Jomotopia's STi (Updated 9/12/09 - Stage 2!)

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
Takigu
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 98 s-10 4.3L vortec v6

Re: Jomotopia's STi

Post by Takigu »

i was looking into STI's the other day they seem to be pretty sweet cars. any major problems you have had with yours?
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

Takigu wrote:i was looking into STI's the other day they seem to be pretty sweet cars. any major problems you have had with yours?
The one I remember was the little shifter incident...

John, you need to be about 25 before you consider so little weight and so much power...

Even I would wind up getting hurt hauling that much ass.

(Go ahead, make fun of the above sentence... Perverts...)
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
Takigu
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Takigu »

i didnt say i was buying one i said i was looking at one
Takigu
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Takigu »

paul34 wrote:
jomotopia wrote:
CGMSTI wrote:Lots of good deals on used TBE's since lots of ppl are selling their GD STI's now. Anxious to see what numbers you hit when you go stage 2!

Im currently stage 2 aswell.
i doubt i'll actually get on a dyno though, was planning to just use the Cobb OTS map. didn't want to drop more money for a pro-tune and dyno time. i'm not too concerned with the actual numbers, i just want the car to feel fast again since i've gotten used to it at its current power level.
Are you suggesting that horsepower is like crack? You're probably right.
yes it is, yes it is
maxpyr0
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 Dodge SRT-4

Post by maxpyr0 »

STI's are the envy of interiors for turbocharged cars. Wish I had a better interior, props!
2004 Dodge SRT-4 5 Spd
----
*Trade* 2004 VW Golf 5 Spd
----
*RIP* 2002 Nissan SE-R Spec V 6 Spd
----
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Uh... As much as I want an STi, I wouldnt trade my interior for an STi interior ever.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

Takigu wrote:i was looking into STI's the other day they seem to be pretty sweet cars. any major problems you have had with yours?
i have not had any major problems at all.

i have rear strut clunk, which is a common problem, but it's really just an annoyance is all b/c of the sound.

i had issues installing my short shifter b/c of the reverse lockout cable, but that's not a problem with the car, just difficulty modifying, and b/c the hole for the cable was not quite big enough on the new shifter.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Takigu
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Takigu »

jomotopia wrote:
i have not had any major problems at all.

i have rear strut clunk, which is a common problem, but it's really just an annoyance is all b/c of the sound.

i had issues installing my short shifter b/c of the reverse lockout cable, but that's not a problem with the car, just difficulty modifying, and b/c the hole for the cable was not quite big enough on the new shifter.
thats good to know thanks for the info
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

good to hear that it's still running like a champ

how many miles have you racked up so far?
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

vedran wrote:how many miles have you racked up so far?
just passed 75k this week.
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

How'd you rate your STi's reliability compared to how hard you drive the car?

And how well are the reputed to stand up to fairly spirited driving, assuming you don't try and do burnouts and stuff since it's AWD?
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

you can probably chirp all 4 tires from a high rev clutch dump. even stock, those motors make what? 300 hp at peak rpms?
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

LHOswald wrote:you can probably chirp all 4 tires from a high rev clutch dump. even stock, those motors make what? 300 hp at peak rpms?
High revs alone wouldn't get you to peak hp. You'd have to hold the clutch in the friction zone and load the driveline. An unloaded engine won't spool the turbo, no matter what RPM it's turning.
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

sitting wide open on the rev limiter will spool. or get a 2step and be sweet
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

eaglecatcher wrote:How'd you rate your STi's reliability compared to how hard you drive the car?

And how well are the reputed to stand up to fairly spirited driving, assuming you don't try and do burnouts and stuff since it's AWD?
extremely well. i drive the shit out of it. i've had no problems. closing in on 80k miles. they are known for reliability. there was a guy on IWSTI that had over 160k miles i think on his 04 STi, Stage 2 for about half that, and never had any major problems.
IMBoring25 wrote:
LHOswald wrote:you can probably chirp all 4 tires from a high rev clutch dump. even stock, those motors make what? 300 hp at peak rpms?
High revs alone wouldn't get you to peak hp. You'd have to hold the clutch in the friction zone and load the driveline. An unloaded engine won't spool the turbo, no matter what RPM it's turning.
yeah 300 hp stock. you can chirp all 4 on a hard launch, but like IMBoring said, you have to do it right. you can't just hold the revs up high and drop the clutch, the motor will just bog down. you have let the clutch out while you are mashing the throttle/bringing the revs up, and you have let it slip for a split second before dropping it.

-----------------

so i just bought a TBE on wednesday! :mrgreen: well, it's not really a FULL TBE, it's a Turbo XS Stealthback. super huge 4" down pipe, high flow cat, and 3" mid pipe, but it will bolt up to the stock axle-back so i can keep the stock look and sound, and i could go with a different axle back later if i want. it'll look like i have the stock exhaust but i'll have the extra power. :D then if i can ever find an aspen white wingless trunk lid i can go a bit sleeper.

bought it from a guy on IWSTI for a great price. unfortunately i won't be able to install it this weekend b/c i had to order a gasket/bolt/etc hardware kit. but next weekend that sucker goes on, flash the Stage 2 map, and she should feel fast to me again! :mrgreen: