Project Christine slo Hackensteinberg

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Project Christine slo Hackensteinberg

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote: Bad news: My wife just randomly got pissed off at me. I asked if she wants to go to the air show this weekend. She said no way, and then didn't want me to go. While searching for some kind of reason to give me why I shouldn't go she cited her friend's birthday party that I wasn't going to anyway...pfft, women...
...can't live with 'em and you can't live with 'em.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher, thank you for editing the excess quoted material out of that.

Folks, if you missed my last post due to his page win, you really should read the last post on the previous page.

Anyway, I thought of how I might cut off that bolt...either using the remote dremel attachment or the incredibly cheesy 12v mini-dremel I have.

1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Is the gauge face constructed such that you could cut the fuel gauge face so it would fit in the top half of the shift quadrant bezel? I know you can get custom gauge faces made, but that might be outside the philosophy of this build. :)
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

IMBoring25 wrote:I know you can get custom gauge faces made, but that might be outside the philosophy of this build. :)
theholycow wrote:...Hack - Obvious...
Yeah, I think it might just be...
:lol:
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

IMBoring25 wrote:Is the gauge face constructed such that you could cut the fuel gauge face so it would fit in the top half of the shift quadrant bezel?
That's pretty much my hacking plan, if I do hack it.

theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Question:
I'm planning to put the clutch master cylinder through the firewall. In the S10 it was mounted to the firewall with a hole for the push rod. Now the master cylinder's body will go right through a larger hole. Any objections? Bad idea?

watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Do it.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Has anybody here taken a transmission off of a RWD vehicle? I can't imagine how anyone could remove the bolts that connect the bellhousing to the engine near the top of the bellhousing / at the firewall.

The only way I can imagine is with a stubby-handled pneumatic-powered box end wrench...but I don't think such a beast exists.

noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

I have, on a friend's FC. I don't remember it being particularly difficult, aside from being annoying as hell. I'd imagine everything's a little more cramped in your case however, seeing as the engine is much larger and it looks like they stuffed a bunch of stuff up by the firewall.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

A friend on another forum with a similar Buick says he was able to do it with a regular box-end wrench. I'll see if one fits, and then I think I'll take the opportunity to buy a ratcheting box-end wrench if I don't already have one in the right size.

watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

I pulled the transmission out of a Bullitt once. Took a long extension and u-joint.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

In the S10 it looks like I can do that if I lower the transmission and engine a little bit.

I'm not sure about the Buick...it seems like the engine bay is generally more full.

LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

what is the exact problem you are having with taking off the transmission? socket\wrench hard to keep on?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like no tool will fit into the non-existent space where the bolts are.

I was unable to photograph them on the Buick, but here's one on the S10:

Not visible above the top of the picture: The firewall juts forward. So, it's not like I could stick a normal wrench in there. I could probably get a stubby wrench in there, and if I'm lucky I could get a ratcheting box-end one on that head...but is a stubby wrench going to be enough leverage?

I think if I remove the crossmember and lower the transmission slightly, it should expose that bolt underneath and I can use long ratchet extensions. Hopefully it does the same for the other bolts.

theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

WooHoo! I removed the T5 from the S10. I have actually successfully removed a transmission from a vehicle!!!!!

That'd be one small step for a mechanic, but it's one giant leap for my kind!

I was surprised just how far down it would go as I lowered it still attached to the engine. I got about 4 inches drop at the shifter hole (near the front of the tail housing). That gave me enough room to awkwardly reach the upper bellhousing bolts using my wobble extensions. It was awkward but feasible.

Once all the bolts were out, it didn't want to pull back. Everything and everybody says "just pull it straight back" as if you could just give it a tug with one hand. I used a ratchet strap hooked on the rear axle to pull it. At first it wouldn't budge. I worked around the edge with a screwdriver wherever I could get it in, and after a few minutes of that it came free.

Then as I was lowering it, apparently I didn't do a good enough job strapping it to the jack because it fell right off the jack sideways. A proper transmission jack would have helped. I think I'll rig up something better than what I did.

Then I had to jack the truck up to get it out from under the truck. It's parked on top of two layers of 2x lumber, just enough to work under...but apparently not enough for the bellhousing to clear.

I am surprised at how light it is. I thought I was going to hurt my back if I tried to lift/carry it. It's supposed to be 75 pounds. In my job I used to lift 80 pounds, throw it up on my shoulder, and climb up a ladder onto roofs with it...but I haven't done that in 4 years, and even then I tried to avoid that job. It doesn't feel like a bundle of shingles. It feels like 50 pounds. I'll have to get it cleaned up and then get a scale under it. It feels very light and easy to handle.

I thought I noticed a crack in the metal in the bellhousing at the starter bump but I can't see it now. I'm going to go back outside and start cleaning it up. I think I might bring it indoors, since it's so light, where I can work on it on rainy days/when it's dark outs. I intend to open it up and check for obvious damage/wear, learn about its guts, look for what may be a messed up centering spring, and maybe replace some stuff before I put it in the Buick.

I was just so excited that I had to post!