My new car! 16 WRX

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Re: My new car! 16 WRX

Post by Teamwork »

potownrob wrote:haha i'll have to go check out that vortex thread. i can understand the manual shift questions being scoffed at. to many people who know how to drive manual, they forget how hard it can be to learn to drive manual. SEARCH NOOB!! :P :o :lol:
Agreeing with you and potown about the VW forum. I went on there about the rev hang and was just creeping and reading about it and people seemed nice. I never asked a question on NASIOC about driving a manual because man were they harsh to people. Calling them noobs and stuff. Saying things like learn how to drive and stuff. Someone posted how rev hang was affecting them learning to drive(like myself) and they lit that person up saying their just terrible and a crap driver.
The WRX aftermarket vendor support is truly unlimited in comparison to anything else minus maybe the Honda Civic SI market. The GTI aftermarket support is pretty decent too but it's not on the WRX level or even really close. The communities though are kind of a wash for me... I think the MK7 community is actually pretty decent and a lot of the guys from the new WRX gen (I can't remember the code name) are kind of suspect online. A big issue is this is the first generation of WRX that has an automatic option and the hardcore guys feel "betrayed". Whenever I see a GTI I automatically assume it's a DSG unless I have reason to believe otherwise (and most of the time I'm correct at face value).

There's actually been a few manual questions in regards to my car and the general facts are pretty widely accepted on the forums with not too much trolling or fights.
Ewilon1988
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2016 WRX 6MT

Post by Ewilon1988 »

I love the options available for the wrx. I only added the spoiler and changed the back badges to black(which looks amazing with the red car). I don't plan on adding more, a bit worried about what happens with trading it in and them low balling me. Of course the VW forums were generally nice people. Volkswagen is German and German people are known to be super nice :wink:
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote: The WRX aftermarket vendor support is truly unlimited in comparison to anything else minus maybe the Honda Civic SI market. The GTI aftermarket support is pretty decent too but it's not on the WRX level or even really close. The communities though are kind of a wash for me... I think the MK7 community is actually pretty decent and a lot of the guys from the new WRX gen (I can't remember the code name) are kind of suspect online. A big issue is this is the first generation of WRX that has an automatic option and the hardcore guys feel "betrayed". Whenever I see a GTI I automatically assume it's a DSG unless I have reason to believe otherwise (and most of the time I'm correct at face value).

There's actually been a few manual questions in regards to my car and the general facts are pretty widely accepted on the forums with not too much trolling or fights.
yeah, the vortex and other VW oriented forums i've been on have been decent. nasioc, maxima.org (i had a 98 maxima for a few years) and most honda forums have been bad in comparison. have to point out that the first gen WRX we had in the states (which i think was actually the 2nd gen of the wrx) was available with a crappy 4 speed automatic. i think they may be more upset that they got a CVT instead of a dual clutch tranny for this new gen WRX. I personally would consider the GTI DSG, and have it on my radar for my next car (yes, already - if i can fit in it is another question). other than the potentially expensive fluid change, it looks to be a very good gear box.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Ewilon1988
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ewilon1988 »

Would the SS members burn you alive if you bought an automatic lol? :wink:
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Ewilon1988 wrote:Would the SS members burn you alive if you bought an automatic lol? :wink:
they didn't the last three times I did, not literally at least...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:
Ewilon1988 wrote:Would the SS members burn you alive if you bought an automatic lol? :wink:
they didn't the last three times I did, not literally at least...
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

In an ideal world I would love to own a less functional manual vehicle like a 2 door something with RWD and own an automatic beater for winter usage. I got a 4 door FWD GTI to play it safe for the unpredictable, unstable, transitions in my 20's but really the cars that I really loved and wanted to make work logically in my head on the short/long-term were the BRZ/FRS twins and the MX5. One of my neighbors down the block had an STI and some automatic Lexus ES beater (it's like an early 2000s one).
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

