2005 Impreza RS5Speed Manual makes high pitched squeak noise

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
jasonca36
Junior Standardshifter

2005 Impreza RS5Speed Manual makes high pitched squeak noise

Post by jasonca36 »

On My 2005 RS Impreza 5 speed, I have 95,000 miles. For a few months now, after I drive 25 miles or so, the front of the car makes a high pitched squeaking sound that sounds like metalic whistiling.

It happens while driving straight at 60-80 MPH. Sometimes if I slightly move the wheel, it stops until the wheel goes back. It always starts lower than engine noise, then gets louder. At the end of the work day, there is no noise on the way home until about 20 miles in.

My mechanic has taken off the wheels, checked the wheel bearing and says I am good to go. He has driven it twice. Also, depresing the clutch, and up or down shifting has no effect, so do the articles I read about clutch clips or tranny bearings apply?

I can live with the noise, but is the car safe?? It very rarely makes the noise at low speeds when I first start up and roll in gear at 10 MPH or so, then it goes away.

Thanks to anyone that can help.....I drive 60 miles each way with a 3 year old!!
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Re: 2005 Impreza RS5Speed Manual makes high pitched squeak noise

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

My first thought would be the release bearing in the clutch. Does it increase or go away when you press the clutch? If not, then it might be a belt.
If it gets worse while clutching, it's probably the RB. If not, then it's probably a belt. A squealing RB might not be the best thing, but it's probably okay. A squealing belt could break. So best thing in that circumstance would be to replace the belt.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

If it sounds like whistling, it could actually be whistling. You said it's only happening at 60-80mph; my car has a very high pitched whine/whistle noise from air hitting the side mirror at that speed.

Whatever it is, the fact that it only happens after driving 25 miles and stops while you turn the wheel says it's probably only happening after whatever part heats up and expands into some other part's territory.

It could be a wheel bearing even if your mechanic gave it the usual tests. The noise might be the only symptom...I've been through plenty of bearings whose only symptom was noise at a specific speed, or whose first symptoms were noise at a specific speed. Are wheel bearings expensive for your car?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Does it make the noise while coasting in Neutral? With engine off while coasting in Neutral?

If it is chassis related it won't be there when the engine is off and trans is coasting in Neutral.

I've had wheel bearings go bad and the noise was sensitive to steering load. Might only be noticed on a curve, or might go away when turned to one side or the otter.

We had an example at work of a steering knuckle and wheel bearing from a lady whose car was "making noise". Seized wheel bearing had spun in the press-fit hole in the steering knuckle and worn it to the point that it was an elongated hole that almost came out through the top edge of the knuckle casting.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
jasonca36
Junior Standardshifter

Post by jasonca36 »

Hi & thanks. There is no noise in netural. Driving home tonight I could only hear it if driving next to a concrete divider to echo the sound, so it only got as loud as a squeak (metalic in sound/nature). Driving up the step hill to my house in second gear with the window down, I heard kind of the same sound but broken up. It was like squeak...squeak...squeak...Oh...and also, it does stop for a sec if I very slightly jerk the wheel to the right.....even just a tiny jerk. If it's a knuckle or bearing that is wearing out, is it really unsafe to be driving on? Or will the noise just get insane when it really goes bad? Could it be from excesive dirt? Sorry if any of this sounds dumb, I don't know much about cars. It is maintained properly (except washing), I use synthethic, and know how to use a clutch since way before the car was new. It's a little harder since 90k miles to put it into first or reverse smoothly, but it just seemed like normal wear, but besides that the clutch is all there.

Thanks,
Jason
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

listen underhood - maybe an idler on the accessory drive belt has a bad bearing?

Is the belt/are the belts getting old?

Engine related noise would proportional to engine speed, higher pitched in 4th than in 5th at a given speed.

Maybe CV joints on halfshafts? Would be vehicle speed proportional. Look at them for torn boots and/or leaking grease.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
nicks rubie
Junior Standardshifter

Post by nicks rubie »

I have a 2007 jeep Rubicon that recently have the clutch pressure plate and bearing replaced. I have now noticed a high pitch squealing noise. It seems to only do it between 3rd and 6th gear, only when I slightly accelerate, not when I push brakes. My idiot mechanic said that any noise that you cant here over the radio is ‘normal’. I refuse to take that for an answer.
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

maybe you need an alignment
jasonca36
Junior Standardshifter

Post by jasonca36 »

A few weeks ago it went almost completly away when I finally did brakes all around. I still have a similar squeek when turning hard right at slow speeds. It is getting old though, has always been parked outside, etc. It still handles and drives like it is all there. When I had to swerve the other day to avoid a car at a tool booth at around 15 MPH, I had the window down and there was no noise or clunking, and it responded very well, so I will have to live with some noises.

Thanks to everyone that checks this stuff.