Jastreb's 2009 Mazda Rx-8, "Isabella"

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
Jastreb
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda RX-8 R3, Blue

Re: Jastreb's 2009 Mazda Rx-8, "Isabella"

Post by Jastreb »

What's up folks? Been away from the forum for a while... Real life and all that...

Still have the RX-8. Now with 79,000 miles. (California commuting will do that.)
Have developed an annoying suspension creaking at low speeds (when it is quiet enough to notice). Methinks my sway bar bushings may need to be lubed.
Anyone have any product recommendations for rubber bushings? I know you're supposed to stay away from hydrocarbon-based stuff and I'm having trouble finding appropriate stuff @ autozone...
2009 Mazda RX-8 R3
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

At that mileage, you're probably better off replacing the bushings rather than greasing them. Otherwise, I'm glad you still have the car!
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Ahh I love that car!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

ah yes, i remember her fondly, and i wasn't even the one driving 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

Jastreb wrote: During:
I'm kind of surprised that the RX-8s use sliding calipers in the front. 5-lug FCs and all FDs have nice 4-piston aluminum calipers up front :mrgreen: .

I guess there's no reason to increase costs if they work, I've never heard anything bad about the stock 8 brakes. But still, the aluminum calipers are sexy :lol: .

I still really like the look of the post-facelift RX-8s. I would not mind owning one at all. :)
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Jastreb
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda RX-8 R3, Blue

Post by Jastreb »

AHTOXA wrote:At that mileage, you're probably better off replacing the bushings rather than greasing them. Otherwise, I'm glad you still have the car!
You have a good point, considering the bushings are $6.00 a piece.

I've actually been thinking of selling the car, as painful as that would be. I moved to a nicer place that's farther from work, and now my commute is 100 miles per day and the costs are adding up. I need something with better gas mileage and lower insurance costs :(
2009 Mazda RX-8 R3
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

100 miles a day!

The longest commute I've ever done was about 76 miles a day, and I will never, ever (willingly or long term) do that again. Too much lost time, too much wasted money. A nice place isn't worth it to me at all.

My commute today is 9 miles round trip. Would bike it, if it weren't for non bike-friendly Dallas.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

My worst commute was 11 miles each way. My rule is no more than a half hour drive each way. Fortunately my drive is currently between 7 and 25 minutes depending on traffic.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

watkins wrote:My worst commute was 11 miles each way. My rule is no more than a half hour drive each way. Fortunately my drive is currently between 7 and 25 minutes depending on traffic.
I had an hour commute each way when in WV. But since then, I've never had more than 35 minutes in rush hour traffic. Since I'm in school and have longer days, I rarely hit rush hour traffic because I'm usually at work by about 8 and don't leave work until close to 6, when traffic has died down again (at least somewhat). My current commute is somewhere between 20-30 minutes each way, depending on traffic, day, and time.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

What about getting a second cheaper car to use for commuter duty, then you can keep the sweet blue rocket for weekend/non-commuting duty. VROOOOOM!!!!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

potownrob wrote:What about getting a second cheaper car to use for commuter duty, then you can keep the sweet blue rocket for weekend/non-commuting duty. VROOOOOM!!!!
That might reduce his gas costs, but insurance would actually go up. It is certainly an idea for consideration though, if he has the space/money.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

AHTOXA wrote:The longest commute I've ever done was about 76 miles a day, and I will never, ever (willingly or long term) do that again. Too much lost time, too much wasted money. A nice place isn't worth it to me at all.
That's about my commute length and it's really nice. I get to spend time alone with my car and my music. It does help that my commute is pleasant, rarely any significant traffic and most of it is scenic.
potownrob wrote:What about getting a second cheaper car to use for commuter duty, then you can keep the sweet blue rocket for weekend/non-commuting duty. VROOOOOM!!!!
Cars exist to be driven, not to rot in the garage. Why spend 15 hours per week miserable in a crappy beater and leave your awesome vroom machine at home?

I dunno, maybe I'm just weird...I'd also rather spend time with my wife than someone I don't care about.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

I spend plenty of time alone and with my music - that's the reason I live alone and not with a roommate.

Lengthy commuting kills time that I could use to: walk/play with dog, relax, do minor work, masturbate excessively, read a book, ponder which cereal to eat, look at cat videos online, wonder how radioactive most of Pripyat' is, wash and lube the bike, parade in lycra shorts around the house, experiment with matches, drink beer, clean guns, pickup a hot neighbor chick, fail at picking up a hot neighbor chick, join a hippy organization, check fluids in the car, release diarrhea, provide positive community resource, take a crap, paint the tub, try to catch a squirrel, watch youtube, name a pet spider, grow nighcrawlers, take up a new sport, measure penis length, get arrested, have kinky sex.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

You missed combing your beard.