Another good reason to go Amish

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Another good reason to go Amish

Post by Rope-Pusher »

At camp this weekend it was around 0 Fahrenheit. Some find it hard to relax and take a dump in an outhouse at those temperatures. One of the adults, who didn't drive his own vehicle, borrowed another adults Jeep Liberty to go drive up to the camp administration building to use a flush toilet. Somehow (ya think he might have been in a hurry?) I got a call that he needed a wrecker. Seems he came down a hill and around a corner and skidded up onto a guardrail on top of the dam, ending with the two right-side wheels hanging over the ravine below. Steering knuckle arm for the tie-rod was broken off, the chin spoiler was stripped off and the right-front wheel-well liner and wheel opening trim were stripped off. Besides his hand being sore from when the wheel jerked hard (hooked thumb in wheel spoke?) it could have been a lot worse for the driver and the vehicle if it had gone down into the ravine - 20' drop down into the stream that drains from the lake. It took two wreckers to lift the Jeep off the guardrail w/o risking dumping it over the edge or slitting the gas tank on the guardrail.

50 internets to the first person who sez Y this is another good reason to go Amish. (it's not difficult, but it is so true)
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Re: Another good reason to go Amish

Post by LHOswald »

im assuming by the way your telling the story it wasnt your jeep liberty? i hope not

im gonna guess that this person asked you to drive your car, but they couldn't drive stick so they took the other persons? and they crashed? if so that is not only hilarious but definitely a plus of owning a manual. lessens the chance of people being able to drive your car...and do damage to it.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

LHOswald wrote:im assuming by the way your telling the story it wasnt your jeep liberty? i hope not

im gonna guess that this person asked you to drive your car, but they couldn't drive stick so they took the other persons? and they crashed? if so that is not only hilarious but definitely a plus of owning a manual. lessens the chance of people being able to drive your car...and do damage to it.
Close enough! Award this man his 150 Internets.

The borrowing driver didn't bother to ask to use my Jeep, because he rode with me before and already knew I was Amish.

Think of it - maybe 20% or less of North American drivers can impose upon you to let you lend them your vehicle. That should lower your insurance rates right there, right? (especially since Amish drivers are probably much better drivers, on average, than the "English")
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter

Post by LHOswald »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
LHOswald wrote:im assuming by the way your telling the story it wasnt your jeep liberty? i hope not

Close enough! Award this man his 150 Internets.

The borrowing driver didn't bother to ask to use my Jeep, because he rode with me before and already knew I was Amish.

Think of it - maybe 20% or less of North American drivers can impose upon you to let you lend them your vehicle. That should lower your insurance rates right there, right? (especially since Amish drivers are probably much better drivers, on average, than the "English")
sweet 8) ill bet that other dude was pissed as you were sputtering through your laughter "should've bought a manual!"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

No, I responded to the SOS and then drove back to go get the vehicle owner after I saw that it wasn't something that I could ficks with my tow strap.
Owner "So, how is it?"
Me "Grandpa went up on the roof"
Owner "What?"
Me "And the was snow on the roof and he slipped and fell off the roof"
Owner "???"
Me "And we tried to help him, but we need to call an ambulance"
Owner "???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????"
Me "And I'm thinkin' he's gonna need surgery before he gets better"
Owner "So, what does this all have to do with my Jeep?"
Me "You're not driving it home from camp"
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo V6

Post by ElectroGhandi »

Sooo if you're not Amish, you're automatically English? :shock:
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

ElectroGhandi wrote:Sooo if you're not Amish, you're automatically English? :shock:
you must not know much about the amish community...
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

I thought the English mainly drive Amish.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

"Amish people often refer to non-Amish as “English,” because they speak the English language."

You know, words like "Drive", "Park", "+", "-", "L", "D", "Autostick", "DCT", "CVT", all them cuss words what us gentlemen of true character avoid speaking.
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter

Post by LHOswald »

Rope-Pusher wrote:"Amish people often refer to non-Amish as “English,” because they speak the English language."

You know, words like "Drive", "Park", "+", "-", "L", "D", "Autostick", "DCT", "CVT", all them cuss words what us gentlemen of true character avoid speaking.
QFT
Progressive Shifter
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Progressive Shifter »

I kno, rite? :lol: My whole family is English and every time I utter Amish words to them, they always tell me: "It's too early to learn manuals," "You should just get a regular car like everybody else," or "Nobody drives manuals anymore." It's such a pain in the ass.
MANUALS ARE SO UNDERRATED!! xD