Sold the soul to the devil - new pics pg 3

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Sold the soul to the devil

Post by AHTOXA »

Squint wrote:Good buy. How did you manage to come out with only $82 out of pocket with only a couple hundred difference in price? The biggest thing that popped into mind was taxes, tag fees, doc fees, etc. As a consumer, well done :!: As someone who has sold cars (and still does occasionally for friends/family), I would be rather annoyed with you. :lol: :lol:
watkins wrote:Good lord that thing is uglier than the rectum of an elderly elephant with diarrhea.
I don't think it's as bad as the old Aveo's.
Thing is, I was truly not planning on buying the car that day. I did my research on the sonic prior, of course but I expected to lose money on the soul and was there to drive the sonic and see how my opinion compared to the reviews I read. By not willing to buy and take a big loss and them really needing to sell a car I was able to passively negotiate what I wanted nearly making the purchase wash when new insurance cost is factored in.

So I was at the right place at the right time and happened to love the car they wanted to move.

Edit. Got a call from then earlier stating that my payoff on the Kia turned out to be lower than the number they obtained from my lendor yesterday, for whatever reason. Going in after work to redo paperwork and since my payoff ended up being lower than they worked with at the time, it's only to my advantage.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

AHTOXA wrote:Thing is, I was truly not planning on buying the car that day. I did my research on the sonic prior, of course but I expected to lose money on the soul and was there to drive the sonic and see how my opinion compared to the reviews I read. By not willing to buy and take a big loss and them really needing to sell a car I was able to passively negotiate what I wanted nearly making the purchase wash when new insurance cost is factored in.
The first part of this is what dealerships love to hear. If you purchased a vehicle and you didn't intend to that day (but did at some point), then they did their job correctly, whether by luck or skill.
AHTOXA wrote:Edit. Got a call from then earlier stating that my payoff on the Kia turned out to be lower than the number they obtained from my lendor yesterday, for whatever reason. Going in after work to redo paperwork and since my payoff ended up being lower than they worked with at the time, it's only to my advantage.
My cynical side says they were lazy and didn't get the real payoff number yesterday. Not that it hurts you at all, but still. Almost every semi-major bank has a recording to get payoffs if they are closed.

Could just be my cynical side :lol: :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Not quite. I didn't plan to purchase due to not willing to take losses. Since the loss was minimal, I fully intended purchase. I know what you're saying because its the job the salesman. In this case, the financial numbers truly.sold the car as I've already been mentally sold on it.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Post by DKaz »

GG how many cars have you owned so far? lol.

Great choice for sure, I like those Sonics with the 1.4 turbo and 6 speed manual. Neat dash and very room front and back. I hope you have brake pads on all four wheels however.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

DKaz wrote: I hope you have brake pads on all four wheels however.
Yeah, I think they fixed that problem :lol:
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

despite you going through cars and trucks like cases of beer, i support your vehicle changes. look forward to real pics.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
camera_man
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: '97 Jeep, '12 Cruze

Post by camera_man »

What are your initial thoughts on the consolidated instrument panel? That's one thing I could never get past when driving the Sonic... Also glad you didn't get the 1.8L
2012 Chevy Cruze
1.4L Turbo, 6 speed

1997 Jeep Cherokee
4.0L, 5 speed
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

camera_man wrote:What are your initial thoughts on the consolidated instrument panel? That's one thing I could never get past when driving the Sonic... Also glad you didn't get the 1.8L
I like it and doesn't bother me much. Lack of certain gauges bothers me in general but I will remedy that with a scangauge.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

What was the claimed highway mpg for the soul?
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

bk7794 wrote:What was the claimed highway mpg for the soul?
According to Edmunds, 35 mpg with the manual.
http://www.edmunds.com/kia/soul/2012/

For Pony!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

Squint wrote:
bk7794 wrote:What was the claimed highway mpg for the soul?
According to Edmunds, 35 mpg with the manual.
http://www.edmunds.com/kia/soul/2012/
Ah, I thought it was one of those 40mpg cars. I heard that a lot of those special models that say they get 40mpg barely or don't even hit 40mpg. Thats what consumer reports said, not to bother wasting the money on them.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

bk7794 wrote:Ah, I thought it was one of those 40mpg cars. I heard that a lot of those special models that say they get 40mpg barely or don't even hit 40mpg. Thats what consumer reports said, not to bother wasting the money on them.
Fiesta is like that. "40 mpg highway!" When in reality, all but the special editions that come with different tires, different grill, and a couple of other changes only get 38 mpg or something. Car commercials almost all annoy me when they just claim their highway mileage and sometimes don't even say it, just display the word highway.

That being said, my best tank in it was 39.5 mpg. I got really really close. Regularly when I was doing mostly highway in WV, I was getting 37 or so. I bet with a flat road I probably could have touched 40 now and again.

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Squint wrote:That being said, my best tank in it was 39.5 mpg. I got really really close. Regularly when I was doing mostly highway in WV, I was getting 37 or so. I bet with a flat road I probably could have touched 40 now and again.
Give me a few weeks with it, I'll hit 50 in mixed driving. 8)
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

Squint wrote:
bk7794 wrote:Ah, I thought it was one of those 40mpg cars. I heard that a lot of those special models that say they get 40mpg barely or don't even hit 40mpg. Thats what consumer reports said, not to bother wasting the money on them.
Fiesta is like that. "40 mpg highway!" When in reality, all but the special editions that come with different tires, different grill, and a couple of other changes only get 38 mpg or something. Car commercials almost all annoy me when they just claim their highway mileage and sometimes don't even say it, just display the word highway.

That being said, my best tank in it was 39.5 mpg. I got really really close. Regularly when I was doing mostly highway in WV, I was getting 37 or so. I bet with a flat road I probably could have touched 40 now and again.
it's funny on the fuel website for the government it says I get like 34...I get like 37 continuously and on the highway I can achieve well over 40 sometimes.

I think they are estimates but people take them really seriously...including the lady that sued honda. She didn't want to take the money from the class action lawsuit so she just sued anyways..
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

I've hit 42 with no sweat in my Sonic on a highway trip. Speeds of 55-65 (mostly 60), 90* weather, all windows down. In mostly city driving I get 35i-sh now where my Soul would see 30-31 and this is counting spirited bursts here and there as the mood strikes me. Never saw more than 33 highway with the Soul.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650