CBD's new ride!

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: CBD's new ride!

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:You may be the first person I've ever seen on the internet to use the correct "lo and behold" instead of "low and behold". Image

While it's certainly likely that the sensor failed after you disturbed an unseen piece of dirt or bumped the sensor, do triple-check that you didn't slightly loosen the connector or the sensor's mount, yank the cable so it loosened elsewhere, disturb a marginal wire that finally broke inside its jacket, or worst of all, mess up the timing or the camshaft's bearing so the sensor is sending an accurate signal that describes messed up timing and therefore sets the camshaft sensor code.
He meant to type "low", but his "w" key is sporadic.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

theholycow wrote:While it's certainly likely that the sensor failed after you disturbed an unseen piece of dirt or bumped the sensor, do triple-check that you didn't slightly loosen the connector or the sensor's mount, yank the cable so it loosened elsewhere, disturb a marginal wire that finally broke inside its jacket, or worst of all, mess up the timing or the camshaft's bearing so the sensor is sending an accurate signal that describes messed up timing and therefore sets the camshaft sensor code.
This is why Im glad I dont have any cam sensors. My prone-to-fail crank sensor is painful enough.
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

Neat! That's a good looking car.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

Well, this turned into a shit fest. Nothing at all to do with the cam sensor. It started running worse and worse, so I parked it when it finally barely started. Decided to check the timing after trying a different cam sensor with no improvement. Cams were both two teeth out of sync with the crank. Thought sure we screwed up, fixed it...and a little more than a day later, CEL is back on...same code, and the same behavior began. Pull the crap off to get the upper timing cover off and found this time they're both one tooth out of sync. I asked a professional mechanic for his opinion and he agrees with me. Odds are pretty heavy that the brand new tensioner is junk out of the box. So I'm going to see if I can get a partial refund on the kit and go blow the obnoxious amount of money on an OEM tensioner.

:evil: :evil: :evil: GRRRRRRRRRR!
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

Problem seems to be solved. Aftermarket sensor seems to have been a dud. Nice. Swapped in an OEM part (the one that originally came off it) CEL popped off after a long test drive with a few stops, hasn't come back on. The timing is now correct, after replacing the dud aftermarket tensioner with an OEM part... for a measly $117. Hoooooooly F*CK they're proud of that shit. So I did the timing job three times in two weeks. I can confidently say I have some idea what I'm doing as far as a timing job on a Hyundai Delta motor. More pics coming soon! First though, she needs a bath! Damn salt...
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

comingbackdown wrote: Image
Damn salt...
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"