ElectroGhandi's 1994 Isuzu Rodeo

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: ElectroGhandi's 1994 Isuzu Rodeo UPDATED 11/6/09

Post by theholycow »

charbs152 wrote:it looks like you are having a hard time steering it. you go crazy with the wheel, take it easy and relax
You don't think they call it a "Rodeo" because it's steady and stable, do you? My wife has one...driving a Rodeo is like riding a bull. Its steering and general stability is quite scary.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

theholycow wrote:
charbs152 wrote:it looks like you are having a hard time steering it. you go crazy with the wheel, take it easy and relax
You don't think they call it a "Rodeo" because it's steady and stable, do you? My wife has one...driving a Rodeo is like riding a bull. Its steering and general stability is quite scary.
The power steering on the rodeo i drove was so light a baby could steer it with a pinky. The thing couldn't handle worth shit (felt like the thing wanted to tip every corner), and was weak as shit.

don't pull the old steering a rodeo is hard, the 2 has harder steering. The rodeos steering is so light you don't know if you're understeering or not which is quite often when you are trying to push it. But for cruising like the OP theres no prob.
<3 fwd
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Bawked wrote:The power steering on the rodeo i drove was so light a baby could steer it with a pinky. The thing couldn't handle worth shit (felt like the thing wanted to tip every corner), and was weak as shit.

don't pull the old steering a rodeo is hard, the 2 has harder steering. The rodeos steering is so light you don't know if you're understeering or not which is quite often when you are trying to push it. But for cruising like the OP theres no prob.
I wasn't talking about light/heavy steering. I don't recall anything remarkable about the power steering assist from driving it, so I assume that was reasonable. I'm talking about stability and handling; on a straight, smooth road the damn thing is all over the place like it has four flat tires on bent wheels with missing suspension bushings and half the suspension components missing too. A shopping cart with a lazy wheel is more steady.

Maybe I'm just spoiled, but most vehicles I've driven for the past 600,000 miles would be described by people here as ill-handling unstable vehicles.

Could the Rodeo on your side of the world not be the same as the Rodeo here? It wouldn't be the first time a vehicle with the same name on a different continent was not the same vehicle.

Edit: Of course I was thoroughly exaggerating.

ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo V6

Post by ElectroGhandi »

I figured out a way to get audio for the next video. Expect it in a month. YouTube videos are harder to make than I thought XD
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

theholycow, it does depend alot on the tires aswell. My mates put some street tires on his and its alot more stable, with the offroad tires haha that was a drive.
<3 fwd
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Considering the age range of our vehicles at school, Im very familiar with this. We have a big honkin old Caprice. Cant take a 90 degree corner in that thing at anything more than idle. Our newer cars will take the same corner at nearly 20 with minimal body roll.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Bawked wrote:theholycow, it does depend alot on the tires aswell. My mates put some street tires on his and its alot more stable, with the offroad tires haha that was a drive.
Hmm...My wife's Rodeo has the same model of tires as my pickup, though hers are P-series and mine are LT-series load range E.
paul34 wrote:There's a lot of wallow and dive on cars of the past, so when you turn, it seems more like a suggestion to the rest of the car, which gets casually followed without any urgency.
watkins wrote:Considering the age range of our vehicles at school, Im very familiar with this. We have a big honkin old Caprice. Cant take a 90 degree corner in that thing at anything more than idle. Our newer cars will take the same corner at nearly 20 with minimal body roll.
Hmm...that's not what I've observed. I have nothing against wallow and dive; my favorite cars drive like that (1980 Buick LeSabre, 1987 Cadillac Deville, etc). My wife's Rodeo doesn't go straight. It feels like something's broken but nothing is. When I try to drive it straight, I have to constantly correct it. It's like driving a van in opposing gusts of wind, except no wind is required.

watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

A lot of big boxes drive like that. Especially ones with soft or high-travel suspensions. They create enough turbulence on their own to cause that windy day scenario.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

That sounds plausible. Her suspension isn't particularly soft but may have a decent amount of travel available. I don't have much experience driving boxes...plenty of cargo vans, pickups, dumptrucks, land barge sedans/coupes, but few SUVs.

watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Cargo vans, dump trucks, and many pickups are boxes
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Well then I guess I'll go back to saying it's the Isuzu Rodeo in specific.

These are more pleasant to drive:

My pickup - one of my favorite vehicles ever, and extremely stable.

The dumptruck - it handles like a dumptruck, which is better than a Rodeo:

A van similar to the ones I've driven...incredibly nice to drive when brand new, awful when old and beat-up, but still better than the Rodeo:

I apologize for threadcrapping, EG, and I apologize for attacking your vehicle...I'm just discussing my experience. Perhaps your Rodeo is better, but I was responding to the comment about you wrestling it to keep it under control.

ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter

Post by ElectroGhandi »

My Rodeo sometimes does that too, now that you mention it. I thought it needed an alignment. :lol:

In general my gen Rodeo is better than your wife's gen, but it is still quirky.
mad_finn
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Cevrolet Caprice STW (at)

Post by mad_finn »

theholycow wrote:Could the Rodeo on your side of the world not be the same as the Rodeo here? It wouldn't be the first time a vehicle with the same name on a different continent was not the same vehicle.
Well it wouldent suprise me at all... for example late 90's Honda accord is actually 3 different cars.
I dont remember what was the main change for JDM market,
for europe stiff suspension and firm seats.
And for American market softer suspension, softer seats etc...

Civic, well Civic sold in America is 3 inches wider than the one sold in Europe. and they dosnt have too many identical parts, even though they look similiar.

I have driven few Isuzu Rodeos, (or Opel Froneras, as they are known here) feel guite steady cars, awsome on the city, decent on highways and other main roads, not good on offroad.
13litre engine, 18 speed manual, total weight 36tons.11 years on the road,700k.miles driven
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter

Post by ElectroGhandi »

I believe in some European countries, this is the Isuzu Rodeo. Not the same thing by any stretch of the imagination. It's a pickup truck!

theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Looks like a cheap no-BS work truck. Too bad we don't have those.