Tinton's '88 Fiero GT 5-speed

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Re: Tinton's '88 Fiero GT 5-speed

Post by Tinton »

Rope-Pusher wrote:I had a TPS issue that gave some of your symptoms wunce upon a thyme. It turned out they were a high warranty item in the '80s
Hey, do you think it could be bad, even if the ECU isn't showing a trouble code?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Tinton wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:I had a TPS issue that gave some of your symptoms wunce upon a thyme. It turned out they were a high warranty item in the '80s
Hey, do you think it could be bad, even if the ECU isn't showing a trouble code?
Mine used to throw codes, but how do it know if the TPS is bad? I think it has to read an open circuit, not just a wrong value. Just like the thermos - keeps hot stuff hot and cold stuff cold, without a temperature sensor. How do it know?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Tinton
Master Standardshifter

Post by Tinton »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
Tinton wrote:
Mine used to throw codes, but how do it know if the TPS is bad? I think it has to read an open circuit, not just a wrong value. Just like the thermos - keeps hot stuff hot and cold stuff cold, without a temperature sensor. How do it know?
Yeah, I had an issue with my 86 Fiero where the temp sensor for the engine was off. It thought it was like -40*F or something, didn't throw a code or anything, it kept the engine idling at like 2500 though. I guess it really thought it was -40*F outside :roll:.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

^I can tell you from experience that as smart a thermos might be, it can't multi-task. If you put ice cream and tomato soup in at the same time, it can't keep it straight and you get luke-warm whatever.
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

i've heard a blonde joke that went something like that
A blonde is in a store and sees a thermos. She picks it up and
asks the clerk what it is. The clerk says, "It's a thermos. It
keeps hot things hot and cold things cold."

The blonde decides to buy the thermos. She brings it to work the
next day. The blonde's boss (also a blonde) asks what it is.
"It's a thermos. It keeps hot things hot and cold things cold,"
explains the blonde. "So what do you have in it?" asks the boss.
The blonde answers, "Some hot chocolate and a popcicle."
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

LHOswald wrote:i've heard a blonde joke that went something like that
A blonde is in a store and sees a thermos. She picks it up and
asks the clerk what it is. The clerk says, "It's a thermos. It
keeps hot things hot and cold things cold."

The blonde decides to buy the thermos. She brings it to work the
next day. The blonde's boss (also a blonde) asks what it is.
"It's a thermos. It keeps hot things hot and cold things cold,"
explains the blonde. "So what do you have in it?" asks the boss.
The blonde answers, "Some hot chocolate and a popcicle."
Those Blondes copy everything.
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

Rope-Pusher wrote:If you put ice cream and tomato soup in at the same time...
Man, I thought that would be like dividing by 0 or something.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

noob5,000,000 wrote:
The limit goes to infancy as you approach 0. Try using the letter "O" and see if it catches you.
eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mustang GT

Post by eggwich delfiero »

Man, I love your Fiero. Once I move out of the city and have some room to splay crap all over the place, a Fiero and a Datsun 510 are at the top of my want list. I almost spit up when I read about the guy asking if it was a Lotus, hilarious.

Love the TC rims too, cool they fit without spacers or anything. I also love how the rear window on the later models are actually outside of the interior and just look on to the trunk of the car.

And I know it helps with looks, but seriously, do Fieros really need to be lowered? (this is a serious question) I haven't had one in fifteen years, but man those things sit low and corner well.
Tinton
Master Standardshifter

Post by Tinton »

eggwich delfiero wrote:Man, I love your Fiero. Once I move out of the city and have some room to splay crap all over the place, a Fiero and a Datsun 510 are at the top of my want list. I almost spit up when I read about the guy asking if it was a Lotus, hilarious.

Love the TC rims too, cool they fit without spacers or anything. I also love how the rear window on the later models are actually outside of the interior and just look on to the trunk of the car.

And I know it helps with looks, but seriously, do Fieros really need to be lowered? (this is a serious question) I haven't had one in fifteen years, but man those things sit low and corner well.

Thanks dude, and you had a Fiero of your own back in the day? Nice! 8)

And yes, Fieros need to be lowered. If you look at the pictures of my old 88GT you can tell its much better than stock, that's because I lowered it 1" up in front. My current '88GT looks like it has the nose sticking up because of the way they did the suspension in 1988. Pre-88's don't have the problem. I also don't like having so much wheelwell gap :?, I think if I lowered the car a couple inches in front and 1" in back it'd even it out and make it look less like a 4x4, lol.
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

Tinton wrote:
Bawked wrote:heres an idea... run 14 pound on the 2, get rid of the bov and get it tuned. ct26b @ 20 pound should be dead by now....
Says the Camry owner, right? :roll: :lol:
I drive an mr2 dude :roll:
<3 fwd
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo V6

Post by ElectroGhandi »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
noob5,000,000 wrote:
The limit goes to infancy as you approach 0. Try using the letter "O" and see if it catches you.
+1 Calculus is just a trick to divide by 0.
eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mustang GT

Post by eggwich delfiero »

Tinton wrote: Thanks dude, and you had a Fiero of your own back in the day? Nice! 8)

And yes, Fieros need to be lowered. If you look at the pictures of my old 88GT you can tell its much better than stock, that's because I lowered it 1" up in front. My current '88GT looks like it has the nose sticking up because of the way they did the suspension in 1988. Pre-88's don't have the problem. I also don't like having so much wheelwell gap :?, I think if I lowered the car a couple inches in front and 1" in back it'd even it out and make it look less like a 4x4, lol.
Yeah, I had an 84 automatic with the Iron Duke when I was sixteen. After working with my dad all summer, I was surprised with the option of picking out my own car. Well, kind of picking out my own car...my only two choices were an 84 Fiero containing an amazing amount of cigarette butts from his coworker or a Chrysler New Yorker (idk the year) that "may or may not have been in the Detroit River" from the bartender at our regular lunch spot. I gotta admit, I was kind of pulled toward the New Yorker, as it had leather seats and was the pinnacle of faux luxury, but it was one of those cars that talked to you, and just during a ten minute test drive it said three or four strange commands at random ("Door is ajar", "please put on seatbelt", etc.), so yeah, I think it spent time in the river. :lol:

I loved that Fiero, beat the living hell out of it. I actually snuck it out of the garage and crashed it (not badly, just winter stupidity) before it was even given to me. My parents were not amused. I can't imagine that car being lowered any more, so your saying only 88s require it makes more sense to me now.

Regarding wheelgap, I would love to lower my car and get rid of all that dead space (the Mustangs wheel wells are made big enough to accommodate the stock 19s with snow chains, so my 17s look pretty; pretty awful) but I'm hesitant. I've read plenty about how lowering an S197 puts the car's functional center of gravity (probably not the right term, but I bet you know what I mean) below ground level, resulting in diminished handling capacity. So for now, I'd rather look bad and handle well than the opposite.
Keep this thread going, I look forward to reading what you're up to with the Fiero.