WHAT!?!? Two wheels... get outta here!

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
camera_man
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: '97 Jeep, '12 Cruze

WHAT!?!? Two wheels... get outta here!

Post by camera_man »

Not a car, but it's my newest form of motorized transportation (and still a manual!)....

It's a 1982 Honda CX500. It's got a 500 cc v-twin, 5 speed gearbox, shaft drive, and a little over 30k on the clock. Don't worry, the fairing has already been removed.

Riding a motorcycle was never really something I would have thought I'd get so excited about. After graduating from school a little over a year ago, I had always planned on getting my endorsement, and then finding a bike whenever the mood struck. I ended up taking a basic rider course through the local MSF chapter with a buddy of mine, and even though we only got to 20 or 25 in the parking lot, I was hooked! I had an absolute blast - way more entertaining than I thought it would be. I've always been of the, "4 wheels are the only way I'll go" camp, but not so much.

So anyways, after taking the course, I REALLY wanted a bike, like RIGHT NOW! I starting hitting CL hard, and came across this one after about a week of looking. The max I really wanted to spend was around $1k. I knew this would get me a bike in the 1980s, and I knew for that price I could find something decent. As I was discovering, most bikes for this price had a catch (they needed some sort of major work; clutch, brakes, electrical). It seemed like everyone had that ONE thing that would really need work before it could be ridden reliably. Those that didn't, were sold before I could even take a look at them. I didn't want a fixer-upper, I wanted something I could go out and learn to ride on, build up skills, and build up confidence.

So, when I found this one, I knew I couldn't wait, or it would be gone. I ended up looking at it twice. Once to give it a once-over, see what it was all about, size up the seller, and get the low-down on the general condition, and the second time to take it for a ride. Mechanically, it was great! Started right up, and ran without a hiccup. I took that night to research as much as I could about reliability history, reviews, and what to look out for with these bikes (which there isn't much to be honest). The next day I had a buddy drive me to the test ride, and I said that if it rode well, I would by it (had cash in hand). Well, it did, so I jumped on the deal. Even talked the guy down a bit from his asking price.

As I stated, it runs great. It has plenty of power for someone just starting off riding. It is a bit top-heavy, but I've started to get used to it, and it's really not that bad. It's pretty comfortable for riding an hour or two at a time (that's the longest I've gone so far). It's not the prettiest bike out there, but it's not bad by any means. It should make a great winter project to tear down, clean up, and tinker around with in general. The biggest thing I've learned so far - I have NO IDEA HOW TO WORK ON CARBURETORS!!! They are completely foreign to me, and it makes me upset.

I've got the obligatory safety gear to go along with it. I bought a nice helmet and jacket, and am using my shop boots and gloves for the time being. I still don't understand folks who ride around without any protective gear, especially a helmet. I've been hit with so many bugs, that alone would make me want a helmet (aside from the obvious head protection). Whatever... to each their own I guess.

Current plan is to ride this bike for a year or two to get a good foundation skill set. Then I'll look at getting something a little bit... more. Maybe a sport bike of some sort, because I've never really like the cruiser/chopper look. We'll see....

Long story short, I'm beginning to understand this whole motorcycle thing. So far, it's been an absolute blast, and I'm looking forward to many miles ahead.
2012 Chevy Cruze
1.4L Turbo, 6 speed

1997 Jeep Cherokee
4.0L, 5 speed
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: WHAT!?!? Two wheels... get outta here!

Post by Shadow »

Nice...be safe though. I've ridden lots of motorcycles in the past, but I've never owned one. Why? Well, every time I seriously consider buying one, someone close to me either gets killed or seriously injured on one. It may seem silly, but that's really what keeps me from owning a motorcycle myself. There are just far too many idiotic drivers on the roads to worry about. I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, I'm just saying to ride safely and defensively.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Don't see too many longitudinally-mounted V-twins...

Motorcycling is indeed an activity that is extremely intolerant of mistakes and inattention. Predicting hazards, including what others will do, is essential to keep you out of trouble. I strongly recommend David L. Hough's Proficient Motorcycling as a must read, first read. It points out a vast number of hazards that you wouldn't necessarily think about coming from a car. Edge traps are a huge point, as is the fact that pavement markings can be slick. Not sure I could even count the number of times that book has kept me out of trouble.

Keep the rubber side down.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Shadow wrote:Nice...be safe though. I've ridden lots of motorcycles in the past, but I've never owned one. Why? Well, every time I seriously consider buying one, someone close to me either gets killed or seriously injured on one. It may seem silly, but that's really what keeps me from owning a motorcycle myself. There are just far too many idiotic drivers on the roads to worry about. I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, I'm just saying to ride safely and defensively.
This, minus riding lots of them in the past. But seems like a good buy... be safe.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

camera_man wrote:The biggest thing I've learned so far - I have NO IDEA HOW TO WORK ON CARBURETORS!!! They are completely foreign to me, and it makes me upset.

Cobbaraytas can go straight back to hell from whence they came.

So, is it gratuitously loud or reasonable?

Shaft drive seems pretty cool.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
camera_man
Senior Standardshifter

Post by camera_man »

IMBoring25 wrote:Don't see too many longitudinally-mounted V-twins...

Motorcycling is indeed an activity that is extremely intolerant of mistakes and inattention. Predicting hazards, including what others will do, is essential to keep you out of trouble. I strongly recommend David L. Hough's Proficient Motorcycling as a must read, first read. It points out a vast number of hazards that you wouldn't necessarily think about coming from a car. Edge traps are a huge point, as is the fact that pavement markings can be slick. Not sure I could even count the number of times that book has kept me out of trouble.

Thanks, I will definitely check that book out!

I'm very conscious of the inherent risk of riding a motorcycle. I'm a very defensive driver in general, and that will make it much easier for me to carry those habits and skills from four wheels to two. I appreciate all the words of caution and advice nonetheless!

@theholycow:

It is definitely on the more reasonable side, which I like. You can hear it's there, but your ears don't bleed once I ride away.
2012 Chevy Cruze
1.4L Turbo, 6 speed

1997 Jeep Cherokee
4.0L, 5 speed
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Very nice, man. That was my eventual plan as I've been talking about getting my endorsement and signing up for classes. Of course, I've been working 60 hour weeks lately so time has been minimal for that.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

camera_man wrote: Image

It's a 1982 Honda CX500.
that is one nice clean looking bike!! always loved seeing those older hondas.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

You chose well with the CX!

To echo everyone else... Enjoy it thoroughly. Always respect the machine and what you are doing (hurtling through space unhindered, relatively unprotected and nearly invisible to almost everyone on the road).

And always ride within your limits! :)

Congratulations!
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
camera_man
Senior Standardshifter

Post by camera_man »

IMBoring25 wrote:Don't see too many longitudinally-mounted V-twins...

Picked the book up last week, and have almost finished reading it. Tons of great advice in there, thanks for the suggestion!
2012 Chevy Cruze
1.4L Turbo, 6 speed

1997 Jeep Cherokee
4.0L, 5 speed
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Post by DKaz »

Very cool. I've been thinking of going for my motorcycle license too. I ride my dad's scooter on occasion, single lanes in each direction is not a problem, it's the multilane ones where I fear being struck from the side by someone changing lanes without looking. I've witnessed a few near misses in this situation.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage