Strange thumping noise

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Re: Strange thumping noise

Post by FDSpirit »

I'll take any advice I can get. As they said in auto class, the more descriptive you are of the problem, the easier it is to diagnose. Also, the PSI on the backs seem to have went down from the suggested value(33 psi for the backs). They're at like 28 :( . Is this because I haven't driven yet? I'm probably going to replace the backs anyways for winter, already did that for the fronts. I'm really just hoping its the f*cking tire. I'll let you guys know what happens tomorrow at the mechanic.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

FDSpirit wrote:Also, the PSI on the backs seem to have went down from the suggested value(33 psi for the backs). They're at like 28 :( . Is this because I haven't driven yet?
Do you mean that you had them up to 33 and now they're down to 28? That could be because of thermal expansion/contraction (33 could have been measured while they were hot) or it could be because of a leak.

When you read the recommended pressure, it specifies that it's the cold recommended pressure. If inflating after driving or when the weather is hot, add some more -- I think around 10%, though I'd always add more than that just to be safe.
Last edited by theholycow on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

Ok thanks. I'm just agitated about this, that I forgot that that's the cold psi number on the door. After my drive to work I'll double check it after the tires warm up.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

No prob, just chill out...you'll get it figured out.

Checking them when they're warm is difficult, because you need to do math. Check them when they're cold and inflate them cold to the recommended number or higher.

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Thumping strange is going on here.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

:lol: . Nice. Im calmed down now. Guess I was just stressing because I'm driving to NJ next week, and I wanna make sure everything is a-ok. You guys have helped a bunch :). A little off topic, but my car produces a TON of brake dust :lol:. I seriously have to clean the wheels every day.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

FDSpirit wrote::lol: . Nice. Im calmed down now. Guess I was just stressing because I'm driving to NJ next week, and I wanna make sure everything is a-ok. You guys have helped a bunch :). A little off topic, but my car produces a TON of brake dust :lol:. I seriously have to clean the wheels every day.
I've heard claims that new, ceramic-based brake pads don't have the dust problems that semi-metallic brake pads do.
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

i've never heard of ceramic brake pads, that actually seems like a bad idea. ceramic is an extremely poor heat conductor, and brakes work better with heat. obviously its not only ceramic and there will be other things in there too, but that just seems odd to me
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

LHOswald wrote:i've never heard of ceramic brake pads, that actually seems like a bad idea. ceramic is an extremely poor heat conductor, and brakes work better with heat. obviously its not only ceramic and there will be other things in there too, but that just seems odd to me

WAGNER - Front Ceramic Pads
Item #: QC673
1 Per Vehicle

Limited lifetime warranty (View Details)

OPTIONAL CERAMIC REPLACEMENT

THERMOQUIET
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

No doubt, it is either a synthetic lubricant injector for the muffler bearings, or an accumulator for the blinker fluid reservoir.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Did you check the cold pressure and add air until it matched or exceeded the specification yet?

Ceramic brake pads are nothing new, and they're not made of the same stuff as your mom's good china (why are dishes called "china" anyway?).

There are a couple products that can be applied to the wheels to prevent brake dust buildup.

There are brake dust covers that go between the wheels and the brakes; I had them on my Pontiac and they didn't work, but they did look stupid.

There are products that aren't made for protecting wheels from brake dust, but I think they'd work great:

Plasti-Dip spray. It's an aerosol version of stuff that was originally made to dip tool handles in to coat them in rubber. The spray goes on thin, almost as thin as paint, and can be peeled off easily. There is a clear version of it. I don't know just how clear it is, but it might work well for this job; spray on, peel off when it's covered in brake dust, and spray on again.

Then, this:
http://www.rainx.com/Products/Bug_Tar/Shield.aspx
Bug & Tar Protective Shield
Spray on. Drive. Wash away bugs & tar.

Rain-X® Bug & Tar Protective Shield is created on a simple idea that bugs and tar can't damage what they can't touch! Bug & tar residue can damage your vehicle. This revolutionary aerosol spray creates a thin barrier of acrylic polymer to shield your vehicle from bug and tar residue.

Water-soluble formula easily washes off, carrying all potentially damaging debris with it!

FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

I didn't get a chance to measure to cold air psi today. Im getting my friends compressor tomorrow to try it. I need to go out of town with a few people, so I need to push my appointment back. Since the shop isn't open on Sunday, I can take the tire off and see if I notice anything strange. I may switch the tires(the 2 back ones briefly) and take it out for a ride and see if I still notice the noise on the same side. I'm almost 100% sure its on the passenger's side. With both windows down, the noise is coming from the right. Nothing on the left.
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

LHOswald wrote:i've never heard of ceramic brake pads, that actually seems like a bad idea. ceramic is an extremely poor heat conductor, and brakes work better with heat. obviously its not only ceramic and there will be other things in there too, but that just seems odd to me

wtf, climb out from under that rock your living under. ceramic brakes are the best street brakes out there right now outside of supercar carbon on carbon brakes. ceramic brakes been out forever now

heat is the killer of brakes. street car brakes need to be cold to work. do about 4 or 5 panic stops from 60-70 and then tell me street car brakes work best when they are hot. obviously nothing works worth a shit when its -40 out, but still, heat = brake fade = no brakes. its a scary feeling when your going 70 and have to stop and the brake pedal feels like you stepping on a pillow and the car isnt slowing down because your pads and rotors are so hot, they stop working

race car brakes do need heat because of the pad compound. race car with cold brakes stop about as fast as it would if you stuck your arm out the window to slow it down, racing brakes do not work when they are cold, but like i said, thats all pad compound. at those temperatures that racing brakes run at, street pads would literally melt.

i wouldnt put anything less than a ceramic pad on any car im driving. ceramics stop better, they resist brakefade better, and they dont dust.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2013 Ford Fiesta

Post by comingbackdown »

theholycow wrote:Did you check the cold pressure and add air until it matched or exceeded the specification yet?

Ceramic brake pads are nothing new, and they're not made of the same stuff as your mom's good china (why are dishes called "china" anyway?).

There are a couple products that can be applied to the wheels to prevent brake dust buildup.

There are brake dust covers that go between the wheels and the brakes; I had them on my Pontiac and they didn't work, but they did look stupid.

There are products that aren't made for protecting wheels from brake dust, but I think they'd work great:

Plasti-Dip spray. It's an aerosol version of stuff that was originally made to dip tool handles in to coat them in rubber. The spray goes on thin, almost as thin as paint, and can be peeled off easily. There is a clear version of it. I don't know just how clear it is, but it might work well for this job; spray on, peel off when it's covered in brake dust, and spray on again.

Then, this:
http://www.rainx.com/Products/Bug_Tar/Shield.aspx
Bug & Tar Protective Shield
Spray on. Drive. Wash away bugs & tar.

Rain-X® Bug & Tar Protective Shield is created on a simple idea that bugs and tar can't damage what they can't touch! Bug & tar residue can damage your vehicle. This revolutionary aerosol spray creates a thin barrier of acrylic polymer to shield your vehicle from bug and tar residue.

Water-soluble formula easily washes off, carrying all potentially damaging debris with it!
Simple solution:
Get all the brake dust off, apply Duragloss 151, go get a beer.
2013 Ford Fiesta + a bike and a land yacht which are in pieces.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

comingbackdown wrote:Simple solution:
Get all the brake dust off, apply Duragloss 151, go get a beer.
What is Duragloss 151? Its website didn't exactly explain to me how it would work in this application.

Beer is good.