It's a party!

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: It's a party!

Post by Shadow »

Lighten up, fellas. It's just a message forum, not a college entrance essay...

Proper grammar is always a good thing, but I'm fine as long as the post is understandable. Kinda reminds me of this:

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

I wasn't making it serious, I was merely commenting on how my grammar nazi-ness has emerged. And I've seen that quote before, it is crazy what the brain can do.

Online, I'm relatively relaxed when it comes to grammar as long as people use the you're/your, to/too/two, its/it's correctly. The reason behind that is clarity. I'm not going to complain if someone misspells a word, as long as it's understandable: I've done it more than a few times. But easy grammar things that everyone should know AND that completely change the meaning of a sentence are important. It's not difficult to use it's/its correctly...

Also, there is a small amount of irony in you telling people to relax, Shadow :wink: :lol: :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

paul34 wrote:your crazy, grammar nazis dont know wut their doing,,
I. Will. End. You.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Squint and I are discussing grammar because it is a mutual interest. We're not telling anyone that they are a bad person because of their grammar. I've requested Squint's expertise to help me improve my grammar so that it will be more perfect. I know this site's topic is that of improving our shifting so that it is more perfect but I don't think grammar should be off-limits.

One common mistake I make is to misspell grammar as grammer. I don't know why I do that but I just caught myself doing it.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Possibly a problem caused by pronunciation? We all say it (at least all the "we's" that I've heard) as Gramm-eR with the emphasis on the second syllable. I contemplated the idea of saying Gram-mar but it just sounds goofy...

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Yeah, that's certainly part of the issue. It is pronounced exactly like hammer (along with various other words that are both pronounced and spelled like hammer) but it is spelled like no other word. The only other *mmar word I can find is dammar, which was not part of my vocabulary until just now.

Usually that's not a problem, though.

Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Having looked up dammar, I do not believe I'm going to add it to my vocabulary. There's knowing useful information, then there are words about resin from southern Asia. :lol: :lol:

And shadow, I completely forgot to test the "M" steering wheel button on my way to work. I'll try it on the way home and let you know how it goes.

For Pony!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Squint wrote: Also, there is a small amount of irony in you telling people to relax, Shadow :wink: :lol: :lol:
I'm probably one of the most relaxed people on the forum. Seriously.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Squint wrote:
And shadow, I completely forgot to test the "M" steering wheel button on my way to work. I'll try it on the way home and let you know how it goes.
Well, I guess it doesn't matter much now, considering that this has turned into a grammar thread.

So lets discuss Grammar Girl. She's a great web resource for those nagging little grammar rules that you might not remember. :)
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

It's true, I've used that website more than once. But, on the car front: the "M" button on the steering wheel changes through all the audio on the radio. FM1, FM2, AM1, AM2, Sirius, Line-In, USB-In, whatever else there is...

And I do believe you're one of the more laid back people here: you just seem to manage to pull out people's angry sides somehow. Granted, in your defense, the internet pulls out people's angry sides because if they are "anonymous" they can speak how they wish.

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I drove a little yellow Fiesta at work today. 5-speeds, no waiting. The clutch modulation was easy to get used to.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Squint wrote:It's true, I've used that website more than once. But, on the car front: the "M" button on the steering wheel changes through all the audio on the radio. FM1, FM2, AM1, AM2, Sirius, Line-In, USB-In, whatever else there is...

And I do believe you're one of the more laid back people here: you just seem to manage to pull out people's angry sides somehow. Granted, in your defense, the internet pulls out people's angry sides because if they are "anonymous" they can speak how they wish.
LOL....definitely got a chuckle from your post.

Grammar Girl-- yes, I was serious. I've used the site a few times when I was writing something that really mattered and I wasn't quite sure of the correct usage/rules.

M Button-- so it sounds like a mode button. I'm actually not happy with the way some manufacturers are putting a thousand small buttons on the steering wheel these days. Multifunction buttons seem to be a better approach. My Audi has dual scroll wheels (one on each side) that are also click-able. It's very cool and super intuitive to use.

Me-- yeah, I tell it the way I see it. I'm that way in real life too, but maybe a little less forthright than I am here. Still though, if I hear/read BS, I'm likely to call people out on it. I never get angry from reading message forums the way some people seem to react... The way I see it, there's nothing wrong with anyone being opinionated, but there should be a line drawn between opinion and fact in many conversations/debates. And speaking of debates, well, I love a good debate.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Shadow wrote:M Button-- so it sounds like a mode button. I'm actually not happy with the way some manufacturers are putting a thousand small buttons on the steering wheel these days. Multifunction buttons seem to be a better approach. My Audi has dual scroll wheels (one on each side) that are also click-able. It's very cool and super intuitive to use.
Yeah, I like most of the layout and controls on the Fiesta, but that button doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the useful controls. The only other complaint I have about it is minor: there are not volume control buttons on the steering wheel. There are channel changing controls that rotate through your set favorites, but no volume controls. If it was me, I would take out the "mode" button and put in volume controls...

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

My radio came with a remote that mounts to the steering wheel. It has mode, volume, mute, power, and I think a couple other functions. I don't use it as a remote, but mounted next to the steering wheel's spoke it makes a great finger-hole for spinning my steering wheel (for those who are unfamiliar, in my car's era extremely light steering was common, so even a pinky finger could spin the wheel effectively).

You can see it in this horribly lit photo: