Potownrob's 02 Impreza 2.5TS

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Re: Potownrob's 02 Impreza 2.5TS

Post by bk7794 »

theholycow wrote:Negative. If you hit the expansion joint hard enough to bend your wheel with extra inflation, then with less inflation you'd destroy your wheel AND your tire.
Interesting, so the extra air pressure is better in those cases?
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

bk7794 wrote:
theholycow wrote:Negative. If you hit the expansion joint hard enough to bend your wheel with extra inflation, then with less inflation you'd destroy your wheel AND your tire.

Think of it this way--if you're running lower air pressure, it is easier for the tire to compress and have the rim of the wheel hit the expansion joint (or a pothole) and bend. Since my car has 19" wheels and low profile 35-series tires, I run a couple of PSI above the recommended pressure as an added measure of safety against bending my wheels on a pothole. The trade-off is a slightly stiffer ride, but it's worth it to me.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

bk7794 wrote:Interesting, so the extra air pressure is better in those cases?
In those and many more cases.

People in general have a distrust or fear of increased tire pressure, but the reality is that it brings far more advantages to the table than disadvantages, and (except in extreme cases) brings absolutely zero danger. A tubeless radial automotive tire has little in common with the tubed bias ply bicycle tires you exploded as a child. My satisfaction with tires has been far better ever since I started with increased pressure.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

theholycow wrote:
bk7794 wrote:Interesting, so the extra air pressure is better in those cases?
In those and many more cases.

People in general have a distrust or fear of increased tire pressure, but the reality is that it brings far more advantages to the table than disadvantages, and (except in extreme cases) brings absolutely zero danger. A tubeless radial automotive tire has little in common with the tubed bias ply bicycle tires you exploded as a child. My satisfaction with tires has been far better ever since I started with increased pressure.
How did you know I exploded a tube tire when I was a kid? :lol:

Can't you cause balding though on the middle of the tread pattern?
Shadow wrote:
bk7794 wrote:

Think of it this way--if you're running lower air pressure, it is easier for the tire to compress and have the rim of the wheel hit the expansion joint (or a pothole) and bend. Since my car has 19" wheels and low profile 35-series tires, I run a couple of PSI above the recommended pressure as an added measure of safety against bending my wheels on a pothole. The trade-off is a slightly stiffer ride, but it's worth it to me.
Being at my recommended air pressure probably saved my wheels then when I hit that bump compared to how the tires were when I first got the car..I think I might keep them at this psi..
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

bk7794 wrote:Can't you cause balding though on the middle of the tread pattern?
Yes, but it's neither as prevalent nor as meaningful as popularly assumed. In the meantime, people commonly accept edge wear without a worry, but the edges are where you need tread the most.

Generally, right up to the tire's rated maximum, the amount of extra center wear will be nearly undetectable. When the edges reach the wear bars the center will not yet be bald. In my experience, the total miles you get will be more; so if you ran the recommended pressure and got 30,000 miles before any part of the tire is down to 2/32", at full inflation you might get 35,000 miles before the center is down to 2/32" (and the rest of the tire still has slightly more tread).

Even if you ended up with a bald center that would be ok. It still provides the necessary footprint and contact required to successfully channel water into what remains of the tread voids...and by that time you're not expecting great anti-hydroplaning performance from your worn tire even if it had as much tread in the center as elsewhere anyway.

I've been doing this for at least half a million miles in various vehicles (including compact cars, my full size pickup, and a dumptruck), and have never regretted it.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD