The new Ef One Fiddy

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

The new Ef One Fiddy

Post by AHTOXA »

Yeah, I sold my manual car and I don't have any regrets. Had I bought an auto Wranger, or an auto WRX (I would never), I'd have regrets, but in this case, no. I don't think I'd actually want a half ton or bigger with a manual.

Obviously still have the motorcycle for my manual needs.

2.7 Ecoboost (went in fully wanting the 3.5 ecoboost or 5.0 but this motor impressed me substantially)
4x4
Selectable locker
"offroad" factory shocks
some flimsy factory skid plates
a few creature comfort goodies

ImageDSC_0259-1 by anthony zanegin, on Flickr

Could not be happier; love this thing.

I'm planning on getting a bedliner and that's about it. No lift or what not in the near future.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: The new Ef One Fiddy

Post by potownrob »

epic winning. uber cool wheels. much happiness. :mrgreen:

edit: time to change the sig and car info 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Nice rig. His name should be Michelin Man or Jet-Puft.

Does that have the upgraded radio or is that base + offroad package? I forget where FX4 slots in the hierarchy. My friend has the XLT with the 2.7 and it's pretty cool (then again I've never been a V8 or bust guy).

Different strokes...
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Shoulda bought a Ferd F-Teenthousand
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

tankinbeans wrote:Nice rig. His name should be Michelin Man or Jet-Puft.

Does that have the upgraded radio or is that base + offroad package? I forget where FX4 slots in the hierarchy. My friend has the XLT with the 2.7 and it's pretty cool (then again I've never been a V8 or bust guy).

Different strokes...
It's an XLT with 302 (highest) package and Sync 3. Love the fact that it runs Android auto for my GPS needs.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

totally expected 2.7 ecoboost to be torqueless wonder. left surprised and impressed... http://www.f150hub.com/specs/2.7-ecoboost.html
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Apparently, it's pretty cool in Sport mode (which always seems to be a bit useless in a truck, but...) and will hold gears much longer than necessary. My friend seems to think he can hoon in the damn thing, but I just drive it - when given the chance - like a regular car. I wouldn't own one because I don't need anything that big.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

tankinbeans wrote:Sport mode (which always seems to be a bit useless in a truck, but...)
It's pretty much the same thing as "Tow/Haul" mode. That mode in my truck works great as a "Sport" mode. It is useful when you're running a construction company and need to drive into the city to pick up blueprints and materials and then get them to the jobsite ASAP in a bunch of traffic. Sometimes you gotta jump out into traffic hard or make difficult passes, and a lot of those guys are high-strung so they drive like that anyway.

It's probably also useful for office-dwelling bros who inexplicably think it's necessary to drive such a vehicle with a pristine, unused, appendix of a bed on sportscar-compatible pavement between their house and their office. Tonebone, you're not going to dangle a bike rack off the rear of the truck instead of at least using your bed to haul your bike, are you?

You know, similar to this bro with the shiny Hummer that has never even driven on grass let alone dirt:
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

theholycow wrote: It's probably also useful for office-dwelling bros who inexplicably think it's necessary to drive such a vehicle with a pristine, unused, appendix of a bed on sportscar-compatible pavement between their house and their office. Tonebone, you're not going to dangle a bike rack off the rear of the truck instead of at least using your bed to haul your bike, are you?
:lol: That kind of describes what I've been doing since I got the truck. Quite accurately, really.

First things first - the bed will get used but it will stay in good shape. I don't have anything to prove with a scratched and dented to shit bed. So, I'm getting it lined shortly (hopefully before Thanksgiving, but might not happen with work timing).

I'll use the bike rack if I need the bed for something else, otherwise the bike is going into the bed. Hanging the front forks over the tailgate actually works well from what I see around the trails here (with proper tailgate paint protection), so that's what I'll run.

What will I use the bed for?
- occasional motorcycle transport
- hunting
- camping and outdoors (with people, by myself I don't need nowhere near so much stuff)

The truck won't be wheeled hard like my other trucks have, but 4x4 and rear locker will come in handy. This weekend I'm heading out to the GF's dad's property in south Texas. Going to see if we can get some wild hogs out there. He's an avid hunter and I could use some lessons.

Do I need a truck? No.
Do I want a truck? Yes. 8)
Last edited by AHTOXA on Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

potownrob wrote:totally expected 2.7 ecoboost to be torqueless wonder. left surprised and impressed... http://www.f150hub.com/specs/2.7-ecoboost.html
I was in the same boat. It's a hell of a quick truck; never through I'd say that about a half ton with a twin-snail small(er) V6.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Yeah, that's a fine use for a pickup, even if the truck won't get any scars to show for it. Avoiding scars makes with your A(utomotive)DHD.

I suspect that your bike takes plenty of abuse and scratches and gets laid down/crashed on the trail occasionally; if so, you might want to just throw it in the bed on its side, completely in the bed. There's no quicker way to load it, and when you're tired/beat after a tough ride you don't have to worry about strapping anything or protecting the tailgate, just throw it in and drive away.

tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Oz has had dead things in it, scratchy things, denty things and any number of thingy things. My friend puts it through its Pisces. 16 months old with 37k miles.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

theholycow wrote:Yeah, that's a fine use for a pickup, even if the truck won't get any scars to show for it. Avoiding scars makes with your A(utomotive)DHD.

I suspect that your bike takes plenty of abuse and scratches and gets laid down/crashed on the trail occasionally; if so, you might want to just throw it in the bed on its side, completely in the bed. There's no quicker way to load it, and when you're tired/beat after a tough ride you don't have to worry about strapping anything or protecting the tailgate, just throw it in and drive away.
Haha, nah. I have a 450 lb Adventure Bike. It's 80% street and is way too heavy for any serious trail work. I have never ridden anything worse than a fire road on it.

It is actually in pristine shape and I hope to keep it that way.

I may pick up a 250cc dirt bike though.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

With the discussion of a bike rack I thought the subject was the Giant.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

IMBoring25 wrote:With the discussion of a bike rack I thought the subject was the Giant.
Me too.