*New Language, Context, & Attitude (Now in Effect)*

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: *New Language, Context, & Attitude (Now in Effect)*

Post by AHTOXA »

Johnf!
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

Johnf?!
How've you been, man?!

Quick, somebody post the flying buttsecks picture!
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

I have no idea why I was reading this thread at nearly 11 in the evening, but the first page of this brought back memories of this place long ago, before social media became the default replacement for forums by creating groups and thus nearly killing this place. I'm surprised the 5 people that post here still do so, to be honest.

How the things have changed in 10 years.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:39 am I have no idea why I was reading this thread at nearly 11 in the evening, but the first page of this brought back memories of this place long ago, before social media became the default replacement for forums by creating groups and thus nearly killing this place. I'm surprised the 5 people that post here still do so, to be honest.

How the things have changed in 10 years.
eye yam trigger!! :o :evil: :cry:

in all seriousness, the SS was something to behold back in the mid to late 2000s. no shortage of characters and posts left and right. it was funny yet sad at the same time how people like johnf and jomo (who were supposed to be mods) would disappear for months and years on end and then we'd flip out when they reappeared for a single post then disappeared again. what the hell happened to prodigal son? something about him getting sick of our immaturity?? :lol: :oops: at least we have rope now. 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

I've really noticed the transition in Saab world. Everyone used to use three major forums for damn near everything. Now we have a few collective facebook groups and plenty of smaller model- or region-specific groups as well.

When I bought the JL I didn't even bother to find forums and instead went right for the facebook groups.

The biggest drawback of groups in my mind is the searching and categorization functions are far less user friendly or reliable.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

To be honest, I've pulled away from Facebox and tend to prefer meatspace over cyberspace. I used to be a heavy user of Edmund's CarSpace forum, but pulled back from that. I was never much into Instagram, Snap Cat and Twitter. It's been nice to get away from the boring, overly political crap.

In lieu of forums and social media, I've been reading a lot. Been getting through about a book a week.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:29 am In lieu of forums and social media, I've been reading a lot. Been getting through about a book a week.

(That's one more book to put on your list, right?)
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Mayhaps...haha
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

tankinbeans wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:29 am To be honest, I've pulled away from Facebox and tend to prefer meatspace over cyberspace. I used to be a heavy user of Edmund's CarSpace forum, but pulled back from that. I was never much into Instagram, Snap Cat and Twitter. It's been nice to get away from the boring, overly political crap.

In lieu of forums and social media, I've been reading a lot. Been getting through about a book a week.
Same. Deactivaged Facebook, don't use Twitter, Snapchat or instagram.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

watkins wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:40 pmThe biggest drawback of groups in my mind is the searching and categorization functions are far less user friendly or reliable.
Searching facebook is indeed nearly worthless.

IMO, however, the biggest drawback is having everybody all on a single site, owned by a single company...and a Big Brothery one at that.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Meh. If you were born, your info is pretty much public. Its damn near impossible to disappear these days anyway.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

watkins wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:31 pm Meh. If you were born, your info is pretty much public. Its damn near impossible to disappear these days anyway.
I didn't pull away because of tracking; I know it's inevitable and, frankly, I couldn't give two Shiites about it. Facebox turned into a major time suck and gave me anxiety over politics that I didn't need. Life has calmed down for me. Mission Accomplished.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

so, if you weren't born. You're like indivisible, right?

Now, does that include those of us who may have been cloned, hatched, manufactured by space aliens. Etc?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:55 pm
tankinbeans wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:29 am To be honest, I've pulled away from Facebox and tend to prefer meatspace over cyberspace. I used to be a heavy user of Edmund's CarSpace forum, but pulled back from that. I was never much into Instagram, Snap Cat and Twitter. It's been nice to get away from the boring, overly political crap.

Same. Deactivaged Facebook, don't use Twitter, Snapchat or instagram.
that might explain why you haven't been answering my private messages. :| :oops: :evil:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I didn't know they were there.

Ooo peas
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport