CBD's new ride!

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

CBD's new ride!

Post by comingbackdown »

Great to see you all again! Finally picked up a new (to me) ride, and I'm thrilled to be rowing my own gears again!

She's a 2008 Hyundai Tiburon SE, 2.7L V6, 6MT. 87,000 miles, two prior owners, squeaky clean title.
Installed mods: CAI and NIA eyelids.

Needs: Spoiler is a bit faded, will need repainted at some point. There's bird shit etched into the paint that I'll have to fix, one paint chip on the hood, and thanks to the "I bought a new vehicle it can't even stay mint for a week" curse, rock chips on the hood and bumper. Dammit.

What I've done so far: Changed the right rear caliper which I'll now have to paint to match the rest, changed the gear oil for some Redline MT85, bled the clutch, and detailed it top to bottom.

What I'm going to do: Before winter really hits, timing job. Come spring the modding begins and I've got a list that would bankrupt an impatient man.

On to the pictures!

The day I got her.

Time for some wash and wax! In the middle of the process. There's an '03 in the background, and what's that next to mine?

That would be my good friend's 2010 Genesis Coupe, also a manual and a hell of a lot faster than mine.

That's a fine pair of automobiles right there!

Now for a couple night shots!

Interior, as I'm working on adding even more wax since our daylight ran out in the above pictures.

There, that's better! Now for some daytime shots with the fresh wax job!

The parking lot at work. my Tiburon, my friend's Genesis Coupe, and our other coworker's '06 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

Nice to be back among the fold! Three pedals, rowing my own gears... Feels like coming home after a long and tiring journey.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: CBD's new ride!

Post by potownrob »

nice whip. nice friends' whips. welcome back. 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

potownrob wrote:nice whip. nice friends' whips. welcome back. 8)
Good to be back, brother! Long time no see!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Nice! I test drove one when they were new and I was pretty impressed. Any thoughts on the car yet? Will you be posting a review thread?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Nice ride, man! They are good cars, I like them.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

A W E S O M E E E E
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

theholycow wrote:Nice! I test drove one when they were new and I was pretty impressed. Any thoughts on the car yet? Will you be posting a review thread?
A few thoughts. I like the layout of things. The caliper swap was a real pain but thus far nothing seems too difficult to do on it. We'll see how I feel after doing the timing job. Kit hit my front porch yesterday. Awwwww, yeah! She drives nice. I have a bent rim to deal with so it's not quite perfect yet.

Ride is stiff but pleasant. It'll be stiffer once I upgrade the suspension. Handling is agile and responsive. No understeer yet, I have however kicked one of the tires loose through a corner and I have dealt with what feels like some extremely mild torque steer at WOT, very mild so easily handled. As far as daily driving, perfect. Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Interior is quiet but the engine is still audible. Climate control is excellent. Controls all make perfect sense aside from the fog light switch. I just leave them on. The shifting is still slightly abysmal, but the gear oil we drained came out very dark brown to greenish and foamy. If it's like my Cavalier was it'll smooth back out, it'll just take a little time.

Depending on how crazy I want to go with my plans I could see up to 320 HP on stock internals. If I buy a good block and build the internals, I could see 400+ with enough work. That's going to require more mods. Heavy duty LSD at $1,200, gearing change, very expensive clutch kit, etc. Not sure if I'm up for that much work.

Biggest pain in my ass aside from welding and tuning is going to be the fuel system. It's a returnless system with an internal pressure regulator on the pump. To do what I want to do, the pump has to be swapped out and it HAS to be converted to a return style system with the FPR on the rail. No other way to make it happen. Luckily that's more than a year away. Hopefully come next fall I'll be starting school, so my time and available funding will be less but provided I find employment after I'm out I'll have enough income to do as I please with it.

Anyway, enough randomness. I'll drive it for a while and hopefully post a full review with video.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bill B »

Nice new ride. Hyundai does make a nice reliable vehicle for the money. My wife and I bought a new loaded V6 Sonata in 2004 for $21,000. Wife drove it for 6 years, then it became my father in laws in 2010 for the next 5 years. Now my brother is driving it to work everyday with no problems.
Bill Berckman
West Chester, Ohio
2007 Honda Element EX AWD 5 Speed MT
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Bill B wrote:Nice new ride. Hyundai does make a nice reliable vehicle for the money. My wife and I bought a new loaded V6 Sonata in 2004 for $21,000. Wife drove it for 6 years, then it became my father in laws in 2010 for the next 5 years. Now my brother is driving it to work everyday with no problems.
One of my good friend's father has driven nothing but Sonatas since 2000; they're now on their 4th (they've had a 2000, 2005, 2010, and a 2013). The only one I recall going wrong was the 2000, but it was 8 years old at the time so that's expected.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

drove an acquaintance's circa 01 4 cylinder manual tiburon once way back when (circa 2006). found it had decent torques and decent funness. didn't feel as quality as a honda, but that would be expecting a lot, even during that period in time. comparing to rsx of that time period (02-06), it felt torquier and handled almost as well (differently from what i remember), but the shifter was definitely not as smooth. all in all, eye was impressed.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Wasn't the RSX one of those cars that had decent horsepressure ~190, but torque was around 130? Is this where Honda get the bad rap for being painfully slow at low speeds?

My 03 Accord was fine, but others...
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:Wasn't the RSX one of those cars that had decent horsepressure ~190, but torque was around 130? Is this where Honda get the bad rap for being painfully slow at low speeds?

My 03 Accord was fine, but others...
the rsx type s had close to 200 hp but much lower torque as high rpms. the base (or premium) rsx had like 160 hp but lower torques but at lower rpms than the type s made its torques. the k20 in the base RSX was said to have a flat power delivery, but this in my experience depended on how it was driven. definitely not as torquey as the k24, but the k20 was more rev happy. to get an idea of a sporty k20 vs a sporty k24, watch videos or read reviews comparing the 8th and 9th gen civic si. the torqueless rap came from earlier, probably with the B and D series engines. the K20 was an improvement, but still lacking compared to cars with bigger or turbo'd engines.
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

Update: Timing job done. That was a bitch! It was fun, but you shouldn't have to pull the belt and reinstall it three times to get the damn timing dead on. Also: After I finished the timing job, started it up and lo and behold, CEL for the cam sensor. Most likely culprit is the sensor took a shit. This thing is just full of surprises.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

You may be the first person I've ever seen on the internet to use the correct "lo and behold" instead of "low and behold". Image

While it's certainly likely that the sensor failed after you disturbed an unseen piece of dirt or bumped the sensor, do triple-check that you didn't slightly loosen the connector or the sensor's mount, yank the cable so it loosened elsewhere, disturb a marginal wire that finally broke inside its jacket, or worst of all, mess up the timing or the camshaft's bearing so the sensor is sending an accurate signal that describes messed up timing and therefore sets the camshaft sensor code.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD