Car Cleaning/Care FAQ

What to do to keep your car looking and running like new, inside and out.
mikebai1990
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mikebai1990 »

You can drive the car onto ramps, or jack it up.
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

Or even jsut directing water into the underbody can help.... unless you're slammed
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

Here's a question for all you detailing nuts... what do i use/do to get the chrome on my exhaust tip shiny again?
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

of any type? apply with micro-fiber towel?
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
mikebai1990
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mikebai1990 »

http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/ ... ome+polish

There you go :) Basically, the suggested brands are Mothers, Meguiars, Griots, Autosol, and so on... I think a microfiber towel should be fine. You might want to give the exhaust a good wash and a claying before you do the polish. you will probably get better results. Good luck :)
JHamilton
Master Standardshifter

Post by JHamilton »

jomotopia wrote:Here's a question for all you detailing nuts... what do i use/do to get the chrome on my exhaust tip shiny again?
A standard car polish will work too. I use an old applicator pad and an old microfiber to remove. I have actually done this to a friend's STi and those tips are very good chrome and would be difficult to damage. I'm much more anal than he is.....I hate dirty tips. :lol:
Silence is golden and duct tape is silver.

2005 Pontiac GTO 6MT
2011 Ram 1500 CC Laramie 4x4
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

i have a question,

aside from the "headlight cleaning kits" that they have for sale at auto parts stores, is there anything else that will do the trick?
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
mikebai1990
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mikebai1990 »

Yes. Meguiars PlastX is specifically designed to clear up headlight haze.
Daywalker
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Daywalker »

Walmart has an awesome chrome polish that we use for our fire trucks before parades. I forgot the name of it, but its a big thing of cotton that comes in a tin. The stuff is awesome. Its probably sold somewhere else, but we bought it at walmart.
Standardshifter
Site Admin
Cars: 2005 Legacy GT, Buell

Post by Standardshifter »

Dusting off this thread, since it is spring cleaning time.

I've used Klasse products for a couple of years now. Some products might get you a brighter shine/deeper wet look or might be easier to apply, but you can't beat Klasse in terms of overall protection, shine and ease of application/removal. Do a solid cleaning/application twice a year, with a few diluted applications at the end of a typical car wash the rest of the time.

As far as exhaust tips go, going to be tough keeping them clean especially with a turbo Jomo. I gave up before even trying. :D

-Standardshifter
Shifting the Standard of Automotive Websites
violinandbass87

Post by violinandbass87 »

how do u apply wax? i have to wash/wax our van (full size conversion van...sux), and i forgot how to wax...:( (i also HATE waxing, cuz you have to go in circles, right? and my wrists are really weak right now...and can't take too many circles)

thanks!
mikebai1990
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mikebai1990 »

Wax can be applied with either a microfiber, terry, or foam applicator. You can find the applicators at almost any car store. You can wax in circles or in straight lines, although going in circles will probably give you more even coverage.

Otherwise, you can get a orbital buffer to apply the wax easily :)
violinandbass87

mikebai1990 wrote:Wax can be applied with either a microfiber, terry, or foam applicator. You can find the applicators at almost any car store. You can wax in circles or in straight lines, although going in circles will probably give you more even coverage.

Otherwise, you can get a orbital buffer to apply the wax easily :)
so u just put the stuff on the vehicle? i just use an old towel...the van is nothing special lol
mikebai1990
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mikebai1990 »

scion_xA_gf wrote:so u just put the stuff on the vehicle? i just use an old towel...the van is nothing special lol
Well, yes you basically put the stuff on the vehicle. Your goal is to make the application as thin as possible. When you buff off the wax, only a molecular layer of wax will actually adhere to the surface. Thus, you just need to ensure that you have evenly spread the wax so that the paint is thoroughly covered. If I were you, I would just go buy an applicator and apply the wax. I'm quite into detailing, so I try not to make swirls or scratches on the paint. Of course, if you don't really care, I guess an old towel would work..... But I strongly advise against it :)
violinandbass87

mikebai1990 wrote:
scion_xA_gf wrote:so u just put the stuff on the vehicle? i just use an old towel...the van is nothing special lol
Well, yes you basically put the stuff on the vehicle. Your goal is to make the application as thin as possible. When you buff off the wax, only a molecular layer of wax will actually adhere to the surface. Thus, you just need to ensure that you have evenly spread the wax so that the paint is thoroughly covered. If I were you, I would just go buy an applicator and apply the wax. I'm quite into detailing, so I try not to make swirls or scratches on the paint. Of course, if you don't really care, I guess an old towel would work..... But I strongly advise against it :)
dad says towel is fine. besides, is my moms car...not his bug (which is precious, i guess)...and it gets beat up a bit...:? (its a 2000 chevy van)