Vibrations and wierd noise

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
rubi
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Citroën AX

Vibrations and wierd noise

Post by rubi »

1-The car is shaking, literally shaking, I find myself shaky after getting out, the vibration is painfully visible.

2- when taking turns and turning the wheel back after, I feel and hear a noise that doesn't belong to the engine, it's wierd and it's like a metal movement that isn't smooth, I donno how to explain it. I went to the mechanic he just played with some screws but it didn't fix that much really, instead he faked deaf. I really don't wanna wait until I find something dropping off dead flat.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Re: Vibrations and wierd noise

Post by jomotopia »

shaking could be tires out of balance. or possibly something is amiss in the suspension/wheels which is causing both the shaking and the noise.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
gizmo
Master Standardshifter
Cars: tC

Post by gizmo »

I had a friend who had a problem not entirely dissimiliar to yours: he upgraded to a larger diameter rim and during suspension travel, particularly turns, you could clearly hear a grating sound (like a plastic garbage pale dragging across pavement); his tires were rubbing against the rear fenderwells.

How new is the car? Do passenger sense the vibrations? Because if the vibrations are localized to the steering wheel than that means something other than vibrations everywhere.
rubi
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rubi »

Well the car is a 1994 model (old), the passenger can feel the vibration, not as much as I do, but it's fel and seen...You just need to look at the stick.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I'm also suspecting motor mounts.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
rubi
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rubi »

Might be, the noise seem to be coming from the right wheel...
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

After I re-read your original post I don't think it's the motor mounts.

First, what kind of shaking is it? Is the shaking dependent on engine speed? If you sit in one spot and rev the engine a little, what happens to the shaking? Or, is the shaking related to the wheel. For example, does the vibration change as the car moves slower or faster?
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

#2 could be a control arm bushing.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
rubi
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rubi »

The shaking depends on the engine speed indeed. If I am revving higher, the shaking decreases. If I am moving, slow below 25mph there could be a slight shake depends on the revs still...it's perfectly stable up to 70mph, beyond that, the vibrations return...But that could also relate to the eng revvs, the higher the less it vibrates.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

So the vibrations change based on the engine speed regardless of how fast the car is actually going? In this case check motor mounts.

If the vibration is not really there until 70 mph then check tires.

Your post was slightly confusing as to what exactly is happening.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
rubi
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rubi »

I am confused, the wheels started making different friction noises..., it was more like rubber friction noises this time.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Check wheel bearings. I've had every symptom described in this thread turn out to be a wheel bearing. The worst part is that the bearings didn't fail the usual tests of trying to wiggle the wheel by hand or spinning it and seeing if it spins down immediately... :(
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

make sure all the lugs are tight, loose lugnuts will make it vibrate.

vibrations at highway speeds are usually alignment. does the steering wheel shake while driving too? if it does, take it in for an alignment. a good shop will put the car up and check the suspension to see what needs to get fixed and tell you to fix this and this and this and come back for an alignment (no point in wasting time and money on an alignment when you got a tie rod end going out or something and youll just have to turn around and realign it again). a hack shop will probably not give a shit and align it to get paid.

also you need to find a better shop. if a noise is blatantly obvious and the mechanic is saying he doesnt hear anything weird, hes obviously full of shit and doesnt want to work on your car.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

permabanned wrote:make sure all the lugs are tight, loose lugnuts will make it vibrate.

vibrations at highway speeds are usually alignment. does the steering wheel shake while driving too? if it does, take it in for an alignment.
Shaking is most often an unbalanced wheel, rather than alignment, especially if the steering wheel is vibrating. Alignment itself does not cause vibrations unless it's possibly way out of whack.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
rubi
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rubi »

I thought my car went nuts this morning:

1- I turned the key in the ignition and the motor was pretty shakey, it almost turned off, I pulled the choke out, it steadied a bit, still vibrating (usually with the choke it's perfectly still).

2- At 80 kmh in a slight turn, the car seemed to bend over the left a little, the wheels squeaked...(very unusual, but that had nothing to do with this morning madness, it was a yesterday night event)

3- The choke thing was wierd, I usually pull and push to adjust the rpms, and this mroning it was completely out of control, I stepped on the clutch, the rpms jumped!! :evil:

4- The motor was pretty loud, coarse...

5- Driving 5 hours later, it was rather slightly coarse, way smoother, not noisy, still vibrating a bit, but not that much.