Cosmin's 1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Cosmin's 1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:I always read that for what it is - pee are en dee el.
x2
at work, we always called 'em Prin-dulls.

Unlike Lisa Douglas:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbslq_prndl_fun
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:After a good half day spent detailing:

Forgot to say earlier that the car looks 1000x better. The paint looks glossy on all the panels now. That's a good job with a discounted Megs kit. I really like a lot of their products. Was the compound included in the kit their "Ultimate Compound"?
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Shadow wrote:
94Corolla5Speed wrote:After a good half day spent detailing:

Forgot to say earlier that the car looks 1000x better. The paint looks glossy on all the panels now. That's a good job with a discounted Megs kit. I really like a lot of their products. Was the compound included in the kit their "Ultimate Compound"?
Thanks! Also, thanks Noob!

Yes, it was the ultimate compound. It works pretty well, but I wish I had a buffer. I am new to this detailing thing and I spent a good hour or so sucking at buffing it with the compound. Would leave behind really nasty buff marks before I got the technique down.

For posterity, here is a picture of it before detailing. Taken with a much better camera (Nikon DSLR I believe), but it shows the bad paint and uneven-ness:
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

I picked up a decent rotary buffer at Pep Boys for around $65. Admittedly it's cheap chinese shite and the plastic handle has already broken, but it does the job well enough. It's also variable speed. The brand name escapes me for the moment, I think it's TradesPro or something.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Yeah, that's a major improvement. I remember seeing pics of the car where the faded paint was noticeable, but it all looks nice and even now. That's a ton of work to do by hand. I actually picked up this exact machine from Meguiars:

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-dual-a ... -g110.html

I know that Porter Cable machines are very popular, but the Meguiars machine was a little cheaper and got a lot of positive reviews. I've only used it a couple of times, but it's a real time saver.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

Shadow wrote:Yeah, that's a major improvement. I remember seeing pics of the car where the faded paint was noticeable, but it all looks nice and even now. That's a ton of work to do by hand. I actually picked up this exact machine from Meguiars:

I know that Porter Cable machines are very popular, but the Meguiars machine was a little cheaper and got a lot of positive reviews. I've only used it a couple of times, but it's a real time saver.
Looks terrific. Wish I could spend the money on that, but after having spent $17 on product, I'm not quite ready to plop down 1000% more for something that I can do (albeit shittier) with my hands :lol:
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:
Shadow wrote:Yeah, that's a major improvement. I remember seeing pics of the car where the faded paint was noticeable, but it all looks nice and even now. That's a ton of work to do by hand. I actually picked up this exact machine from Meguiars:

Looks terrific. Wish I could spend the money on that, but after having spent $17 on product, I'm not quite ready to plop down 1000% more for something that I can do (albeit shittier) with my hands :lol:
There's a reason powered women's sex toys exist. Sometimes hands just don't cut it.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

Yesterday I installed an R-package (94-97 Miata with a few extra racing bits) front lip replica. Took a bit of fiddling since it was a 23 year old bumper but I got it to fit pretty well.

watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Oh yeah?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

watkins wrote:Oh yeah?
Yeah, big whoop, wanna fight about it?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Ya wanna fite me buddy?

Whale then, you stay here and I'll go get me buddy.

Actually, he's not me buddy, but he is from my city - he was the cross-town rival High school wrestling and football coach before a lucrative career in professional wrestling lured him away from the school district.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

watkins wrote:Oh yeah?
Yea!
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

Yay! My friend finally finished the exhaust video!

http://vimeo.com/52904901 Watch in HD with good headphones for better sound quality

Here's his website: http://www.wotfilms.com/
Last edited by 94Corolla5Speed on Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

The exhaust sounds good. Surprisingly, the stock exhaust also had a nice sound to it.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

Shadow wrote:The exhaust sounds good. Surprisingly, the stock exhaust also had a nice sound to it.
Thanks. I agree, the stock exhaust actually blew me away when I heard it from the outside. But it was just so damn quiet from inside I really wanted something louder. The Cobalt is much more pleasing from the inside and sounds phenomenal from the outside. I drove a buddy's Miata while he drove mine (I was behind him with the top down) and it sounds like an old British sports car/roadster. No nasty ricer buzz or 10,000 angry bees in a can.