2007 Ford Ranger XL Reg. Cab V6 2WD - Slush

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo V6

Re: 2007 Ford Ranger XL Reg. Cab V6 2WD - Slush

Post by ElectroGhandi »

Rangers have electronic 4WD controls so I'm not sure how that's going to work. Probably just involves wiring. I plan to convert my Rodeo to 4WD when I put a new transmission in and the guys on PlanetIsuzoo said it wouldn't be too difficult for my truck but you probably should check with some Ford guys.
Chris H.

Post by Chris H. »

ElectroGhandi wrote:Rangers have electronic 4WD controls so I'm not sure how that's going to work. Probably just involves wiring. I plan to convert my Rodeo to 4WD when I put a new transmission in and the guys on PlanetIsuzoo said it wouldn't be too difficult for my truck but you probably should check with some Ford guys.

Good point. That totally escaped my mind. Well, I have no immediate plans for the truck just yet, but when they come around, I'll be scouting for a Ranger forum. And there will definitely be a post here of course.
4onthefloor
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 WRX, '07 Impreza

Post by 4onthefloor »

I have always liked the Rangers. Solid trucks.
Two pedals, two feet, too easy.

Car: 2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 32&t=13230
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Chris H. wrote:Hmmm…if I remember correctly, the 4.0L was found in several different Ford vehicles - probably each with different engine mounts.

4WD and a stick shift conversion should be an easy job - question is, manual first or 4WD conversion first?
At the same time, don't do a bunch of work twice. Also I understand it's common to bold the transmission on to the engine outside the vehicle and put the assembly in together, saving the bother of stabbing the transmission into the engine while laying on your back.
ElectroGhandi wrote:Rangers have electronic 4WD controls so I'm not sure how that's going to work. Probably just involves wiring. I plan to convert my Rodeo to 4WD when I put a new transmission in and the guys on PlanetIsuzoo said it wouldn't be too difficult for my truck but you probably should check with some Ford guys.
The Ranger FX4 Level II came with a manual case, it was probably available in other models too.

I love the electronic case in my GM but only because of the Auto4WD button. With only regular 2HI/4HI/Neutral/4LO I think I'd prefer a manual case.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Is it really worth converting a truck like this to manual when you could trade for one that's manual for almost no cost or surely less cost, time, and headache than it would take to convert it?
Chris H.

Post by Chris H. »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:Is it really worth converting a truck like this to manual when you could trade for one that's manual for almost no cost or surely less cost, time, and headache than it would take to convert it?
If I could ever find one in good condition. The 4-cyl model I found yesterday was in a dealer lot, hadn't been checked yet (it had just been traded in) and it had a bad misfiring problem. It definitely wasn't something my parents wanted to buy much less for me to drive.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Since your parents bought it, both options are probably going to be tough; they probably think both ideas are bad.

Chris H.

Post by Chris H. »

theholycow wrote:Since your parents bought it, both options are probably going to be tough; they probably think both ideas are bad.
Dad says if I want to do any sort of hack project on this truck, it'll be when I have a job, I'm moved out and the truck isn't under warranty. Mom, well, you get the idea.

And I like the interior of that FX4. Black with a silver trim bezel. Better than slab gray with a black bezel.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

He hasn't even pumped in the second tank of gas and you guys are bugging him to rip out the powertrain and pimp it up. How Wude!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Chris H.

Post by Chris H. »

Rope-Pusher wrote:He hasn't even pumped in the second tank of gas and you guys are bugging him to rip out the powertrain and pimp it up. How Wude!
That'll be happening in about half a tank. Dad's paying for it. :lol:

Drove all the way to my friend's house in the northern part of the city, then drove all the way to uptown Albuquerque so his iPod could be looked at and replaced at the Apple Store (a good 30 miles distance between the two). While I was at it, I took a few dirt roads, and now the back half and lower half of the truck is covered in caked sand. I had fun.

Two things I discovered today: 1) AC doesn't turn off ever, 2) HVAC fan works on only three speeds.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

A/C doesn't turn off or is the climate control just so good that it feels like A/C is on all the time?

My dad's old Ranger felt like the A/C was on when the knob was set to cool. A/C was freezing cold. Max A/C was absolutely ridiculous. I don't think he ever used it. Too cold.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Really good cool air that's not A/C can't be any colder than the air outside.

Don't forget A/C runs when the defroster is on. In some vehicles it runs when the recirculation button is on even if everything is off.

94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

No it was just oddly really cool air. I loved it though.
Chris H.

Post by Chris H. »

Well this truck has this dial setup: Image

Did not run the A/C at all today (mid 70s today and no clouds) and still felt a blast of cold air through: vent, vent-floor and floor. Didn't need to run the defroster today. :lol:

Kind of strange.

The lowest fan setting doesn't work, just 2, 3 and 4. When I test drove it, we drove it with the windows down. Today I drove with the windows partially cracked and the fan on 2.
Chris H.

Post by Chris H. »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:A/C doesn't turn off or is the climate control just so good that it feels like A/C is on all the time?

My dad's old Ranger felt like the A/C was on when the knob was set to cool. A/C was freezing cold. Max A/C was absolutely ridiculous. I don't think he ever used it. Too cold.

If you're telling me these trucks have a refrigerator-like A/C system, Phoenix is going to be enjoyable this summer.

But with temps in the mid 70s today, A/C off (and that means it drew in air from outside) the air being drawn in through the vents was cold, as if the knob were on A/C.