My 1991 honda civic

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Re: My 1991 honda civic

Postby bk7794 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:14 pm

So..update as of 6/2015. Car got rear-ended. Bumper was pushed up which basically ripped the support points that sit right behind the rear wheels out. Bumper basically pivoted. Had a relative driving it at the time but the car is pretty bad. Luckily the driver was ok. That was one thing that spooked me about this car, the low seats.
2000 Honda Civic EX 5 Speed
Volvo S60R 6 Speed

potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '16 Golf TSI SE

Postby potownrob » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:53 am

bk7794 wrote:So..update as of 6/2015. Car got rear-ended. Bumper was pushed up which basically ripped the support points that sit right behind the rear wheels out. Bumper basically pivoted. Had a relative driving it at the time but the car is pretty bad. Luckily the driver was ok. That was one thing that spooked me about this car, the low seats.
sorry to hear that, but glad you now have a good excuse to get another car. got good credit?? can you afford $200 a month?? maybe leasing is in your future!! :D :twisted: 8)

//car commercial car salesman
BUT DEM FAHGLEITZ!! :shock:

For Pizza!!!!

Squint
Master Standardshifter

Postby Squint » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:59 am

potownrob wrote:
bk7794 wrote:So..update as of 6/2015. Car got rear-ended. Bumper was pushed up which basically ripped the support points that sit right behind the rear wheels out. Bumper basically pivoted. Had a relative driving it at the time but the car is pretty bad. Luckily the driver was ok. That was one thing that spooked me about this car, the low seats.
sorry to hear that, but glad you now have a good excuse to get another car. got good credit?? can you afford $200 a month?? maybe leasing is in your future!! :D :twisted: 8)

:lol: :lol:

Glad everyone is alright, BK. And I wouldn't be worried about seating height relative to other cars unless you're getting run over by something that just blows through the entire vehicle (semi truck/trailer or something). Outside of the equivalent roll-cage-area (what's this area actually calle? Interior? Occupancy zone?), the car is meant to collapse in accidents to absorb energy. I'd be more worried if your bumper didn't get pushed in like it is designed.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!

bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Postby bk7794 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:40 pm

potownrob wrote:

I still have my 2000...which may be getting sold if I ever can decide on something I want.

Squint wrote:
Glad everyone is alright, BK. And I wouldn't be worried about seating height relative to other cars unless you're getting run over by something that just blows through the entire vehicle (semi truck/trailer or something). Outside of the equivalent roll-cage-area (what's this area actually calle? Interior? Occupancy zone?), the car is meant to collapse in accidents to absorb energy. I'd be more worried if your bumper didn't get pushed in like it is designed.

Physical seat height is what I was talking about.
2000 Honda Civic EX 5 Speed
Volvo S60R 6 Speed

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Postby Rope-Pusher » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:46 pm

bk7794 wrote:Image
Physical seat height is what I was talking about.

Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Postby potownrob » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:39 am

bk7794 wrote:
potownrob wrote:

I still have my 2000...which may be getting sold if I ever can decide on something I want.
reedang comprehenshun fale - thought the 2000 got rear-ended. no longer upset. also glad you may get new car. :twisted:

For Pizza!!!!

theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Postby theholycow » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:57 pm

bk7794 wrote:Physical seat height is what I was talking about.

It's generally pretty easy to raise seats by making a bracket or just using longer bolts and a spacer made of your choice of materials.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD

AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '16 Ecoboost F150

Postby AHTOXA » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:23 pm

theholycow wrote:
bk7794 wrote:Physical seat height is what I was talking about.

It's generally pretty easy to raise seats by making a bracket or just using longer bolts and a spacer made of your choice of materials.

Yeah, but consider potential leverage increase on the mounting areas in case of an accident. Just something to think about.
'16 Ecoboost F150
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
'17 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5+
'08 Giant Trance 1 (old school 26'er)

theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Postby theholycow » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:31 am

AHTOXA wrote:Yeah, but consider potential leverage increase on the mounting areas in case of an accident. Just something to think about.

Good point.

Surely seat attachment is engineered for a wide range of body shapes and weights. After all, tall Russians with weird usernames have a higher center of gravity than average, and then there are fat people, and tall fat people. There must be plenty of margin to work with unless you are the tallest fattest person who can fit in the car.

Further, for most vehicles the only crash where it would be an issue would be a rear-end collision. For all others, the seatbelt does most of the work, perhaps assisted by airbags. In a simple rear-end collision where your shimmed seat attachment fails, the failure may absorb more of the energy and then you land against the soft back seat, resulting in more flopping around but less hard impact. Of course, in a more complex collision that starts with a rear end (tractor trailer driven by crackhead rear ends you at 80mph) you'd then be unrestrained and at more risk, but you're probably dead either way from that crash.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD

potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Postby potownrob » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:45 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

For Pizza!!!!

potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Postby potownrob » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:00 am

This is all I can think of after the last few posts:
http://youtu.be/b0JlqtntMt0

For Pizza!!!!

watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1999 Saab Viggen

Postby watkins » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:30 pm

All I can take away from this is that some tall freakish Russians are in a turf battle for coke distribution with a roving gang of supersonic truckers.

Return to “Members' Cars”