First New Car

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
SonicHKS
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2012 Chevy Sonic Turbo

First New Car

Post by SonicHKS »

1.4L turbocharged ecotec, 6-speed manual. Best handling FWD car I've ever driven, and I'm getting 39 mpg city in it :P . Set me back $16,7 and I got it with 0 miles on it :mrgreen:
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Re: First New Car

Post by noob5,000,000 »

Nice! I must admit, I am intrigued by the Sonic (especially the turbocharged manual one :o ). Is it pretty quick?
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

noob5,000,000 wrote:Nice! I must admit, I am intrigued by the Sonic (especially the turbocharged manual one :o ). Is it pretty quick?
This.

And yeah, I'm not a Chevy fan, but I was excited when they said they were coming out with that vehicle. I'm all in favor of small hatchbacks with turbos and peppy engines.

Welcome to the forum!
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Welcome to tthe forum. I was curious to see the performance specs for this car. Turns out the 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times are nearly identical to my 2.0 soul.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

Sweet car, I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say about it as time goes on.

Also maybe you should consider re-sizing your pictures. A bit too big.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
Saabstory02
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 VW .:R32

Post by Saabstory02 »

Nice car OP; great purchase for your first new :wink:

I took a look at these as well while car shopping; they were pretty decent on driveability and impressed me with the overall feel.
2012 Golf TDI - 6M, 4 Dr
| Chrome GTI Switches | Stainless Sport pedals | Golf R Steering Wheel, Shift Knob/boot & E-Brake | Moda MD6 wheels |
SonicHKS
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2012 Chevy Sonic Turbo

Post by SonicHKS »

Saabstory02 wrote:Nice car OP; great purchase for your first new :wink:

I took a look at these as well while car shopping; they were pretty decent on driveability and impressed me with the overall feel.

Yeah I didn't actually mean to buy a new car, I'd just gone out to check out the new Hyundai Veloster after my friend told me they were good cars. The Veloster drove like an appliance though and there was a Chevrolet dealer right next door. I drove a Sonic N/A 5-speed and fell in love with the handling, braking, and clutch+shifter. Was the best new car I've ever driven and I knew I had to get one.

I wasn't going to settle for a N/A 5-speed though (or....slush!? :oops: ), especially with the turbo model getting better mpg and only coming in 6-speed manual. I waited and looked, found one near me and got it shipped here free of charge :mrgreen:. I originally wanted a sunroof, lighter grey interior, and white exterior but in order to get it right away I had to take what I could get.

It drives like a turbo diesel. Small turbo, on a small engine. IIRC 138 hp and 150 lb ft, with it achieving and maintaining peak torque from 1800-5000RPM. It'll cruise around town at 1500-2000RPM just fine and then when you want power the turbo spools quick and pulls hard to 5500-6000RPM. Also, on the highway it'll do 70 @ 1800RPM in 6th all day long. Its very easy to get 35-40 mpg city in it, and something like 40-50 highway.

As for handling, the suspension was tuned by Corvette engineers. I fell in love with the handling because it tends to dive into corners (it has a LOT of turn-in) and it'll hold driving line very well. The ride is also very smooth especially over rough pavement and not much upsets it. The interior is also very well put together, nothing rattles/clunks and you can barely hear wind noise from outside. Braking is decently strong but not very progressive and the car uses rear drum brakes, which I don't mind.

This is my first new car because up until now, no one built a car that I wanted to buy. There was always something that turned me away. Not with the Sonic, though. Its exactly how I would design and build a small hatchback, and it feels very European. Its solid and not built like an aluminum can, has a very small efficient turbocharged engine that gets 40 mpg, and basically a 5-speed manual with an extra overdrive for hypermiling. 6th gear in this car is LONG, 3.65 FD with a 0.61 6th. And did I say that I recently moved and everything I moved in it fit perfectly? Its an awesome car and I knew I couldn't turn down buying one :mrgreen: .