Isuzu Transmission issue

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
Reliznous
Junior Standardshifter

Isuzu Transmission issue

Post by Reliznous »

I have a 1993 Isuzu Rodeo, 4x4 3.2l MUA 5 spd tranny, and i just changed the clutch in it, while i was trying to take the transmission out of it i was alone and so i figured because of weight i would seperate the transfer case from the transmission, which after pulling the bolts and the case seperating 1/4" i figured it would not come apart. so i stuck 2 bolts in it to hold it back together and removed it from the engine. put the new clutch in, resealed the gap on the tranny/tcase by seperating them a little bit again, stuck them back together, and put the truck back together, and after putting it all back in i forgot to put the shifters in so i had to do that the hard way from the top and with small area to work in, but got it done. dropped the truck back to the ground and felt the pedal, feels good, shifted through the gears, feels right, put the tcase back in 2H, felt good as well. started the truck up, put it in reverse, let the clutch out and went no where, tried all 5 forward gears, tried reverse again, tried shifting the tcase, and nothing even with the clutch pedal out you can shift through all gears, i did how ever pull a bolt out just below where the shifter bolts to, that has a pin at the end of it, and when it went back in it bent a little bit, isuzu says the part is a reverse lockout pin, so i'm not sure if its supposed to lock linkage inside the transmission together, or if its relative to the problem at all.....any idea would be greatly appreciated.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Isuzu Transmission issue

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I would get a shop manual and try to figure out what might have gotten mis-assembled.

Any strange noises if you jack it up and then spin the rear wheels by hand?

Can you shift into Reverse with engine running and clutch engaged? I'd be almost certain you don't have a synchronized reverse gear, so if you can do that without biblical noises (wailing and gnashing of teeth), then either you really aren't shifting it any more, or the clutch is stuck disengaged.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Reliznous
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Reliznous »

you can shift through all of the gears with the pedal out doesnt matter, and it feels like the shifter is going through all the gates, just the transmission isn't transfering that through itself
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

You tried that with the engine off, or on?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Is there any way to see if the clutch release bearing is moving? Is there a hole you could look into the bellhousing through? Clutch should really feel way to light on effort if the bearing was sticking in the released position.

I'm really thinking it is in the trans itself, because it should gnash the sliding idler teeth going into reverse with clutch engaged and engine running. I'm not familiar with whatever trans came in the Rodeo, but I'm thinking that somehow the shifter didn't get reinstalled properly or some internal piece was out of place, causing that pin to get bent.

When the shifter is shifted, there are two sets of "feels". One is the detents and the other is the sliding of the synchronizer sleeves. I'm thinking you must still be feeling the detents, but the sleeves are not really moving because the forks are not moving because the rails are not moving because the lugs on the other ends of the rails are not engaged to the shift finger/lever on the bottom of the shifter. Maybe that pin serves to anchor a pivot point and the pivoting member is now translating instead of pivoting.

Else,...Any chance the transfer case is stuck in Neutral?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Reliznous
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Reliznous »

yeah it feels as though the clutch is disengaging, it is a pull style clutch, so once the bearing clips in it has no choice but to move, and yes you can change gears running or off clutch in or out it stil shifts, which is why i think it is in the transmission. According the tcase shift knob there is no neutral position its 2H->4H->4L, and yes your right it does definetly feel like the detents are what i'm feeling, and that the tranny itself isnt shifting, so i guess its looking more and more like i'm going to have to pull it out again and take the tranny apart :S