Motor mounts

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
rubi
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Citroën AX

Motor mounts

Post by rubi »

So I started hearing this loud clunk when on low gear especially when i jump on the gas and suddenly accelerate...And then i popped the hood when the car was still running, and pulled the throttle cable and the engine instead of non vibrating steady look, went slightly backwards towards the left side (driver's side i mean). So I guess that means what it means.

The question is, how long can the mounts last, how much damage do we expect if i waited for a while?

Note: So as the most recent accident hit my ac hoses, i went to the ac guy and he decided he should examine the system hoses by removing them first, although he was busy (to buy spare parts) and he removed the shield beneath the engine and when he put it on again he kinda tightened the screws so that the clunk wasn't a clunk anymore, it was more like metal on metal sound and instead of hearing clunks on 1st and second gears only when really accelerating hard or climbing up a hill on first gear, i hear this metallic sound whenever the car needs more torque to move...The upside that the engine seems to be shaking less at idle. (my idle speed is currently lower than it should be, tried to increase it but the space is tight and i don't have the right screwdriver size, or just pulling out the choke solves it until it reaches the op. temp, which is clearly not the issue, but I am not sure what happened down there.
mad_finn
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Cevrolet Caprice STW (at)

Re: Motor mounts

Post by mad_finn »

I'm not sure, but I belive you have same broblem as I did once...

There is rubber bushing between the engine side of attachment spot, and chassis side of attachment spot. and bolt will go trough all of these.
Now on one of the attachment spots this rubber bushing has worn, allowing the engine hit the chassis there, and will be needing a replacement soon, (as soon as possible of course)

Now this is just a guess, and I might be ttotally wrong, but I suggest that you check that first.
13litre engine, 18 speed manual, total weight 36tons.11 years on the road,700k.miles driven
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Your poor car is always having something go wrong
rubi
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rubi »

Yesterday we were going to the beach somewhere like 120km far from the city (1pm) and the thermostat hose cracked :x but that was an easy fix we got a spare one from a store near a truckyard and factories.

My right brake shoes gave up on me while i was taking a turn, luckily i had already slowed dow, could have been uglier, so we turned to the nearest city,examined the car and we realized we had to find a mechanic or at least someone to replace the shoes, surprisingly they were really skilled and really cheap and honest (which is incredibly rare around here)

Instead of the clunk another sound dominated, turns out the clutch bearing is squealing, I've changed the clutch disc before but I haven't changed the pressure plate with. Turns out it was stupid to change one and leave the other.

Anyway I still donno about the mounts but that should be the number one priority for now, and now i am not so sure the mounts had anything to do with it.

Anyway around 8 pm we managed to get to the resort, took a plunge in the dark, made fire, grilled sausages and had mango for dessert, and it was kidna fun expecially after the first 7 hours of this trip!
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

How far does (or did) the engine move when you hit the gas? There is a level of "acceptable" play; it sounds like it went outside those boundaries.
It is hard to diagnose this one (at least for me) without seeing the car.

Glad you ended up enjoying your time though! :D
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
rubi
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rubi »

Well it doesn't hit the hood, it doesn't look like it's loose but it slightly moves backwards towards the right (driver side i mean). That + the noise+ vibrations(car is aligned and balanced and nothing wrong with the steering wheel)...But the noise changed and now the car giving overall better performance(except for when it needs torque after a shift and that's because of the noise and vibration) but it clears more and more that the bearing is what's squealing when i am on the clutch and the noise seems like grinding noise and it goes away at some point when i let go of the clutch, so it really seems nothing like a motor mount right now. Also the shifter sometimes hesitate.

At some point that wasn't clear but now it is. I need to take care of that first.

Edit: following the note; the shield was kinda loose but it adds nothing to the noise it makes sense now.