300zx Drifting Lesson gone wrong!!!! IDK WHAT THOUGH??!!

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
lil_bro
Junior Standardshifter

300zx Drifting Lesson gone wrong!!!! IDK WHAT THOUGH??!!

Post by lil_bro »

So today i was driving my recently purchased 300zx n/a and my friends wanted to see how well it drifts. I personally have never drifted on clutch before but i figured i'd attempt. When i was trying to drift i put it in second gear and hit the gas to raise the rpm's. The problem is, i was so focused on the rpms that i forgot to let go of the clutch!!!!! I rev'd it at 7k rpms for about 5 sec. or so and when i parked it back up there was a burnt smell outside the car. And it also has a little tapping noise as well.... At one point during the 7k rpm torture i tried to switch it to third gear and now my 3rd gear grinds as well.

What could the smell and the quiet tapping noise be?? Could the 3rd gear grinding be replaced with a new clutch kit??? Please help. :(
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Re: 300zx Drifting Lesson gone wrong!!!! IDK WHAT THOUGH??!!

Post by Bawked »

haha ur friends are fnf watching noobs. treat ur car wiv respect nig.
<3 fwd
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Post by mtheis »

Division by zero.

You probably floated the valves. If this 7k torture happened with the clutch disengaged, I doubt there was any damage to the gears.
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I can imagine the panic suddenly causing the driver to shove it hard into 3rd while at 7000rpm. If the synchro was marginal before, I guess it could have gotten chewed up.

It certainly sounds like the engine is the more worrying problem of the two. What's redline for that engine?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
kwak88
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kwak88 »

if its a z31, the redline starts at 5500
1987 Nissan 300ZX N/A
lil_bro
Junior Standardshifter

Post by lil_bro »

It's a 1991 300zx VG30DE. (Z32). Redline 7k. And thats where it was getting tortured. So how would i fix something like that? Sync the gears?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Hard to believe this would have anything to do with 3rd gear synchro function. If it did, it was already worn within 1 shift of starting to clash.

Can you still shift it slowly into 3rd without clash? (pushing softly on the shift knob)

Can you still shift into 3rd gear at low speeds without clash? (20 mph?)

Does the clutch friction point feel the same as before? Does it fully disengage the clutch when you foot is still 25mm off the floor? If the clutch isn't fully disengaging, that can provoke worn synchronizers to clash.

As for the engine, is there any chance that oil level was low or g-loading sloshed oil away from oil pick-up? Lifter with some air in it would explain ticking noise.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
lil_bro
Junior Standardshifter

Post by lil_bro »

If i push it in slowly in it will still clash a lil bit (only at low speeds). At about 20 it will clash a little more. When going about 30-35 it clashes pretty hard. Overall, what I've noticed is that the 3rd gear is very lose now. When its in gear i can move it back 'n forth pretty far. As for the clutch, i always disengage it fully and it works fine with all of the other gears. Just #3 got very hard clashing/grinding going on. And as for the engine, the noise and the smell went away. Well maybe a little smell was there, i think my brain is just playing tricks on me lol.. But in any case I drove it around today and it was just fine concerning the smell and the tapping (there was none).
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

worst case is you tore the shit out of your synchro and you'll probably need to get it replaced eventually. for now just take it easy, maybe you just tore it unevenly so thats why its acting weird. if you know how to double clutch you might want to double clutch into that gear for awhile just to make sure you don't completely destroy it. having to rebuild your entire tranny would be a bitch if you had to do it for 1 synchro that you thrashed with 1 mistake on 1 poorly decided drift
lil_bro
Junior Standardshifter

Post by lil_bro »

Hey, well if i buy and install a new clutch kit, will that solve the problem??
Caramel
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: [1999 Volvo S70]

Post by Caramel »

it could work... if the clicking is from the clutch.
but it won't help any grinding because the synchros are in the transmission...
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

lil_bro wrote:Hey, well if i buy and install a new clutch kit, will that solve the problem??
doesn't sound like it. sounds like your synchro(s) is/are blown and you'll need to take your transmission apart in order to get it fixed. hopefully that's the only thing that's broken :|

have you tried double clutching into third? it may make things a little easier on you
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Depending on your engine and gears, it may be easy enough to just skip 3rd entirely. In my car it wouldn't even be annoying...I'd have to skip two gears before it gets a little annoying.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I'm not sure if your trans has plastic pads on the tips of the shifting forks, but if it did and they cracked, the fork would be loose to the synchro sleeve and not push the sleeve far enough for the synchronizer to work properly. Might also get jump-out if that was the case.
How does 4th gear feel? Loose also? Any clash?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
lil_bro
Junior Standardshifter

Post by lil_bro »

The fourth gear used to clash, but since the drifting "accident" its transferred over into 3rd gear.... The fourth usually clashes sometimes if i downshift from 5th... Lol i know, its a little confusing... Well in any case guess i better start saving up for a mechanic :(