Vedran's 1997 Maxima SE

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Vedran's 1997 Maxima SE

Post by Rope-Pusher »

So what bilz are looming:
Shawks?
Zaust?
Pent?
Braekz?
Choolinz?
Aicy?
Injun?
Halfshaftz?
WheelBarings?
Tars?
Clunch?
Silverbox?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Ved, do you still have the Max? Did you replace it with a Passat?? I still never mailed out the short shifter, ROFLMAO. If you still have it, I'd recommend something similar to stock for shocks/struts. I replaced mine with I think (I replaced them several years ago and haven't even had the Maxima since Spring of 2010) KYB GR-2's which worked pretty well on the GXE with stock wheels. The GR-2's were listed as the Maxima SE OEM parts, though I think they alternated between those and Tokicos...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

potownrob wrote:Ved, do you still have the Max? Did you replace it with a Passat?? I still never mailed out the short shifter, ROFLMAO. If you still have it, I'd recommend something similar to stock for shocks/struts. I replaced mine with I think (I replaced them several years ago and haven't even had the Maxima since Spring of 2010) KYB GR-2's which worked pretty well on the GXE with stock wheels. The GR-2's were listed as the Maxima SE OEM parts, though I think they alternated between those and Tokicos...
LOL, I know...I waited like two years for that shifter!

Yep, the Max is gone :? . Spent more money than I wanted to for repairs and was without a car for days. Finally I said F it and got what I wanted. I was torn between a G35/G37 sedan and a MKVI GTI and ended up getting something in between. Don't care too much for the new Tennessee-built Passat, so I got a 2009 CPO with 12k miles :). I love it!
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

vedran wrote: LOL, I know...I waited like two years for that shifter!

Yep, the Max is gone :? . Spent more money than I wanted to for repairs and was without a car for days. Finally I said F it and got what I wanted. I was torn between a G35/G37 sedan and a MKVI GTI and ended up getting something in between. Don't care too much for the new Tennessee-built Passat, so I got a 2009 CPO with 12k miles :). I love it!
i hear you. even if i hadn't gone offroading in the maxima, it was gonna cost a lot to keep it running well. towards the end i think i finally got the brakes to stop acting up (after spending a lot in new rotors, pads, calipers...) and there were other things acting up, not to mention various cosmetic issues, minor electrical issues and other signs of old age. the parking brake cables were never fixed - one went out and was replaced, then the other went out and then the first one broke again...the car was powerful, but (and most people who haven't had a maxima won't understand the meaning of this) it was missing things like comfortable seats, ABS brakes (yes, i said it - GXE didn't have them and i lost control of the car several times without them) and well thought-out ergonomics (it's no honda). the car had an overly mechanical feel to it, which would be fine for an econobox, but not for the car it was supposed to be (IMO).
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

Yeah, the seats sucked and they just didn't go back far enough for me to be comfortable (I'm 6'5")...I always had to lean to the side a bit. Luckily, mine was an SE and had ABS. The engine gave me no issues for 40k miles until all of a sudden I had to constantly repair things and it just wasn't worth it as I would have to spend more than the car was worth to get everything to work properly. The transmission, on the other hand, was awful...Not only did the shifts feel like crap, but the stock clutch sucked and the dreaded IPS bearing noise was always there, even after I had done a complete rebuild.

I'll definitely miss the wonderful VQ sound though. I loved having people turn around expecting to see a sports car and seeing a beige Maxima instead. :lol:

Even with all the problems I experienced towards the end, it was a great car and I will truly miss it. :cry:
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

vedran wrote:Yeah, the seats sucked and they just didn't go back far enough for me to be comfortable (I'm 6'5")...I always had to lean to the side a bit. Luckily, mine was an SE and had ABS. The engine gave me no issues for 40k miles until all of a sudden I had to constantly repair things and it just wasn't worth it as I would have to spend more than the car was worth to get everything to work properly. The transmission, on the other hand, was awful...Not only did the shifts feel like crap, but the stock clutch sucked and the dreaded IPS bearing noise was always there, even after I had done a complete rebuild.

I'll definitely miss the wonderful VQ sound though. I loved having people turn around expecting to see a sports car and seeing a beige Maxima instead. :lol:

Even with all the problems I experienced towards the end, it was a great car and I will truly miss it. :cry:
the only thing i really miss about it was that engine
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote:...the only thing i really miss about it was that Injun
Fickset
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
potownrob wrote:...the only thing i really miss about it was that Injun
Fickset
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I am confuse
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

^ Go Milk Yourself!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

No need, wife just did the job...
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

My dad still has a 2000 Maxima, which was the next gen. He's got a loaded SE and aside from the fact that the sunroof limits my headroom space (I'm 6'7"), the car is wonderful. I loved everything about it when I used to drive it, while in between cars (and jobs). It's got about 120,000 but he barely drives it. He's getting on in years.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote:My dad still has a 2000 Maxima, which was the next gen. He's got a loaded SE and aside from the fact that the sunroof limits my headroom space (I'm 6'7"), the car is wonderful. I loved everything about it when I used to drive it, while in between cars (and jobs). It's got about 120,000 but he barely drives it. He's getting on in years.
i think if i had gotten an SE, i wouldn't've had as much to complain about - leather seats, ABS, sunroof and bigger wheels probably would've made the drive more comfortable and luxurious feeling. the GXE wasn't bad but the longer i had it, the more i wish i had some of the SE and GLE features.