Padauk's 99 MX-5 thread

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Re: Padauk's 99 MX-5 thread

Post by padauk_dust »

Some good info there, thanks.

I'm familiar with the TTY concept and am positive that these bolts are not so.

After hearing all the successful cases of reusing the bolts on this engine, instead of buying new bolts I just took some time/effort to make the best of what I have. This engine hasn't been apart before, the bolts haven't been turned down a bunch of times, I think they'll be fine.
Spent a good amount of time cleaning the holes in the block, as well as cleaning up and thoroughly inspecting/lubing the bolts themselves. Took my time getting the gasket mating surfaces scraped/cleaned up using brake cleaner at the end. Checked each bolt for obvious damage/deformation.

Got head on, torqued to 58 ft lbs. I've got a good feeling about it so... I'll just hope that I made the right decision. lol.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

I REALLY gotta stop visiting this site. It's making me wanna work on my car more and more :lol:. Looks like everything is coming along great :).
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter

Post by padauk_dust »

Thanks man! I'll post a video as soon as it's up and running.

I don't think that the desire to work on your own car is a bad thing :mrgreen:
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

i saw your post in the whores about low compression. what all did they do at the machine shop? usual plan of action is when you gotta yank the head is you tear it all the way down (down to bare head, valvetrain completely out), deck it and do a valve job, or at the very least lap the valves, then you hot tank it to wash all the metal shavings out of everything.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter

Post by padauk_dust »

Hey Roman, I took the head to the shop with the valves still in.

They said they "pressure tested" it, not sure how they did that, I should have asked. All was good supposedly.

I'll do a wet comp. check today and return with the info.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Any progress? :( I really want to see you behind the wheel of a Miata again. Having driven one, I at least have a taste of how fun they are, and I'm sure you loved your old NA
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter

Post by padauk_dust »

Well, sold her this morning. :(
Even though I only drove it around the block a few times I miss it already. :lol:
I sold it for 2500. I paid 2000, put about 700 into it. So I came away from the experience 200 dollars short, but with lots of good lessons/experience. Overall I'm happy.

I was going to pull the engine and check it out and replace/fix it, but I thought I'd advertise and see if anyone wanted to pick it up in the meantime. Sold to a guy from Ukraine.

I think it was a cracked block, and probably some baked piston rings.

Thanks for checking, I'll pick up another one eventually. Hopefully one that I can actually drive at some point.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Well that was short lived. :( I think you could've taken off the sport lip and kept if incase you were to get another NB. They look really good on them and I don't think the buyer would have noticed.

Good luck on any further Miata buying experiences, and for the record, how does the NA feel compared to the NB?
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

how sad :(
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff