gizmobile

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: gizmobile

Post by theholycow »

gizmo wrote:now that i need to have brakes serviced, definitely wishing i had one of those cars where it's free for the life of the car. i wonder how much that amortizes the initial cost of the vechile (much like a hybrid).
Do it yourself. Disc brakes are pretty darn easy.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
cimbali
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: BMW 328i

Post by cimbali »

I am not very handy but have done brake pads/rotors in the past on older BMWs. Besides having the standard tools, I would ensure bolts are torqued to spec. But it really is an easy DIY. I never did build up the confidence to do a brake fluid flush...
BMW 328i e90
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Not personally a fan of the wheels. I dislike that style in general, so its nothing against those ones in particular.

25lbs a wheel is a bit hefty, but I have a set of winter 17" wheels that are somewhere around 28lbs each.
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

paul34 wrote:I thought you had an older tC. How old is your car?
Word. Same here. Looks good, but I also don't really like the wheels. But that's our opinion. It's your ride. Also, do the brakes yourself like the others said. It's pretty damn easy and a great thing to learn next to oil changes for maintenance.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
gizmo
Master Standardshifter
Cars: tC

Post by gizmo »

I don't have the tool to resurface the rotors. I'm not sure I want to buy them either, storage is a limited commodity here.

Granted, I know how to replace the rotors and the calipers, but the car's still under warranty and I don't want to give them any excuse to void it. That may be a bad decision, time will tell.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I don't know anybody who has a rotor lathe. Only machine shops, some parts stores, and large brake specialty shops have it. Nobody resurfaces their own rotors.

They can't legally void your warranty or even deny any warranty claims if you do your own brake repairs, with the possible exception of brake system failures, but I can agree with not giving them any excuse to even try.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I've done a number of disk (and drum) brake jobs and I've never needed to resurface the rotor. Bed the pads in and I'mn good to go.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

That's what I usually do. I've never encountered an issue with doing that. The rotors should be replaced every few changes though. Maybe like on the 2nd or 3rd one.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Depends on how you drive, what the conditions are and what not. More abrasive pads will require more frequent rotor replacements.

Speaking of that, I was gonna get Hawk HPS pads front and back next time I was gonna change them on the goat.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

Yeah. I want some Hawk pads too now that you mention it.