padauk_dust's 1988 Accord Hatch DX

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Re: padauk_dust's 1988 Accord Hatch DX

Post by FDSpirit »

That's a nice Accord. Great condition for its age. Quick question about valve adjustment. My owners manual says to do it early on in the vehicles life, and my car is ten years old. Im guessing it was done, but what exactly does it do, and should I go get mine checked?
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

i dunno how your valvetrain is setup and i cant be hassled to look it up, but most hondas, and the one in question dont have any sort of self adjusting lifters (like hydraulic lifters) so you gotta go thru and adjust the valve lash periodically.

with the engine cold, there should be a certain amount of play between the valve stem and the rocker arm, or the lifter. when it warms up the rockers expand and close the gap and it just needs to be there. hondas give you a convenient adjustment screw right on the rocker arm to set valve lash, other cars might require you to pull the cams out and shim the lifters (pain in the f**k ass because you gotta pull cams a shitload of times)

you go thru with a feeler gauge between the rocker and the valve stem and adjust it til the lash is in spec.

you should adjust your valves periodically, once a year should be as often as you need to unless you beat the f**k out of your car.

mine are hydraulic lifters, they pump up with oil and lash themselves. sounds convenient and for most people it is, but hydraulic lifters are much heavier than solid lifters and that matters at high rpms. solid lifters for my engine weigh 4 grams less, and when you factor in the oil they fill up with, that 5-10 grams doesnt seem like much, but at 7500 rpms it makes a difference. works same was as underdrive pulleys and lighter cam gears: less rotating weight is better
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

I need to adjust my valves :suspect:
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

Ok. Thanks. I've never done anything like valve adjustment, so its completely new ground in car care. Most complex thing I've ever done car repair wise was a radiator swap for my corolla.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

Essentially you want to have the right amount, albeit small, of clearance between your rockers and valves, maybe 0.010". check your service manual for specs. The clearance is probably different between your intake and exhaust valves. Intake might be around .006", ex might be about .011". These are measured with a feeler gauge between the end of the rocker arm and the beginning of the valve/assembly. Make sure the cams are not actuating the rockers at all when you measure each valve's clearance. Ensure that the lobe is pointing completely away from the rocker arm.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

set them to 0 lash when cold, then when its warmed up your gonna have infinite duration from the valves hanging open :lol:
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

^^ lol :lol:
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750