interference engines and timing belt changes

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
kwak88
Senior Standardshifter

interference engines and timing belt changes

Post by kwak88 »

just curious... for those with "interference" type engines. what was your mileage when you changed your timing belt?

my cars previous owner changed it around 10k-20k... its now around 73k and 16 years later.

obvious signs point to getting the belt change now, but funds are an issue. (dealer says almost $500 including taxes and labor). how far can i drive it before it becomes pretty much a necessity to change?
1987 Nissan 300ZX N/A
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: interference engines and timing belt changes

Post by theholycow »

Just a guess from the peanut gallery: In your case, I'd be far more worried about the 16 years than the 50-60k miles.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
PILL
Senior Standardshifter

Post by PILL »

Change it. Unless, of course, you are planning an engine swap in the near future :mrgreen:
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

not sure what the recommended interval is. honda recommends 100k for timing belt. i second theholycow. 16 years is a lot of time for a belt to rot. when the t-belt goes on an interference engine, you're gonna be looking at a lot more than $500. or when it implodes, you can use that as an excuse for a swap. ;)

an independent shop should be able to do it cheaper. just make sure they use an OEM nissan belt instead of some cheapo aftermarket third party.
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

Correctly maintained/tensioned belts often would last longer than the recommended change intervals. As others have said, the age of the belt is putting the engine in jeopardy. Get it replaced ASAP. I wouldn't drive it knowing that it's that old, to be honest.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
kwak88
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kwak88 »

ok...im going to the dealer tomorrow.

it never struck me as being so urgent, because i have never actually heard of anyones engine failing due to a t-belt snapping. to be honest, i probably never would've known about it until i looked online (and apparently it is the biggest dam deal in the world!)

o well..
1987 Nissan 300ZX N/A