Potential issue?

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Potential issue?

Post by AHTOXA »

So here's the deal.

Sometimes when I launch I would feel the car shudder just a bit and briefly. I always launch low, nearly at idle so I never gave it much thought. The shudder is similar to one you'd get when your RPMs are a tiny bit low.

However, now I notice that sometimes during quicker shifts 1-2 I get that as well. It's not there all the time and appears around 2k RPM as I release the clutch in second gear. Generally this would happen during a fast shift but I don't mean a "clutch dumping" shift. I don't do those.

Ideas?
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Potential issue?

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Check the powertrain mounts. Might be one or more are torn. Have someone try loading the engine up against the brakes (just a little) in 1st and Reverse and look for extreme motion underhood.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

OOOOO I have an idea!!!!!!!
Learn how to post a single topic :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Check the powertrain mounts. Might be one or more are torn. Have someone try loading the engine up against the brakes (just a little) in 1st and Reverse and look for extreme motion underhood.
Thank you. You may be onto something here. There is something else that I noticed that might be related.

This happens at other speeds and other gears but most pronounced around 70 mph in 5th. If I step on the gas and let go, there's somewhat of a jerk when the engine torque fades and it starts engine braking. Feels like much slop somewhere in the mount. This could very well be related.

This could also explain why I've been having more jerky shifts lately.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

watkins wrote:OOOOO I have an idea!!!!!!!
Learn how to post a single topic :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What just happened?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I have not noticed the same behavior, though I rarely enter a gear at/above 2000rpm...and when I do I have to feather in the clutch to absorb rev hang.
AHTOXA wrote:This happens at other speeds and other gears but most pronounced around 70 mph in 5th. If I step on the gas and let go, there's somewhat of a jerk when the engine torque fades and it starts engine braking. Feels like much slop somewhere in the mount. This could very well be related.
Are you sure you're not just feeling the sudden end of rev hang or the delayed beginning of DFCO?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

I thought about that. While it could still be possible, I don't think so. I've never felt it being that harsh before. Usually I'm very in-tune with my car and when some new symptom develops I notice it and can point it out.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Takigu
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 98 s-10 4.3L vortec v6

Post by Takigu »

AHTOXA wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:Check the powertrain mounts. Might be one or more are torn. Have someone try loading the engine up against the brakes (just a little) in 1st and Reverse and look for extreme motion underhood.
Thank you. You may be onto something here. There is something else that I noticed that might be related.

This happens at other speeds and other gears but most pronounced around 70 mph in 5th. If I step on the gas and let go, there's somewhat of a jerk when the engine torque fades and it starts engine braking. Feels like much slop somewhere in the mount. This could very well be related.

mine seems to jerk alot if i pick my foot up quick off the gas might just be a slushie thing in my case but it might be the mounts as well hmm this makes me wonder now i'm gonna check this tomorrow
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

Takigu wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:

mine seems to jerk alot if i pick my foot up quick off the gas might just be a slushie thing in my case but it might be the mounts as well hmm this makes me wonder now i'm gonna check this tomorrow
John, my man... Gimme a call, brother, like sometime soon. Now I'm curious as well.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

you said you always launch low, so that rules out roasting the clutch and warping the flywheel. motor mounts gotta be the culprit

might as well get some solid motor mounts while your at it.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr