Irregular engine sound, and I smell gas.

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo V6

Irregular engine sound, and I smell gas.

Post by ElectroGhandi »

Maybe one of you car students can help me with this one. My Rodeo is running a little rough, and kinda makes a chugging sound, but only slighty. Also, when I turn it off and get out, I can smell gas a lot.

Any ideas?
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Re: Irregular engine sound, and I smell gas.

Post by LHOswald »

your engine is probably running rich. when an engine runs rich it can idle irregularly, cause you to get more power but extremely terrible fuel economy and since all the fuel isn't burning off completely it goes through the headers, into the catalytic converter and out of the exhaust as an air fuel mixture. the biggest problem about running rich is that your catalytic converter can absorb to much gas and then the heat from the exhaust can cause it to explode :shock:

but other than that no biggie...

edit: do you seem to get more power or less power? cause i just re-read your post and you said it chugs, as in it idles to low as opposed to to high? almost stalling easier too? if this was the case i would want to say head gasket
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter

Post by ElectroGhandi »

The power doesn't seem to have changed. And it's not so much chugging as it is just making a sort of ticking sound. I might see if I can record a video because it's really hard to describe.
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter

Post by LHOswald »

a ticking sound could be your timing belt, which might explain the gas smell because the valves could be opening at improper intervals
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Post by mtheis »

2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

mtheis wrote:Image
+1 Irregularity and smelly gas respond well to"The Pink One"
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Is the chicken gin light on?

IFSO FATSO (a Latino phrase that means "Put down that chicken leg when I'm talking at you!"), ide check the Oh-Two sensor (wiring OK? Connector corroded or unplugged? Sensor blown?)

Also, gas fumes could come from charcoal canister if you've been overfilling the fuel tank.

Worst case for overloading the catalyst with fuel is that when it gets hot it burns off the excess fuel and gets abnormally hot - hot enough to cause a thermal event with the carpeting over the floor pan tunnel.
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

LHOswald wrote:a ticking sound could be your timing belt, which might explain the gas smell because the valves could be opening at improper intervals
If he has pushrods, then it would be rod knock, or if overhead cams, then valve lash.

Essentially a timing issue.

Either that, or your cat is messed up and you are smelling unburnt fuel.
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter

Post by ElectroGhandi »

I'm thinking it's a head gasket because I found this video of an Isuzu Amigo (essentially a 2 door Rodeo) and mine sounds exactly the same.

ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter

Post by ElectroGhandi »

http://sixpop.com/files/1176/1005091811.3g2

^ Video. I tried to YouTube it, but the audio was scrambled so there's the file, which Quicktime will be able to play.
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

ElectroGhandi wrote:http://sixpop.com/files/1176/1005091811.3g2

^ Video. I tried to YouTube it, but the audio was scrambled so there's the file, which Quicktime will be able to play.
You've got a miss/dead cyl which could be caused by a number of things. The sound wasn't good enough for me to tell if that cylinder was firing at all or just intermittently, but there's an issue nonetheless. When was the last time the plugs were replaced/gapped?
You'd do well to pull the plugs out and find out which one is fouling up (look for excessive blackness). The smell of gas means unburnt fuel. So pull those plugs and tell us what you find. It's likely fuel delivery is not an issue since you can smell it when you rev it; I'd put my $ on a spark issue.

Remember you need 3 things: compression, spark, and air/fuel mixture to make an engine run.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

padauk_dust wrote:
ElectroGhandi wrote:http://sixpop.com/files/1176/1005091811.3g2

You've got a miss/dead cyl which could be caused by a number of things. The sound wasn't good enough for me to tell if that cylinder was firing at all or just intermittently, but there's an issue nonetheless. When was the last time the plugs were replaced/gapped?
You'd do well to pull the plugs out and find out which one is fouling up (look for excessive blackness). The smell of gas means unburnt fuel. So pull those plugs and tell us what you find. It's likely fuel delivery is not an issue since you can smell it when you rev it; I'd put my $ on a spark issue.

Remember you need 3 things: compression, spark, and air/fuel mixture to make an engine run.
Compression is over-rated. Engines can be made to run with very low compression ratios, they just might not be all that efficient (unless their expansion ratios are still respectable)
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter

Post by LHOswald »

padauk_dust wrote:Remember you need 3 things: compression, spark, and air/fuel mixture to make an engine run.
technically thats 4, because if you had air but no fuel nothing would happen, and fuel but no hair nothing would happen. but really its 5 because you also need the ability of movement from the crankshaft, camshaft etc. with them being blocked or seized its not going to do much

so the 5 things you need are compression, spark, air, fuel and ability of movement
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

LHOswald wrote:
padauk_dust wrote:Remember you need 3 things: compression, spark, and air/fuel mixture to make an engine run.
technically thats 4, because if you had air but no fuel nothing would happen, and fuel but no hair nothing would happen. but really its 5 because you also need the ability of movement from the crankshaft, camshaft etc. with them being blocked or seized its not going to do much

so the 5 things you need are compression, spark, air, fuel and ability of movement
Well I'm gonna to go then! And I don't need any of this! I don't need this stuff, (he pushes all of the letters off the desk), and I don't need you. I don't need anything except this (he picks up the ashtray) and that's it and that's the only thing I need, is this. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray. And this paddle game, the ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need. And this remote control. The ashtray, the paddle game and the remote control, and that's all I need. And these matches. The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control and the paddle ball. And this lamp. The ashtray, this paddle game and the remote control and the lamp and that's all I need. And that's all I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one - I need this! The paddle game, and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches, for sure. Well what are you looking at? What do you think I am, some kind of a jerk or something? And this! And that's all I need. The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, this magazine and the chair.
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
LHOswald wrote:

Well I'm gonna to go then! And I don't need any of this! I don't need this stuff, (he pushes all of the letters off the desk), and I don't need you. I don't need anything except this (he picks up the ashtray) and that's it and that's the only thing I need, is this. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray. And this paddle game, the ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need. And this remote control. The ashtray, the paddle game and the remote control, and that's all I need. And these matches. The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control and the paddle ball. And this lamp. The ashtray, this paddle game and the remote control and the lamp and that's all I need. And that's all I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one - I need this! The paddle game, and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches, for sure. Well what are you looking at? What do you think I am, some kind of a jerk or something? And this! And that's all I need. The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, this magazine and the chair.
wat