My 2012 MINI Coupe S

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
Gerard
Junior Standardshifter

My 2012 MINI Coupe S

Post by Gerard »

Figure I'd post this here....and I thank everyone for the warm welcome to this forum, I replied to everyone but
I guess the moderator didn't approve all the responses :?

It was hard keeping it stock lol, hopefully I won't need warranty work!!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: My 2012 MINI Coupe S

Post by AHTOXA »

Cool car. I like it.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

VROOM HISS VROOOM!!!!!
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Mcs1990
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: Mini Cooper S '05

Post by Mcs1990 »

They are fun cars. I have an 05 R53 Cooper S. Probably the car with the best overall driving dynamics I have driven.
05' Mini Cooper S
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

potownrob wrote:VROOM HISS VROOOM!!!!!
I thought the excess was recirculated rather than blown off into atmosphere. If recirculated, you won't hear the whoosh.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Post by DKaz »

Sweet ride. I see a ScanGauge. :)
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

AHTOXA wrote:
potownrob wrote:VROOM HISS VROOOM!!!!!
I thought the excess was recirculated rather than blown off into atmosphere. If recirculated, you won't hear the whoosh.
Yes you can.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

You can hear the whoosh but it's not the blow off like when it's vented to the atmosphere.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

AHTOXA wrote:If recirculated, you won't hear the whoosh.
AHTOXA wrote:You can hear the whoosh
MAKE UP YOUR MIND!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

AHTOXA wrote:You can hear the whoosh but it's not the blow off like when it's vented to the atmosphere.
I think what you're talking about is blow-off valves compared to diverter valves. They serve the same function and are basically the same thing, but a lot of turbo guys like to install aftermarket blow-off valves that are vented to the atmosphere and make that loud whooshing sound. Most (if not all) modern turbo cars do not have blow-off valves or diverter valves that are vented to the atmosphere, so it's not as easy to hear them. The one on my car is extremely quiet. I don't think I've ever been able to hear it at all. I can hear the turbo spooling though, but even that is very difficult to hear.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

watkins wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:If recirculated, you won't hear the whoosh.
AHTOXA wrote:You can hear the whoosh
MAKE UP YOUR MIND!
Yeah, my post was contradictory that only made sense in my mind. After 70 hour weeks at work, please disregard.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Shadow wrote:Most (if not all) modern turbo cars do not have blow-off valves or diverter valves that are vented to the atmosphere, so it's not as easy to hear them. The one on my car is extremely quiet. I don't think I've ever been able to hear it at all. I can hear the turbo spooling though, but even that is very difficult to hear.
You can easily change that. Switch to an aftermarket short-ram intake and an aftermarket bypass valve.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

six wrote:
Shadow wrote:Most (if not all) modern turbo cars do not have blow-off valves or diverter valves that are vented to the atmosphere, so it's not as easy to hear them. The one on my car is extremely quiet. I don't think I've ever been able to hear it at all. I can hear the turbo spooling though, but even that is very difficult to hear.
You can easily change that. Switch to an aftermarket short-ram intake and an aftermarket bypass valve.
I wasn't complaining....I don't necessarily want to hear my diverter valve. And I definitely don't want it to sneeze/cough during shifts. I'm actually really happy with the sounds my car makes now that I installed the exhaust. I can still hear a hint of turbo spooling over the deeper & louder sound from the exhaust. It's still not loud at all though, but it's such an improvement because Audi made the stock exhaust about as loud as the exhaust on a new Prius.

Here's an A5 with a diverter valve vented to the atmosphere. I don't really think it sounds too good:

Gerard
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Gerard »

Shadow is right, I can hear the turbo spool but thats about it. I had installed an open intake and you can hear the DV at that point.

But I noticed I lost a good amoount of torque...so I went back to the stock intake.
Blow-off valves would really be a waste, its basically a loud DV in a sense...except it vents to atmosphere (VTA)
DV's recirculate back to the intake system. Really no need to change it if there is no gain.
Because of the MAF sensor on the MINI, it would throw CEL's all day if I installed a VTA BOV.

Yea the BOV on that Audi doesn't sound all that great.

And good eye...yes that is a scangauge :mrgreen:
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

six wrote:
You forgot retuning in this case. Car won't run its best with straight swap from diverted to blow off
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650