I don't like automatics for winter. A shift at an inopportune time can cause traction loss.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:
In an ideal world I would love to own a less functional manual vehicle like a 2 door something with RWD and own an automatic beater for winter usage. I got a 4 door FWD GTI to play it safe for the unpredictable, unstable, transitions in my 20's but really the cars that I really loved and wanted to make work logically in my head on the short/long-term were the BRZ/FRS twins and the MX5. One of my neighbors down the block had an STI and some automatic Lexus ES beater (it's like an early 2000s one).
A hot hatch like the GTI (or Focus ST) makes more sense as a daily driver than those other cars - more practical and more comfortable ride. I see they offer a performance pack for the GTI that includes LSD (only real reason to get it IIRC), but what I've gathered so far is that the car handles very well without it.
Ewilon1988
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ewilon1988 »

I just spent the last 3 days in Atlanta(I'm from New Orleans), and we took my GFs Audi for gas purposes. I'm kinda glad we did too and not just because it gets better MPGs, because driving a standard in that traffic would have killed me. Idk if it's because I'm still not good at it yet or what not but I couldn't picture myself driving my car there lol.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

IMBoring25 wrote:I don't like automatics for winter. A shift at an inopportune time can cause traction loss.
I still need more/better snow experience and with better tires and I will most likely change my stance.
A hot hatch like the GTI (or Focus ST) makes more sense as a daily driver than those other cars - more practical and more comfortable ride. I see they offer a performance pack for the GTI that includes LSD (only real reason to get it IIRC), but what I've gathered so far is that the car handles very well without it.
I just realized I never made my own thread on my car... only really posted in that community forum. I do have the PP package with the LSD though. I got it for the bigger brakes more than the LSD but the LSD is noticeable in the real world even if you aren't driving at the limits. I honestly am not quite sure how functional the LSD is in inclement weather but when I am going out of a high apron driveway where one of my front tires is planted and the other is kind of "hanging" I can feel the LSD engage if I accelerate moderately. Some spiraling entrance ramps using gas while turning you can definitely feel a shift as well. It's pretty subtle I'd say but noticeable enough to know it's working.
I just spent the last 3 days in Atlanta(I'm from New Orleans), and we took my GFs Audi for gas purposes. I'm kinda glad we did too and not just because it gets better MPGs, because driving a standard in that traffic would have killed me. Idk if it's because I'm still not good at it yet or what not but I couldn't picture myself driving my car there lol.
You're clutch as I stated in the other thread is the heaviest of the big 3 and I don't think that's relative to the person- I think it's simply fact. I've told many in the forum that I had to do a 35-40 mile non-stop stint with a great mix of driving variations and typically some moderate to heavy traffic and I don't really get fatigued clutching in/out 50 times re-engaging pulsing 1st gear and gliding for a little. Very soft and very vague clutch in the GTI... if anything the one thing that would fatigue me is the physical distance from fully floored to the top of the engagement point. A lot of people install a different clutch pedal stop to shorten the dead travel distance. I'm too scared to do it though.
Ewilon1988
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ewilon1988 »

I think you're right. It sucks because driving Kennesaw Mtn up there would have been amazing with the awd of my car. In fact I saw 3 new WRXs while I was there
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

I actually got a manual rental for a business trip to Atlanta once. I dislike driving in Atlanta generally but the manual was a bright spot for me, even there.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Ewilon1988 wrote:I think you're right. It sucks because driving Kennesaw Mtn up there would have been amazing with the awd of my car. In fact I saw 3 new WRXs while I was there
good time to hit up the tail of the dragon, eh?? :twisted:
Ewilon1988
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ewilon1988 »

IMBoring25 wrote:I actually got a manual rental for a business trip to Atlanta once. I dislike driving in Atlanta generally but the manual was a bright spot for me, even there.
I envy you lol. I would have had a panic attack. I'm sure that's just because I'm still new though. What's the tail of the dragon?