Watkins' Viggen

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Watkins' Viggen

Post by watkins »

Silverado wrote:Watkins and Wannabe = neighboors/friends?
no/yes. From here
mad_finn wrote:Thankyou for buying a car wich has been manufactured in Finland :D
My old 9-3 was from Finland as well. Build January 11th 1999.
RITmusic2k wrote:Watkins, she looks like she's in great shape. You thinking about a round of preventative maintenance yet, or does she seem to run well in current condition?
New DIC and some el-cheapo plugs at the moment. Ive been running a whole 32oz of Lucas fuel injector cleaner through the engine over the past several tanks and Im going to Seafoam it and do an oil change soon. Ill also be putting some NGKs back in like it had once upon a time. Ive already replaced the vac lines, since they were more dust than line. MAF (f*cking shitty hunk of nonsense) needs a cleaning as well.
Silverado wrote:How did you get that bottom picture? Is it parked on a turn, or did someone else take it? Awesome car.
Tony was driving. I was riding in the Rabbit with Vlad driving at the time. Stuck my hand and suicideifIdroppedit camera out the window as we were flying along at maybe 70mph
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

Silverado wrote:Watkins and Wannabe = neighboors/friends?
friends only. he lives in RI/MASS and i live in MI. too far to be neighbors
i just spent 4ish days with him in WV...hence all the pics i have of it...
Silverado wrote:Watkins and Wannabe = boyfriend and girlfriend?
he's engaged.
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

Congrats on the new ride :D . Looks really nice in blue.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
Danger_Ranger
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 1997 Mazda B2300

Post by Danger_Ranger »

Thats a nice hatch and a nice blue at that. What year so I can look up the specs should I ever come up on one on the road lol.

EDIT: must be a 99-02 I assume? The 230 hp version?
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

How fast is it? lol. I guess low 14's. Maybe 13's.
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

Danger_Ranger wrote:EDIT: must be a 99-02 I assume? The 230 hp version?
If I remember correctly from the other thread, this one was a '99, which makes it the 225hp version. '00-'02 got some intake piping and ECU modifications that bumped them up to 230. Too little a difference to be noticeable, especially since many a Vig rolled out of the factory making lots more power than they were rated for.

But Viggens are much more formidable than their horsepower ratings suggest; they make about 260ft-lbs. of torque from 2500rpm and up... All you need to know is that if you're already traveling at highway speeds, not many cars out there can catch one :twisted:
Leedeth wrote:How fast is it? lol. I guess low 14's. Maybe 13's.
Despite what I said above about being formidable, they're not set up to be drag racers. Being FWD, open diff, and torque-limited in lower gears, these things don't have much capability off the line. It's about a 15 second car in stock trim. There are a couple Saabs out there pulling 12s and 13s at the drag strip, but they're all pushing north of 450hp to do it.
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

But it's turbocharged...it should be quite fast. Why not?
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

i think it's cool how watkins broke the news via the SS meaet. nice ride man!! do you miss the convertible??
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Leedeth wrote:But it's turbocharged...it should be quite fast. Why not?
Here's why:
RITmusic2k wrote:FWD, open diff, and torque-limited in lower gears
More generally, because Saab engineers weren't interested in building a drag racer and the Saab marketing department probably doesn't want it to get the wrong reputation. Those Saabers are weird, y'know. They'd probably be offended to see a Saab race a pony car.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
wannabe
Master Standardshifter

Post by wannabe »

potownrob wrote:i think it's cool how watkins broke the news via the SS meaet. nice ride man!! do you miss the convertible??
he has a sun roof...so he could still technically have the top down...

Crafting and stuff
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

theholycow wrote:More generally, because Saab engineers weren't interested in building a drag racer and the Saab marketing department probably doesn't want it to get the wrong reputation. Those Saabers are weird, y'know. They'd probably be offended to see a Saab race a pony car.
Saab engineers have actually historically gone after supercars and passing power. You know, the stuff you actually need in the real world. Take the old 9000 Aero and its ability to blast past an assortment of contemporary supercars 50-100mph.

Besides, drag racing is for those to droll to understand the concept of a corner, of which there are plenty in Sweden if Im not mistaken.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

wannabe wrote:
potownrob wrote:i think it's cool how watkins broke the news via the SS meaet. nice ride man!! do you miss the convertible??
Thats not down. The moon roof - as it technically is - goes up or back, but never down.

That said, I lost interest in a convertible DD. Id love another one in the future for a summer fun toy, but the leaking and freezing concerns always bothered me.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter

Post by wannabe »

watkins wrote:
wannabe wrote:
Thats not down. The moon roof - as it technically is - goes up or back, but never down.
true.
watkins wrote: That said, I lost interest in a convertible DD. Id love another one in the future for a summer fun toy, but the leaking and freezing concerns always bothered me.
don't blame you...

Crafting and stuff
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

watkins wrote:Saab engineers have actually historically gone after supercars and passing power. You know, the stuff you actually need in the real world. Take the old 9000 Aero and its ability to blast past an assortment of contemporary supercars 50-100mph.
In the real world, it's far more common that I need to go 20-70mph entering the highway, or 0-60mph turning left from my street onto the major road than it is for me to need to go 50-100mph.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not downing the Saab for its relatively lackluster drag racing performance, and my car is no speed demon but works fine in the real world for me...my whole point was that it doesn't drag race well because that was not a design goal.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

It absolutely wasnt. Saab focused on more real world situations. Its all in midrange power. 2nd from 20mph will fling you right into traffic with more ease than most other cars, for example