volunteering at a golf fundraiser?

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
siffanly
Junior Standardshifter

volunteering at a golf fundraiser?

Post by siffanly »

What do you wear if you are volunteering at a golf fundraiser? I am volunteering for a golf fundraiser in September in the Northeast. I have never been to a golf event, I've just seen them on TV. I will not be golfing, but I will be helping set up and mingling. Do I wear sporty golf clothes? Do I wear a sun dress? Help!
Last edited by siffanly on Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Re: volunteering at a golf fundraiser?

Post by Warner »

Wow, you're lucky you came here before making a bit of a fool of yourself. It is a little known fact (but well known around much of the golf community) that traditional wear for these types of events consists mainly of celebratory animal costumes. The televised ones are different, of course (they have to appeal to a wider audience unaware of the tradition), but every non-televised one I have been to has people running around dressed as various animals you find around the golf course (squirrels, tortoises, etc.)

It started in the United States in the late 1930s when golf was transforming into more of a celebratory sport than a competitive one (as you probably know, competition became somewhat frowned upon during the great depression). It became tradition to celebrate the lives of the animals around the course whose habitat we occupy by dressing up as them. It is a display of appreciation to mother nature, in a way. While this tradition has died down a bit over the years, it is still employed during fundraisers as a throwback to our past.

Most women choose a peacock for their first animal, but that is largely overplayed and considered tasteless. I recommend a white rabbit suit with large pink ears since they're relatively easy to find, inexpensive, and it will show a sense of modesty and appreciation for the true meaning of the tradition.

Something like this is what you should be looking for:

theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo V6

Post by ElectroGhandi »

This instantaneous went from spam thread to legendary thread.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

The paid workers still wear those cute little skirts with spare balls in the back pocket?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo V6

Post by ElectroGhandi »

I actually work at a golf course. I could tell you the answers, but I don't feel like it.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ElectroGhandi wrote:I actually work at a golf course. I could tell you the answers, but I don't feel like it.
Does anybody WORK at a golf course?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

I work beneath a golf course... you know, in a bunker.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

RITmusic2k wrote:I work beneath a golf course... you know, in a bunker.
That's a load of BUNK!
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

Warner wrote:Wow, you're lucky you came here before making a bit of a fool of yourself. It is a little known fact (but well known around much of the golf community) that traditional wear for these types of events consists mainly of celebratory animal costumes. The televised ones are different, of course (they have to appeal to a wider audience unaware of the tradition), but every non-televised one I have been to has people running around dressed as various animals you find around the golf course (squirrels, tortoises, etc.)

It started in the United States in the late 1930s when golf was transforming into more of a celebratory sport than a competitive one (as you probably know, competition became somewhat frowned upon during the great depression). It became tradition to celebrate the lives of the animals around the course whose habitat we occupy by dressing up as them. It is a display of appreciation to mother nature, in a way. While this tradition has died down a bit over the years, it is still employed during fundraisers as a throwback to our past.

Most women choose a peacock for their first animal, but that is largely overplayed and considered tasteless. I recommend a white rabbit suit with large pink ears since they're relatively easy to find, inexpensive, and it will show a sense of modesty and appreciation for the true meaning of the tradition.

Something like this is what you should be looking for:

ABSOLUTE WIN.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

:o
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.