My Truck: Hard Run through the gears Flowmaster & Dynomax

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

My Truck: Hard Run through the gears Flowmaster & Dynomax

Post by ClutchFork »

Flomaster Original 40 series. This was put on my truck without my approval and later removed because it was too loud.
But I am posting this because it is a nice hard run through the gears:

Now I am running a Dynomax Super Turbo and it is much better. You can hear the difference at idle, standing next to the side exit exhaust.
First 12 seconds is Dynomax Super Turbo, middle 12 seconds is the Flowmaster, last 12 seconds is again the Dynomax,
but with a couple throttle blips that sound pretty good.:

Here is a hard run with the Dynomax Super Turbo. The video does not really show how much quieter this one is inside the truck
(sorry for the dark video, but it was late in the day and my camera is not very good):
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Re: My Truck: Hard Run through the gears Flowmaster & Dynoma

Post by bk7794 »

Sounds pretty good when you open her up. How's the truck been treating you?
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

bk7794 wrote:Sounds pretty good when you open her up. How's the truck been treating you?
Pretty good other than clutch hydraulics problems. I paid $3000 for it with 68,000 miles in Dec 2011. The slave leaked at 70,000, the throwout siezed at 80,000 at which time we discovered the clutch disk at 1/16" off the rivets which Haynes manual says is time to replace so we did. New pilot bearing, disk, pressure plate, slave, throwout, and master cylinder (separate from brakes). All ZF Sachs, but the slave is a Power Torque. Working great. Only other problem was that it would skitter on freeway curve bumps, you know, kind of up and twist slightly in a rotational manner, very unsettling, but a new set of anti-sway bar bushings resolved that.

I did add an oil pressure gauge (mechanical) and it will run about 50-55 psi cold (90 in winter) and 20 hot idle, 40 hot on freeway. Max winter psi was 115 on 15 degree morning hitting the freeway.

I like it!
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

InlinePaul wrote:
bk7794 wrote:Sounds pretty good when you open her up. How's the truck been treating you?
Pretty good other than clutch hydraulics problems. I paid $3000 for it with 68,000 miles in Dec 2011. The slave leaked at 70,000, the throwout siezed at 80,000 at which time we discovered the clutch disk at 1/16" off the rivets which Haynes manual says is time to replace so we did. New pilot bearing, disk, pressure plate, slave, throwout, and master cylinder (separate from brakes). All ZF Sachs, but the slave is a Power Torque. Working great. Only other problem was that it would skitter on freeway curve bumps, you know, kind of up and twist slightly in a rotational manner, very unsettling, but a new set of anti-sway bar bushings resolved that.

I did add an oil pressure gauge (mechanical) and it will run about 50-55 psi cold (90 in winter) and 20 hot idle, 40 hot on freeway. Max winter psi was 115 on 15 degree morning hitting the freeway.

I like it!
These are not the Duratec engines, right? EDIT: Doing some googling, it looks like yours is a mazda engine. Right?

Good that you replaced the clutch, especially while the tranny was off.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

bk7794 wrote:These are not the Duratec engines, right? EDIT: Doing some googling, it looks like yours is a mazda engine. Right?

Yes this is the Duratec engine, a Mazda design with DOHC and chain driven camshafts. Tranny mazda also.

Yes, good timing on the clutch, so no loss, am set for the long haul now.
Stick shiftin since '77
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

InlinePaul wrote:
bk7794 wrote:These are not the Duratec engines, right? EDIT: Doing some googling, it looks like yours is a mazda engine. Right?

Yes this is the Duratec engine, a Mazda design with DOHC and chain driven camshafts. Tranny mazda also.

Yes, good timing on the clutch, so no loss, am set for the long haul now.
Oh it doesn't have a T5 on it? :( oh man. I think my buddys 08 has a T5. 4cyl
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

bk7794 wrote: Oh it doesn't have a T5 on it? :( oh man. I think my buddys 08 has a T5. 4cyl
I don't know what a T5 is, but my son's S10 (2001) has a New Venture 1500 gearbox and it is associated with Muncie somehow (merger in past or something). Anyway, his has that nice gear noise in low gear like the old Muncie Rock Crusher.
Stick shiftin since '77
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

I am now considering getting a ranger. Any complaints with rust or complaints in general?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Rangers are known for the leaf spring hangers/shackles/etc to completely rot away before the rest of the truck, but they're inexpensive and easy to replace.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

theholycow wrote:Rangers are known for the leaf spring hangers/shackles/etc to completely rot away before the rest of the truck, but they're inexpensive and easy to replace.
Hmm, now that you say that I think I remember you saying that. I remember now that you gave me a good link. I wish I can find it.

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazin ... racket.htm
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

theholycow wrote:Rangers are known for the leaf spring hangers/shackles/etc to completely rot away before the rest of the truck, but they're inexpensive and easy to replace.
My leaf spring mounts seem good but the ones on my '95 F150 rotted out (new ones actually curl back around, so these are half gone and it was hanging by a thread):

Ranger was pretty rusty underneath when I bought it, but the lady used it only for winter, driving a Mustang in summer. If you can find one that is clean underneath you should be fine. I picked up mine cheap ($3000 w 66,000 miles) so was willing to tolerate the existing rust.
Stick shiftin since '77
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

Damn! All you guys keep finding cheap pickups. The ones I am finding are overpriced vehicles! 3k with only 66k is amazing.

How hard was it to remove those hangers?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

bk7794 wrote:Damn! All you guys keep finding cheap pickups. The ones I am finding are overpriced vehicles! 3k with only 66k is amazing.
A search like this brings up plenty of 100,000-150,000 mile Rangers for $2000-3000. With some good scouring of craigslist and some patience it should be possible to find 66,000 miles for $3000, especially since I bet you don't mind the I4 and of course you want the 5MT.
http://providence.craigslist.org/search ... axAsk=3500

A few finds without scrolling far:
http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/3702713955.html
http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/3715072643.html
http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/3715229267.html

Not sure why you, of all people, would worry about miles. You've got us all beat on that issue and your car still goes every day.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

bk7794 wrote:Damn! All you guys keep finding cheap pickups. The ones I am finding are overpriced vehicles! 3k with only 66k is amazing.

How hard was it to remove those hangers?
A shop removed the hangers with a torch to burn out the rivets. You can see some melted metal if you look closely.

Here is how I got a cheap Ranger with low miles:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... ost2468645

But it does have a lot of rust on the undercarriage.
Stick shiftin since '77