2005 Dodge Neon electrical problems

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

2005 Dodge Neon electrical problems

Post by noob5,000,000 »

This is my brother's 2005 Neon. One day his car wouldn't start, so we towed it home, and found a wire knocked off the starter. We reattached it and then it started, and has done so reliably since then. But, after that, The airbag lights is constantly on, none of the HVAC stuff works, the power windows don't work and the reverse lights don't work
We're basically stumped on this, any help is appreciated.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Re: 2005 Dodge Neon electrical problems

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

Looks like maybe the wire when loose hit a ground and popped a fuse?

Check them and get back.
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter

Post by noob5,000,000 »

We've checked all the fuses and none of them are blown. I guess I should also add that it's an SXT 2.0 4-cyl.
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Post by mtheis »

noob5,000,000 wrote:This is my brother's 2005 Neon.
It's a Dodge. What did you expect?
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and reconnecting and see if anything resets.

Starter leads don't just fall off on a 4 year old car - even if it was only finger tight when built, there would be enough corrosion on the threads from 4 years of environmental exposure to stop it from coming undone by itself. Did someone play with it recently?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter

Post by noob5,000,000 »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and reconnecting and see if anything resets.

Starter leads don't just fall off on a 4 year old car - even if it was only finger tight when built, there would be enough corrosion on the threads from 4 years of environmental exposure to stop it from coming undone by itself. Did someone play with it recently?
It wasn't one of the main cables, it was just a small gauge wire that clips on to a prong on the starter.

Another thing worth mentioning, my dad did some research and asked a question on one of those 'pay for a mechanic to answer a question' things. He mentioned a fusible link in one of the wires coming off the starter, and if this link is tripped it could cause all that stuff to go out. But we were messing around with it today and it didn't appear to be blown.

Well next time we have the car in our hands (my brother recently moved out, so its kind of a pita to even look at the car) I'll look closer at it. It's nigh impossible to get to (those r-tards put the starter and crap directly under the intake manifold) maybe we just weren't getting the right grip on it to inspect it properly r something.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

noob5,000,000 wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and reconnecting and see if anything resets.

It wasn't one of the main cables, it was just a small gauge wire that clips on to a prong on the starter.

Another thing worth mentioning, my dad did some research and asked a question on one of those 'pay for a mechanic to answer a question' things. He mentioned a fusible link in one of the wires coming off the starter, and if this link is tripped it could cause all that stuff to go out. But we were messing around with it today and it didn't appear to be blown.

Well next time we have the car in our hands (my brother recently moved out, so its kind of a pita to even look at the car) I'll look closer at it. It's nigh impossible to get to (those r-tards put the starter and crap directly under the intake manifold) maybe we just weren't getting the right grip on it to inspect it properly r something.
Disconnecting the battery can trigger a reset of the confuser. Never hurts to try.
Yes, fusible links are used to protect circuits before they are protected by fuses or breakers, like the alternator wiring. I had to replace one once. It just seems odd that starter is functioning now if loose wire caused fusible link to blow when it shorted on sumpin. Did you check to see if the wiring to the reverse lamp switch was taken out by the same something that knocked the starter solenoid wire off? Ever see picture of the guy with the big snake living under his hood?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

mtheis wrote:
noob5,000,000 wrote:This is my brother's 2005 Neon.
It's a Dodge. What did you expect?
*BUZZ* Wrongo. I personally have never had any serious problems with Dodge...
However...

Hmm... "Neon".

Well, SHIT! There's your friggin' problem!
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter

Post by noob5,000,000 »

Resurrecting for lulz, we finally gave up and took it to a shop, they eventually discovered a 'bad wire'. Everything works now, winnar.