won't shift into 1st or second sometimes, need help

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
B-man164e
Junior Standardshifter

won't shift into 1st or second sometimes, need help

Post by B-man164e »

i have a 1973 volvo 164 it has been running fine until recently when I parked it and it wouldn't shift into reverse, which is on the upper left next to 1st.
then it wouldn't shift into 1st or second. that is I couldn't push it into gear, it felt like there was no neutral. then it suddenly went back to working perfectly fine. it will shift into 3rd and 4th as well as overdrive fine but those other gears feel stuck. If i push hard it will go into 1st and 2nd but it takes 2 hands to do that. two time i parked it and my dad jiggled the shifter and it shifted just fine again. this is very confusing. It even has our mechanic confused although he hasn't looked at it yet. anyone have any idea what is wrong? thanks
IMBoring25

Re: won't shift into 1st or second sometimes, need help

Post by IMBoring25 »

Are these sometimes when the vehicle is stopped? That would make this perfectly normal. If the clutch has been in for a while, the input shaft is stopped. If the vehicle is stopped, the rest of the transmission is stopped. With all the gears stopped, the gear teeth are either lined up properly or they're not. If they're not, you need to move the teeth until they are. You can use a gear that the transmission will go into to move the gears around a little bit, let the clutch out for a split-second and put it back in, or let off the brakes enough for the car to roll a little (If you're on a hill and have the room).
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: won't shift into 1st or second sometimes, need help

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Well, there's your problem: You went and parked it. What were you thinking?

Is your clutch disengaging completely? If not, it will interfere with the shifting. Try the same shift with the engine off vs with the engine running. Just keep the clutch pedal fully depressed and try shifting into and out of each gear position. If it makes no difference between engine running or not, then the clutch is probably disengaging fully and that isn't your problem. What is the shift linkage like? Rods external to the trans? Cables? If external, check that nothing is obstructing the linkage, like something hanging atop the trans levers. If cable, check to see that cable ends are clipped to the shifter and the bracket at the trans. Check bushings at all connectors for excessive looseness.

Is there a device on the shifter to restrict shifting into Reverse, like a lift ring? Check to see that it isn't getting hung up in the shifter boot, or that it isn't broken and hanging in the way of the shift lever.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"