess I meant that you should make a "TheHolyCow's 2002 Sierra" thread. Not a bad truck. I personally wouldn't buy a white vehicle, but your Sierra's functionality really takes the cake. 4x4, enough room for kids in back, sweet 5.3 good for towing.
Been driving stick since March of 2009
paul34 wrote:good luck on the stickshifting journey - it never ends! And we're all in it together.
eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mustang GT

Post by eggwich delfiero »

Nice truck, and you got a great price on those new tires/rims. Very nice.
Silverado
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Silverado »

eggwich delfiero wrote:Nice truck, and you got a great price on those new tires/rims. Very nice.
I'm real pumped to put them on, but that would be dumb now because the tires I have on still have some decent life left, even though they aren't as cool.
paul34 wrote:good luck on the stickshifting journey - it never ends! And we're all in it together.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Silverado wrote:Guess I meant that you should make a "TheHolyCow's 2002 Sierra" thread.
Don't worry, I can whore your thread. :D
Not a bad truck. I personally wouldn't buy a white vehicle, but your Sierra's functionality really takes the cake. 4x4, enough room for kids in back, sweet 5.3 good for towing.
I didn't want white, but my other choice was a regular cab. It was a dark metallic green, I don't usually like green colors but I do like that one. That truck was a little better equipped too, though I suppose that by now its ride-selectable suspension would be costing me money. I liked the suspension and the 8' bed but I needed the extended cab for carrying around weather-sensitive crap (and for reclining room).
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:^I guess I'm no pharm boy - I thought Bossy was the cow and Bessie was the horse (as in "Whoa thar Bessie!")
Could be. I am somewhat rural but not farm...

Silverado
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Silverado »

theholycow wrote:
Silverado wrote:Guess I meant that you should make a "TheHolyCow's 2002 Sierra" thread.
Don't worry, I can whore your thread. :D
Not a bad truck. I personally wouldn't buy a white vehicle, but your Sierra's functionality really takes the cake. 4x4, enough room for kids in back, sweet 5.3 good for towing.
I didn't want white, but my other choice was a regular cab. It was a dark metallic green, I don't usually like green colors but I do like that one. That truck was a little better equipped too, though I suppose that by now its ride-selectable suspension would be costing me money. I liked the suspension and the 8' bed but I needed the extended cab for carrying around weather-sensitive crap (and for reclining room).
Unless you're 8' tall and need the seat all of the way back, there is plenty of room for reclining in a standard cab. Doesn't really look like it but there is. Even enough room for a bunch of bags behind the seat. Or a couple cases of beer.
Silverado
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Silverado »

Even though there are some way cooler cars than mine at the top of the index, I thought I would give you guys an update on my skills so far.

One indicator that I am becoming a better driver over the sweet, few months that I have been driving is that my fuel economy has had a positive increase and has suddenly leveled off. I was at 20.5 mpg for the first couple of tanks, but my last four have been around 22.5 (except for that one at about 24 on the highway).

-Very rarely do I stall anymore.

-I am becoming pretty skilled in reverse since I have been Fancyparking in my driveway for a while.

-I am getting pretty good at anticipating when a slip is going to be needed at low speeds navigating around in 1st and 2nd gears.

My downshift rev matches need work though, especially for the hills. On occasion I will hit it just right, but mostly I overshoot and get a clunk as things sink up anyways.

Anybody know what is worse when downshifting, not blipping at all or overshooting?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Either one is fine. Some people here think it's better to overshoot your target than to undershoot, but I think that depends on when you're dumping the clutch.

Since what you've been doing isn't working for you, try a different way. My method is to dump the clutch quickly, while the RPM is still climbing, slightly before the RPM reaches my target. Doing so usually results in a good rev-match, and catches the RPM on the way up which is the direction it was going anyway and the direction it needs to go.

You can also ease off the clutch slower and give it a second minor blip to keep the RPM up, or learn to hold the RPM steady while you ease out the clutch, but it is best to learn to rev-match well.

Danger_Ranger
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 1997 Mazda B2300

Post by Danger_Ranger »

Nice Silverado, I always love the regular cab short bed combo. Didn't know you could get 4x4 with the 4.3.
Silverado
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Silverado »

Danger_Ranger wrote:Nice Silverado, I always love the regular cab short bed combo. Didn't know you could get 4x4 with the 4.3.
You can, and it is not a good idea, but I don't have it. The Bachelor Mobile is 2 Wheel Spin.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Silverado wrote:The Bachelor Mobile is 2 Wheel Spin.
Limited slip, or one wheel peel?

Silverado
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Silverado »

theholycow wrote:Limited slip, or one wheel peel?
I'm not exactly sure, but since I have the very basic model, I'm going to have to go with one wheel peel. It is a pretty nice feature with the package that I got.

I think it is one wheel peel because the time that I got stuck. My nose was slightly down hill facing some trees in the forest and just one tire was spinning out in the mud. Bummer.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Don't be too bummed about the one wheel peel. I know what kind of winters you get in Buffalo NY. If you have an open differential, you get stuck easily. With a limited slip, you spin out and crash easily (especially in a pickup). I'd rather get stuck.

Go ahead, try someone's limited slip pickup in 2wd in snow, or even try to launch it hard in rain...you'll really appreciate the open differential.

Danger_Ranger
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 1997 Mazda B2300

Post by Danger_Ranger »

Silverado wrote:
Danger_Ranger wrote:Nice Silverado, I always love the regular cab short bed combo. Didn't know you could get 4x4 with the 4.3.
You can, and it is not a good idea, but I don't have it. The Bachelor Mobile is 2 Wheel Spin.
oops my mistake, i must have confused it with the 4x4 gmc that was shown.