Watkins' Viggen

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo V6

Re: Watkins' Viggen

Post by ElectroGhandi »

theholycow wrote:When I was 16 it was gangsta-lean, I pretty much drove from the backseat.
That reminds me of Police Academy. I tried to find a visual but failed. You know, the part when the tall black guy is too big for the tiny car and the other guy goes, "We should just take out the front seats and sit in the back" Yada yada

From what I understand, actual gang members drive like that so if they are shot at, they are not at a clear shot through the window. Their torso is protected by the door and their head is protected by the pillar. Of course, if you are not a gang member, it just looks dumb.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I'm pretty sure that reclining predates the whole drive-by shooting gang thing, and is merely a "kids being kids" thing.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo V6

Post by ElectroGhandi »

Ah. Well I'm a "kid" but my seat is usually at 90º. I'm tall and my back will be in terrible pain if I lay down in the seat. I even sometimes bring a pillow to support my lower back.
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

ElectroGhandi wrote:Ah. Well I'm a "kid" but my seat is usually at 90º. I'm tall and my back will be in terrible pain if I lay down in the seat. I even sometimes bring a pillow to support my lower back.
I'm technically a kid as well.
My seat back is usually as near to 90* as I can stand it if it's not already at 90*.
Minimum back strain, maximum control, everything from music to climate control to driving controls are all within quick and easy reach.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
MRdude
Junior Standardshifter

Post by MRdude »

comingbackdown wrote:
ElectroGhandi wrote:Ah. Well I'm a "kid" but my seat is usually at 90º. I'm tall and my back will be in terrible pain if I lay down in the seat. I even sometimes bring a pillow to support my lower back.
I'm technically a kid as well.
My seat back is usually as near to 90* as I can stand it if it's not already at 90*.
Minimum back strain, maximum control, everything from music to climate control to driving controls are all within quick and easy reach.
+1. I (Tinton) usually have my seat at 90* and set a certain way so I can reach the steering wheel and pedals perfectly. Tilting the seat backwards and forwards usually controls how far my arms reach (usually try to have the steering wheel right at my wrists) and moving the seat forwards or back gives me better pedal control. I usually set it up so my clutchleg is a few inches short of being fully extended when the clutch is all the way down, it makes sure I can get it down quickly and easily. With this kind of sitting position I can reach every control in my cars perfectly, I don't see how people can say Fiero interiors weren't well thought out.

Gangsta lean is just stupid, why would you want to make it 9000% harder to drive, if you don't have to? What, so you can avoid drive-bys? :roll: I like actually being able to see the road and being able to control my car.
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

From what I understand, actual gang members drive like that so if they are shot at, they are not at a clear shot through the window. Their torso is protected by the door and their head is protected by the pillar. Of course, if you are not a gang member, it just looks dumb.
i never thought of that. that actually seems like a legitimate reason, although it might not work that well. idk. we should have mythbusters do it and see if it works