'09 focus custom Air intake

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
PILL
Senior Standardshifter

Re: '09 focus custom Air intake

Post by PILL »

vedran wrote:theholycow is right. it applies to california only as they are very anal about emissions.
maskeet wrote: wut filters do you guys recomend?/
K&N
Though they flow really well, they don't filter worth a crap. I would rather lesson performance if it means my engine is safe from debris.
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

never heard of such a thing. used my filter for 3+ years and no problems. plus, it was $20 at Advance Auto Parts when i got it, compared to $45+ for the AEM dryflow.
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 VW GTI 1.8T 5speed

Post by mesaboogie18 »

I custom made my Short ram intake for my MAF equipped dub. It cost me about $40 or so for everything including the filter. It would cost around $150 or more for a name brand one that does the same thing, or about $35 for an ebay one.

I plan on replacing the air filter with an AEM dryflow filter later on down the road b/c I have a MAF as well and VW MAF's don't like oiled filters.

As for the size of the filter, it should be one size bigger than your intake piping. My intake pipe is 3 inches, so my filter is 3.25 inches. The easiest/cheapest thing to do would be to place the filter directly on the MAF, which is what I did before I built the intake, but it's better to have a straight section of pipe for the air to straighten out before hitting the MAF.
2004 VW GTI 1.8T

"Forgiveness is between them and God...I arrange the meeting"
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

wheres your brake booster at?

get a filter from advance or autozone for 20 bucks, it will work fine. if your rich, get a dryflow. dont bother oiling it, all it does is get oil on everything inside your intake. little microscopic particles of dirt dont matter, they burn up in the combustion chambers. filter is there pretty much to stop it from sucking up leaves and shit.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

go ahead. tahts what some people run in their turbo inlets. just a screen taht looks like a piece they cut out of hteir garage screen door and a clamp to keep it on the turbo instead of sucked in.

i drove around for a few days with an open intake, just my volume air flow meter hanging there. usually the MAF or your version of it is high enough in the engine bay that sucking shit in is pretty much impossible
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

permabanned wrote:wheres your brake booster at?
It's a VW. Everything is buried.
get a filter from advance or autozone for 20 bucks, it will work fine. if your rich, get a dryflow. dont bother oiling it, all it does is get oil on everything inside your intake. little microscopic particles of dirt dont matter, they burn up in the combustion chambers. filter is there pretty much to stop it from sucking up leaves and shit.
Sometimes I feel the same way, but really...those leaves and such will burn quickly, while grains of sand will never burn but will happily score your cylinder wall.

Even so, I don't think it's as vital as everyone makes it out to be. Who here knows anyone who has had an engine suffering from a problem caused by inadequate filtration? I'm sure plenty of people have opened up their airbox for the first time in 20,000 miles only to find that a mouse has chewed up the filter and left debris in the airbox to get sucked up by the engine (I expect this every time, mice destroy everything in my yard), but how many of them have needed their engine rebuilt as a result?

maskeet
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Ford Focus

Post by maskeet »

ok so i looked at my stock intake system and i found the MAF but before the box it looks like there might be another sensor or something... any ideas?

thanks for all the input so far!!
2009 Focus SE sedan
1994 Mazda B3000
1987 Buick Riviera - sadly all good things come to an end
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Post photos...

My truck has a doohickey right outside the airbox that's supposed to tell me when my air filter needs to be replaced.

maskeet
Senior Standardshifter

Post by maskeet »

ok i will post pics tonight when i get home. it is raining outside and i dont feel like being in the school parking lot takin pics lol
2009 Focus SE sedan
1994 Mazda B3000
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

yeah, thats your IAT sensor. the intake you buy for it will have a hole and a grommet for it
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2013 Ford Fiesta

Post by comingbackdown »

permabanned wrote:yeah, thats your IAT sensor. the intake you buy for it will have a hole and a grommet for it
Make one in an intake you build. Not too hard, actually.
2013 Ford Fiesta + a bike and a land yacht which are in pieces.
maskeet
Senior Standardshifter

Post by maskeet »

ok! i can do that now i just need to figure out if i have a PVEZ engine (which will make me sad) or not so i kno the wut needs to be done. i will post pics later cause when i got home last night i went to see fast and furious instead lol
2009 Focus SE sedan
1994 Mazda B3000
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

whats PVEZ and why would it matter
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

PZEV (Which I'm sure is what's meant) is Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle. It means the car meets SULEV emissions, has a gasoline vapor recovery system, and comes with a 15-year 150,000 mile warranty on emissions system components.

IF the car was originally sold in California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, or Washington, it was required. If it was originally sold in Arizona, Delaware, Idaho, Maryland, New Hampshire, Nevada, Ohio, or West Virginia, it was optional. Otherwise, it was not available.

The PZEV engine might use a different IAT sensor, or it might just be a canned question the auto parts stores ask, like asking auto or manal and does it have air conditioning when you're looking for a door handle.