My new Volkswagen

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Ford Mustang Coupe

My new Volkswagen

Post by ihartmacz »

I'm the proud new owner of a 1999 Volkswagen Passat with the 1.8L turbo motor.

More pictures to come, but here's one:

A couple of you have noticed that the car is an automatic from looking at my Facebook. I don't want to get into a big thing, but my sister will need to have hip surgery and she won't be able to drive a car with a manual transmission. The only other car we have in our family that's automatic is my mom's Jeep which is too high for her. I figured since I was looking for a new car, I would try to find an automatic so she can do the things that she wants and so she can feel somewhat independent. Plus, this car was well taken care of, and I have reason to believe the transmission could have been replaced once in it's life, although it wasn't mentioned by the previous owner. Hope you guys understand, I'm still going to be part of the community as much as I can. :)

Anyway... I still have the Mustang, but only until it sells. I love the gas mileage that this baby gets! :D :D :D :D :D

1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: My new Volkswagen

Post by potownrob »

nice ride! :D
you've done a respectable thing in this case by keeping your sister's needs in mind (not that i'd want to share my car with my sister...) 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

You're getting 47mpg? Can you elaborate on that? Hypermiling, driving slow, driving like a normal person? City/highway? That's pretty awesome for a decently large car, even with a small-displacement turbo engine, especially with a slushbox.

...or was that just a show-off thing after a short drive down a hill? :mrgreen:
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

theholycow wrote:You're getting 47mpg? Can you elaborate on that? Hypermiling, driving slow, driving like a normal person? City/highway? That's pretty awesome for a decently large car, even with a small-displacement turbo engine, especially with a slushbox.

...or was that just a show-off thing after a short drive down a hill? :mrgreen:
What he said! Or, my other guess... that it is an "instant mpg" that shows what you are getting currently. My wife's sister/husband have mazda 3 that does that so they fly between 5mpg and 60mpg depending on whether throttle is being used...
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Congrats Graham! That's a very respectful thing to do for your sister, kudos to you for that. And yea, I don't buy your mileage readout for 1 second :lol: My girlfriend's car will show 99.9 MPG off throttle on the instant readout. I've been able to do 65-70 mpg constantly on a downhill.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I think it's a good car but not my cup of tea. To me it's terribly bland.

Good luck to your sis and speedy recovery after.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ihartmacz »

Yup, it's instantaneous. I was actually using light throttle while climbing a hill on a major street here in town. The average for the car is a respectable 25MPG so far. We'll see what's up when I fill it up for the first time.

Thank you all for the well wishes for my sister! :)

For an automatic, it shifts well. Although, for these cars, they seem like they have a hard time choosing whether 3rd or 4th gear is best (I've driven a 2.0L Turbo Audi 4A that does it too, although it is a 6-speed auto).

Just waxed and detailed it today.

Inside:

Yeah, I see where you do think this car is boring. It is quite on the bland side with it's light steering, automatic transmission, and supple ride. It is a family car, after all! I do like its level handling and European ride. Build quality is extremely good, save for a couple of the usual broken VW interior trim pieces. Remember, you're reading a post from a guy that would be tickled pink to drive a brand new Toyota Camry with a V6 (~270hp).
Last edited by ihartmacz on Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

unholy noise batman!! :o :lol:
is that a cellphone camera??

edit: try shrinking the pics
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

If you request a gear choice with the +/- or 4/3/2 on the shifter, will it obey? That could help with that indecisiveness.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ihartmacz »

You mean trying a different range? Thing is, that might do something, since most transmissions (at least the ones that I'm familiar with) have a separate shift schedule for each range. Though I said it can be fickle, it's not intrusive or noticeable by anyone who isn't watching or paying attention. Most notably, it's only apparent at very light or less than normal throttle. Under most traffic circumstances, it shifts amicably though all gears. If WOT is achieved, there is no point to shifting yourself; it shifts all gears at 6,500 RPM. The torque converter seems to lock quite a lot.

This engine is great, it's all mid range torque... When mashing the pedal at a stop light, the car is just a little sluggish to take off until about 2,000RPM, then the acceleration is brisk - anything above 4,000RPM provides very good acceleration. Highway passing is anything anyone could hope for from this kind of car.

Edit: Here's a video for you guys! :) Warning: NSFW language in the music!

1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"