Project Christine slo Hackensteinberg

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Project Christine slo Hackensteinberg

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Is it leaking from the Phil plug?

Shift Tower Cover?

Porous case? (It is incredible hominy thymes alumimum castings will have porous areas due to floss in the casting process.)

Case Seam?

Does it leak when sitting, or only when/after driving?

Is the vent venting, or does it build internal pressure as things heat up? (Does it have a jiggle-cap vent?)
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I think I might have to clean it up, dry it off, and then let it sit to see if it leaks at a stop before driving and re-checking, to try to see evidence of a path of the leak.

I googled for t5 leaks and found some good suggestions...especially this: If overfilled, the vent might leak. Well guess what: I overfilled it. On purpose. You know, in case it was going to leak. :lol:

Also suggested: Speedometer output, driveshaft slip yoke seal, and the things you suggested.

Have I mentioned how awesome the new shifter position is? It's like a cockpit now. Also, how awesome everything works, firm, smooth, quiet, and even quick...
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Yeth, an over-phillt trans is likely to burp a bit.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Brake lights were dead and I struggled for a couple hours trying to locate the wiring failure, mostly working under the dash where the clutch pedal is...turned out to be in the trunk, a repair that I've done before. Stupid solid aluminum wires, how the heck much weight could they possibly have saved?

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:Brake lights were dead and I struggled for a couple hours trying to locate the wiring failure, mostly working under the dash where the clutch pedal is...turned out to be in the trunk, a repair that I've done before. Stupid solid aluminum wires, how the heck much weight could they possibly have saved?
...and that was BEFORE the prolifertion of electronics that today's vehicle feature. Today, the mass of the wiring in a vehicle is a significant concern, especially given the challenging fuel economy goals.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:...and that was BEFORE the prolifertion of electronics that today's vehicle feature. Today, the mass of the wiring in a vehicle is a significant concern, especially given the challenging fuel economy goals.
I get the feeling that some of the seemingly unnecessarily complex digital buses and networks exist for that reason, so that more signals can be crammed into less wiring mass.

IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Enter CAN.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

I think this video might be useful for this thread at one time.

2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IMBoring25 wrote:Enter CAN.
Can hasn't pulled any weight or complexity out of the wiring, just maybe kept it from being even wurst than it would be. There are still more sensors, modules, switches, actuators, etc. in these modern times than ever before. Without Can, they would either be dumber, or there would be more data wires just to communicate the status of the actuator, etc. and the wiring would be heavier yet.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

I'm taking the car off the road for the summer. Wife's taking her Monte Carlo SS out of storage and I might as well not fully insure 3 cars when only 1 gets driven daily (and a second, rarely). Her Sunfire is efficient and dependable, and has a sunroof and working A/C, so I'll drive that.

I'm thinking it might be time to do that engine swap. My 2002 GMC Sierra is rotting to dust; it can plow my driveway for another year or two, but it's so worthless that it's pretty easily replaced with a better one for not much money. Its GenIII LM7 is in good condition and is perfect for this car. It's got a lot of miles on it, but once the conversion is done it will be cheap and easy to replace any time I want; I can get them for $120 at the self-service junkyard. Cannibalizing the truck (instead of keeping it and buying an engine for the car) I will have most of what I need already in stock -- harness, PCM, sensors, etc. A cheap replacement truck with a failed transmission can get the good slushbox from the old truck, and possibly other parts too.

Does anyone here know anything about engine swaps? The most intimidating part of it for me right now is figuring out how to mount the engine.

IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

They used brackets to offset the mounts for the V8 C1500s in the vintage of mine...Had to pull them from the donor along with the engine. If the mounts don't line up out of the box there's the possibility of finding a vehicle that was offered with both the SBC and the 4.1 and burgling a bracket already intended for the purpose.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

I was thinking of something like that. My engine bay was offered with the SBC, and swapping a GenIII LSX where a SBC was should be ultra-common so there ought to be plenty of adapters. I might have to acquire a different crossmember or other stuff from a SBC B-body but it should all bolt in then.

I'm hoping that I'll just start measuring things and lining them up and find some confidence in my ability to make it work. Looking at commercial products it looks like the most common adapter is merely a flat plate with countersunk allen-head bolts, and I saw photos of at least one DIY hack job that would be easy for me if it fits and is as easy as it looks, just a plate with some holes and average bolts.

What I'd really like is to adapt the car to use OEM mounts from the GMC. Mounts for my car are getting tough to find and quality is terrible, but I can walk into any parts store and get those truck mounts any time in varying qualities.

bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

Damn, I am definitely in to see you finish this! Totally inspires me to finally purchase something and make it my own.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Yeah, I have faith and am inspired by the cow-man likewise.
When the cow-man says's he's gonna mount something, stand back out of his way!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

You managed the tranny swap easily enough. This should be no problem, Moofasa
Last edited by watkins on Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.