Eaglecatcher's 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo (pics on pg. 3)

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Eaglecatcher's 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo (pics on pg. 3)

Post by theholycow »

Hmm...wunderground.com says it was 38 to 53 there.

That white coming out of the tailpipe in that video was definitely caused by the excessively rich condition.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 VW GTI 1.8T 5speed

Post by mesaboogie18 »

Exhaust first, then intake...and if you can't afford the full exhaust system at once then do the downpipe first. Intake is just gonna sound cool and not gain much on a turbo car. Exhaust will put a smile on your face and register on the butt dyno big time.

And once you get more $$$ later down the road for mods, MBC for moar booooosssttt, a BOV or DV to get rid of that excess boooossst and awesome sounds, and a FMIC or 2 large SMIC's to keep things nice and cool. As for intake, just throw an AEM dryflow or whatever filter you like right on the end of the mass airflow sensor and call it a day. CAI are worthless on F/I cars...that's what the intercooler is for. My 2 cents. 8)

Beautiful car btw. :)
2004 VW GTI 1.8T

"Forgiveness is between them and God...I arrange the meeting"
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

Oh yes. Mods will come when money is available. Currently I'm resisting the urge so I'll have enough to buy my exhaust and install it over spring break. HKS Hipower :D Straightest damn exhaust I've ever seen, and huge ass cans. But they work on the Z. Intake is just removing the stock airbox and replacing with a cone filter and a flow port thing (it's called a pop charger) and they're well known to help wake it up, since the stock box is pretty restrictive. Intake is under the nose panel, so it's practically a CAI anyway. Already took out the little dash clock (that doesn't work on any Z's, ever) and will be putting in either an EBC or a turbo timer. Hopefully an EBC if I have the money, but if not, a turbo timer to help keep my turbos as long as possible, lol. I also gotta replace the wing though. f**k wing rot... Hopefully that hatch isn't rusted underneath though, lol. If it is it'll just be a fun weekend of minor body work underneath the wing. But that'll be a 450-500 excursion... Would go wingless, but that's even more expensive (go figure...). I'll do that when it's full repaint time.

But maintenance definitely comes 1st, haha.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

Intake is on it's way. :D I sprayed the MAF with some cleaner today and that helped immensely with low RPM smoothness, but I coudln't get to the front of it as I didn't feel like pulling off the stock airbox and putting it back in (PITA). I already broke a clip or two and figured what the hell, why not get the intake then clean some of that mess up. I also need to run a boost leak test, so I'd need to remove it all anyway. Why not replace it while I'm doing it and make it that much easier.

But good lord the car roasts the tires in 1st gear when it hits boost. No they're not the best tires, but they certainly aren't bad tires. :twisted:
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

eaglecatcher wrote:but they certainly aren't bad tires. :twisted:
Keep roasting them, that'll change. :twisted:
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
jmpeace501
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 BMW Z4

Post by jmpeace501 »

nice ride!!!! 8) congrats!!
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

beautiful. congrats!
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

eaglecatcher wrote:
Got it warmed up and hopped on the highway. Pulled onto the on ramp and floored it, hit 90 before I even realized it. Slowed back down to 60ish to merge, lol, then a BMW blew by me at like 90. So I was at 100 right up his ass in no time flat. The car isn't stupendously fast off the line and around town, but I suppose that's the nature of a turbo car with a high redline is for highway speed, which, it certainly has enough of. My rustang used to start losing acceleration around 90. This thing just kept on going well over 100, lol. I only took it up to about 100 but damn it got there in a hurry and showed no sign of quitting, haha. And in 1st, going around a turn just a decent kick of the throttle gets you a perfect powerslide. But I'm trying not to beat the snot out of it so with things like that it's only gentle power-over slides. No hammer shifting and clutch kicks, lol. I hit my head on the t=top latch today and broke the plastic around the latch loose, lol.
Sounds like myself :mrgreen:
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

Been working on it a bit lately.

Drove it the other night and got to the gas station and flipped out because smoke was coming out of the hood. Popped it and there was a bit of oil spray all over the drivers side shock tower. Turns out (just found this today) that I hadn't put the dipstick all the way back in. *palmface* That also explained my temporarily low oil pressure.

Tightened up all the fuel lines which got rid of a bit of the fuel smell which is good. Probably had small leaks.

Did boost leak tests today. Have one at the rear of the engine but I cannot for the life of me figure out where it is. Will likely just wait until a tech day this summer and enlist the local Z guys to figure it out.

Adjusted my intake as well, and then took it for a drive.

Good god I can hear the turbos spool now and I love it :D Once I fix this boost leak I think it'll be running perfectly. I'm saving to buy my exhaust for spring break, but it could be summer before I get it. Just going to continue fixing small things and do some deletes and relocations for now :D
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

Intake Pics

Stock big restrictive airbox:

Pop Charger (K&N Cone Filter)
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Eaglecatcher's 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo (w/ pics)

Post by potownrob »

eaglecatcher wrote:haha. So I think the prognosis is definitely that it's running rich.

Tomorrow I'm going to be checking spark plugs, running O2 sensor test, and checking the TPS and a few other things, hopefully narrow this down a bit. Whew that's a HUGE relief...

congrats on the new ride btw 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

my friend whos a diehard nissan fan and who is currently rebuilding an old 300ZX atm would cream if he saw this thing. definitely a good buy and its good to see someone who loves their car so much
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

LHOswald wrote:my friend whos a diehard nissan fan and who is currently rebuilding an old 300ZX atm would cream if he saw this thing. definitely a good buy and its good to see someone who loves their car so much
Haha it's definitely my baby. Come spring break I'm going to be replacing every damn hose and doing a bunch of relocates and deletes.

I'm surprised Paolo hasn't said anything yet, haha.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

So apparently my Z doesn't smoke anymore according to my dad. I'm guessing it was the 30-40 degree temps and all the water collected in the exhaust which is likely the reason it's practically rusted through and water drips out of the joint between the h pipe and mufflers... Could still be a bigger issue, but that's a good sign at the very least. It's only had a like 15k miles on it in the past 10 years, and almost none in the past few years. So it makes sense that with all the built up condensation in the exhaust it just fed the rust monsters and has pretty much shot the stock system.

Now for the new goodies to be installed over spring break. I'm going for a relatively mild interior theme, black with redstitching where applicable, and trying to keep all my interior gauges/lighting blue/white where possible.

Nismo Red Stitch Shift Knob, or as you all like to call it, THE PENIS SHIFTER!!! (to go with my red stitched seats and eventually e brake handle and shift/ebrake boots)

HKS Type 1 Turbo Timer

Does all sorts of nifty shit like 0-60 times, 1/4 mile (and a number of other performance measurements), electrical system voltage (very handy, Z's have no voltmeter), auto/manual preset cool down times, and a few other things.

Since I'm often running late for work and whatnot and it's stupid hot in Texas summers, I decided it would be a good idea to get one and get it installed. Not to mention I need to make these turbos last absolutely as long as possible. I've yet to order it yet, but I will in the next couple of days. Shuffling money around between two unlinked bank accounts and paypal is kind of annoying. However they should be all setup and ready in a couple days which is nice.

And it still remains to be seen whether I'm gonna be getting the HKS HiPower exhaust yet or not... We'll just have to see. If it doesn't happen over Spring Break, it definitely will over summer.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Do not order a turbo timer. Get a Scangauge II instead and just keep out of boost for the last bit of your drive. Turbo timers are absolutely stupid and ricetastic for street cars